PDA

View Full Version : Crimps and covers

Di Sandland
03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Does anybody else get in a faff with crimps and covers, or is it just me? I have such an awful time with crimps that instead of using them I tend to use a bali bead or such like to cover the crimp (don't like uncovered crimps).

And another thing, while I'm on a roll. Am I the only person who finds that when I use the second bit of the crimping pliers the whole bloody thing just becomes round again, thereby undoing the crimping and allowing the stringing to fall out?

:'(:'(

mizgeorge
03-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I gave up on them a long time ago!

I either use tornado crimps (which look fine uncovered) or use magical crimping pliers, which make a ball anyway!

Di Sandland
03-09-2009, 04:33 PM
oh am I glad its not just me. That's the beauty of sharing eh? Find out we're all on the same page.

Emerald
03-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I too cover my crimps with a metal bead just think the cover things are to flimsy,i dont have a problem with the reballing crimps though and having just bought some tornados i think they are great.

Di Sandland
03-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Its obviously tornados here I come then.

just had a look at them - now why haven't I found them before. Duh!

Petal
03-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi all,:~:

They are a pain, arne't they! I use my crimping pliers, but as I sometimes find the crimp doesn't hold at stage 1 of crimping, I attach my carob/toggle etc into a clamp thingie that I have on the side of my desk, crimp one side with the wires held apart, then carefully without moving the crimp, get hold of my clamp thingie, move it round so the crimp is level with the front part of the crimping plyers, and then re-crimp into a circle and voila (sounds complicated, now that I explain it)!, I have managed to crimp my wire......

Come to think of it, having looked at these tornado crimps, I might give those a go, as these look a helluvalot easier than using crimps and then adding covers over the crimps.

BTW I find putting the covers over the top even more of a pain, as I don't have any massive plyers to do it with, so use my hand to push the cover over the wire and slowly close it over the crimp cover. Depending on the quality and supplier, means they are either quite dif. to close, or are so thin that they close really easily and then you don't have a neat finish :(|

[]

Jules x

Di Sandland
03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
LOL, Jules - and so say all of us! Bloomin things they are - I get more crimp covers on the floor than I do on crimps. I've bunged em all into my waste pot.

Emerald
03-09-2009, 06:05 PM
With crimps you have to get the wire just in the correct posistion but with the tornados you just slot them on and squash:)

AlexandraBuckle
03-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Yep I ALWAYS end up re-rounding my crimps on the second go.

Also, I have never managed to successfully to crimp two bits of beadalon together... It never seems to work for me.

I will also be looking into these Tornado crimps....

Petal
03-09-2009, 08:19 PM
I have tried the Beadalon site recommended way of crimping, but that didn't work at all. :(| However, the way I have learnt to do it is to make sure that the wires are held apart, not together, so that when you crimp it the first time it will crimp each wire seperately. Then you turn it over to then fold it into a circle. Then, I usually leave at least an inch of wire and feed it into the beads, so that it doesn't poke out, as I like to leave a bit of give in a necklace/bracelet.

off to put my sainsburys delivery away and then a glass a wine (or two!)...:~:

Love
Jules

EmmaRose
03-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Link for tornadoes please....sound good!
Em

Di Sandland
03-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Em, I just googled em so not sure if this (http://www.beadbiz.co.uk/ShowDetails.asp?id=205) is the best supplier cos I've never used them.

EmmaRose
03-09-2009, 09:04 PM
IJL shopping list I think :)

mizgeorge
03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
good grief they're expensive!

Try here http://www.thecrystalphoenix.com/sterling-silver-crimps---crimp-beads--tubes-81-c.asp

or here (though I know Debbie's having shop problems at the moment)

https://sslrelay.com/www.beadservice.com/sess/utn154aa03a1ccd09c/shopdata/index.shopscript

You can also get them direct from the US, but the exchange rate doesn't really make it worth it at the moment.

Di Sandland
03-09-2009, 10:06 PM
now that's more reasonable!

AlexandraBuckle
04-09-2009, 09:08 AM
So do you still use normal crimping pliers with them...? They look quite long. Much prettier though.

Emerald
04-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Hi Alexander No you just squash them with flat nose Pliers:)

AlexandraBuckle
04-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Ooh that sounds much easier!

Petal
04-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Morning All, :~:

I've been looking at getting some thong calottes that look similar to the bayonette clasps below, but have a lower section in the middle that you squeeze with plyers to hold the cord/leather in place?

http://www.cooksongold.com/product_detail.jsp?prod_search=NVF+226A&submit.x=14&submit.y=7

Any preferences ?

Jules x

mizgeorge
04-09-2009, 09:35 AM
For thong and other cords, I tend to use crimp ends from another supplier. I'd get them from Cooksons if they stocked them ;)

EmmaRose
04-09-2009, 09:57 AM
For thong and other cords, I tend to use crimp ends from another supplier. I'd get them from Cooksons if they stocked them ;)

Now you just can't tease us like that MzG!:dance:

Di Sandland
04-09-2009, 10:19 AM
:": to what George said. I love these little things, there's a little bit in the middle of the tube that you squeeze with your pliers. They're neat and easy and I would buy them from Cooksons too if they stocked them.

mizgeorge
04-09-2009, 10:20 AM
The one beginning with P. With the worst customer service in the world at the moment (unfortunately).

Di Sandland
04-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Too true - I've been waiting on a delivery for ages.

Emerald
04-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah and the worst delivery time in the world:(

Ominicci
04-09-2009, 01:18 PM
I haven't ever had a problem with them but I haven't placed an order for a few months.

I have been toying with the idea of getting the Magical crimping pliers. There are different sizes from what I can see, for different sizes of softflex. Does that mean you can only use them with 'softflex' or is that just a marketing ploy? Do they work on any crimps on any wire?

mizgeorge
04-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Do they work on any crimps on any wire

They seem to work on any 2x2 crimp - I think, like everything else, the better quality (thicker walled) are more reliable. And they definitely work on any wire - I use them on sterling wire as well to hold things in place, or to make an instant headpin. The different sizes are supposed to be for .019 and .014 beading thread, but to be honest, I find the smaller ones slightly more useful, and end up finishing just about everything off with them.

As a bonus, they make a nice little pair of mini-flat nosed pliers for awkward jump rings as well :)

Ominicci
04-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks George! On my list now...if only I could find my master list...:juggle: