PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on silverware and news about...inside ring engraving!!,

Katia
16-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Hi there,

Last time I posted here was probably at least 2 years ago.

I used to introduce myself as being a gun engraver, however during the past 2 years or so, I have ventured into quite a few different fields. Watches ( yes, engraving marine grade stainless steel, the hardest steel of them all!), guitar parts, etc etc.

I am now very used to Cutting different metals. But until now, I never thought I would enjoy engraving portraits in silver. Letters, scrollwork on silver, yes. But portraits of animals?? How on earth do you give the different greys?

Turns out I now absolutely love workin on silver!! The bird on this silver beaker has not been inked or oxydised. Thought you might be interested in seeing the results.

Also, I have now started practising inside ring engraving. I thought I would go mental trying to do that esoteric skill. Turns out I am starting to get O.K and think next month or so, I will engrave on real rings rather than plumbing stuff. Really excited about this!!!

medusa
16-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Hey Katia!

Nice to see you back! I have sadly not managed to progress any further on the project we were talking about.

Hope you show more of your amazing work.

Liz

Wallace
16-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Hi Katia,

lovely to see you back here too. I know I see you on FB, but love seeing your work and that is, like all your creations, so beautiful.

Didi
16-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Hi Katia, glad you're back. Love the bird - clever you!

ps_bond
16-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Hi Katia - nice to see you back.
How different is it getting the greys on silver as opposed to steel? And what's Daniel up to?

(I presume you weren't engraving any arsenic...!)

Tabby66
16-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Hi Katia, Lovely to see you back. I always remember being wowed by your gun engraving.......doesn't look like that is going to change!! Wow, beautiful work!!

caroleallen
17-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Gorgeous work.

LydiaNiz
17-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Really lovely stuff!

mizgeorge
17-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Lovely to see you back Katia - and you really are very, very clever :)

enigma
17-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Thats fantastic!

ShinyLauren
17-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Just amazing! Such detail!

Beadjoux
18-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Wow, that is stunning! I have such a long way to go...

Katia
21-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Hello there and thanks everyone for your very kind words!

Sorry for the late reply,Peter, but let me try and explain why I think silver was a bit of a challenge to engrave.

The softness of it is what makes it tricky for me. Steel allows me to give so many tones because of its relative hardness. With silver, you can easily get only a few greys, not enough in my opinion to make it appropriate for portraitures.
The few silver bits I engraved to start with, well, I really had this kind of monotone/ monochrome thing going on. And I did not like it .
I tweaked the way I engrave and so, this is so hard to explain! A lot of the lines where engraved with different kind of pressures.

Mmh, still not sure it makes sense.

Apart from that, Daniel is doing well actually! Always so helpful and resourceful.

And no, I did not use arsenic for this engraving, but maybe it is not such a bad idea...

SJEgan
11-05-2015, 09:08 AM
Absolutely stunning work!

Sammyjean
11-05-2015, 09:20 AM
That is breathtaking, the bird, I admire the skill and time it must take, really amazing! Quality to aspire to.
Sam