PDA

View Full Version : concave bangle wire

blingthing
20-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Hi there,
I am looking for 8 x 2 mm concave wire to make a torque bangle like the attached pic. (notice that the inside is flat) Either that or suggestions on how to make it. I know I can put wire with something on top through the rolling mill but wondered if there were any other suggestions.
Many thanks.

Dennis
20-04-2015, 02:32 PM
In am not sure that wire exists in the UK, but you might find it at Rio Grande (US), or Karl Fischer(Germany).

Alternatively you might make it on a sinusoidal stake, as an anticlastic bangle.
The Cookson ones are traditioal: http://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?query=Anti+clastic+stake
And the Sutton Tools Ones are made from resin: http://www.suttontools.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=anticlastic+stakes.

Our moderator PS Bond also makes some less expensive ones for sale. Dennis.

ps_bond
20-04-2015, 02:37 PM
The only issue with making it as an anticlast is that it won't be flat underneath; I would expect that example to have been cast.
As for mine, I'm nearly done on the latest batch.

blingthing
20-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Thanks for that info, I have the sutton anticlastic stake so could give that a go. I haven't used it yet, would 2mm thick sheet be too thick do you think?

caroleallen
20-04-2015, 04:11 PM
I would think that the only way to do that by hand is to solder two edge wires onto a strip of flat sheet. That particular one has almost certainly been cast though.

As for hammering 2mm thick sheet on a sinusoidal stake, I struggle with .8mm.

blingthing
20-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Ok, sounds like hand making is a no go! Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

susieq
20-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Does the first definitely have a flat back? I would have thought that the edges would look very chunky and thick if that were the case but they don't to me. I've dabbled with a few anticlastic bangles and 2mm seems quite thick to me to start off with. I think the thickest I have worked with was 1mm and it took a lot of effort and annealing; once you put an anticlastic or sinclastic curve in a piece though, it does become quite a lot stronger than a flat piece. Does it have to be 2mm? Why not have a go with a thinner piece in, say copper before you decide it's a no go?

ps_bond
21-04-2015, 07:06 AM
As for hammering 2mm thick sheet on a sinusoidal stake, I struggle with .8mm.

I can do 1.5mm, but it's not fun. A large part of the point of the anticlast is to use the structure you develop for its strength - so using thicker materials is counter-productive.