PDA

View Full Version : Flux snowstorm

MJC
20-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Hi,
Trying to solder some rings at the moment. I'm using a borax cone and dish with distilled water, sterling silver and Sievert torch with a fine tip. After applying heat the flux turns clear. I place the solder onto the join but when I apply further heat the flux expands rapidly and I end up with a huge mass of white fluffiness on the ring which I then have to clean off before trying again. It's puzzling and frustrating so if anyone can suggest where I'm going wrong I would be grateful. Thanks, Michael.

Goldsmith
20-04-2015, 10:27 AM
I use a borax cone method, I flux the joint, heat it until the flux bubbles up and then goes clear, then I pick up the solder pallion in tweezers, dip it in the borax, then blow off the excess borax from the solder before sitting it onto the still hot joint, when the fluxed solder heats up the solder pallion sticks in place over the join. Then it's time to gently heat up the whole piece with the torch so that the solder runs through the join.

James

MJC
20-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks for passing on your soldering routine, James. I'll give it a try this afternoon. Perhaps I have been over fluxing.

CJ57
20-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Or perhaps just heating up too quickly, it is a bit volcanic compared to the liquid fluxes

LydiaNiz
20-04-2015, 01:18 PM
I use the same borax/flux method. Agree it may be over fluxing. I usually get a bit of fluffiness, but if you sit it out it settles down almost immediately. As long as it doesn't blow the solder completely out of place I wouldn't worry too much.

Dennis
20-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Some of us are too impatient to deal with the flowering of borax, so as Caroline has suggested, we use Auflux/Auroflux instead.

You might decide to join us. Dennis.

LydiaNiz
20-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Dennis, I've got my auflux in a spray bottle now as suggested. I do use it more as a result. But still sometimes forget. Old habits!

Dennis
20-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Ha Ha, well Ive known people to use anhydrous borax in alcohol to avoid that bubbling, but you might set your hair alight.

MJC
21-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Thank you all for your help. Yes, Caroline, volcanic is the word I left out of my description. The flux often carried away the solder and left it high and dry. I've tried the method suggested by James (with less flux and gentle heating) and it is a lot better. I'll add Auflux to my next order and experiment with it.

Michael

Dennis
21-04-2015, 09:08 AM
I'll add Auflux to my next order and experiment with it.Michael
Well then as Lydia mentioned, you can transfer a washed pump from an empty soap dispenser to the Auflux bottle. They usually fit and make it easier to use.

LydiaNiz
21-04-2015, 07:01 PM
I was thinking of you today Dennis - used my trusty spray all day. The borax cone isn't speaking to me.

CJ57
22-04-2015, 12:42 AM
Whichever flux I use and it used to be borax, I always warm up the flux with the torch to get it tacky with auflux or less volcanic with borax and then I add my fluxed pallions of solder and by and large they stay in place. A little prod in place with a pick or tweezers usually sorts out any strays, unless they have fallen down the holes in the honeycomb brick:/