PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to rouge?

Vos
20-03-2015, 05:39 PM
I did try a forum search but never find much success with that so apologies if this is a repeated question...

I am now working in an open plan kitchen/lounge/diner with cream carpets and after a good polishing session the other day I noticed that the soles of my shoes were bright red! I knew the dust from rouge gets everywhere but I don't want my entire flat to become red. I like to be able to pack away and not feel like I'm living in a workshop.

Soooo, any decent alternatives that hopefully don't give off such invasive plumes of dust. Or at least doesn't stain so easily (I put my hand on the floor the other day when reaching into a low drawer and left three perfect finger marks in the carpet :'( ). Oh, and I'm polishing by pendant mops.

Many thanks

Vos

joella
20-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Hi Vos, I'm sure I read somewhere on the forum that luxi polishes are easier to clean up as they are water based - but don't take my word for it, as I don't really know anything! I have just got a sample set of luxi polishes but haven't used them yet and as I've never used polishes before, and I wouldn't have anything to compare them to anyway.
yours not very helpfully,
sue.

Goldsmith
20-03-2015, 06:35 PM
You could try polishing inside a plastic container like this home made effort I spotted on a Facebook group.

James

ShinyLauren
20-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Love the plastic container idea!

Vos, I've used Luxi and Menzerna, which are both easier to clean up (both from jewellery and fingers) but the mop still flings the stuff everywhere.

My former flatmate renamed our spare room The Room of Red Dust.

caroleallen
20-03-2015, 07:20 PM
That plastic container is a great idea. I use Menzerna which is much cleaner than rouge but even with an extractor, the black fluff off the mop manages to find its way into every corner of the room. I've now got a "polishing porch" which at least keeps the muck out of the studio. We all always have black moustaches by the end of the day as we must be rubbing out top lips.

metalsmith
20-03-2015, 07:21 PM
You could try polishing inside a plastic container like this home made effort I spotted on a Facebook group.

... with which you'll be able to see what you're doing for all of 0.3 seconds #-o

but it might keep your new flat cleaner

I use tripoli, rouge and some some of that new Luxi all on (different) mops ... sometimes heading off out of the house wearing my 'blusher' - usually all over my nose!

A sample carpet square underneath the mop works well ... only I use the lounge. At 5 x 4 m it catches most of it :rofl:

ps_bond
20-03-2015, 08:02 PM
You'd be surprised how effective a setup like that can be.
While at Jura's, we used a polyprope barrel that had been cut on a slant, the base cut out and a perspex window glued in. A couple of hand holes big enough to get the micromotor in as well (and, TBH, a scope over it as well).
Now Jura sells a perspex box for the purpose.

enigma
20-03-2015, 08:16 PM
i use Luxi on felt pendant points mostly which seems to not make too much mess and results in a great finish.

Vos
20-03-2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys, the concesus appears to be luxi. I'll try the sample set as Joella suggests. Enigma thanks for the reassurance on finishes (you know how anal I am about those). In fact I've been having trouble with 'misting' on my finishes lately so might be time for new mops and waxes all round. Just to rule those out

Love that idea of the box James. While it may need wiping down regularly, I'd much prefer that to ruining brand new carpet. Think I'll be heading to my local Olde Worlde Sweet Shop very soon. Gotta be worth a shot.

Thanks all, some real food for thought there, as ever :)

And Amen to blusher Metalsmith!

enigma
20-03-2015, 09:50 PM
Meant to say Vos, Ive got the sample set too, it lasts for ages anyway so seemed the best plan.

Vos
20-03-2015, 10:48 PM
Thanks Sarah. Just got a nice refund from electric company so that's going on my list along with some platinol. Still have an outstanding free shipping left that needs using up too, so it's all coming together quite nicely. Might try your felt pendant points too. Could I ask do you use these on all surfaces (ie large flat) without swirl marks?

enigma
20-03-2015, 11:49 PM
Um, I think the largest flat areas Ive done are about 20mm or the bangles at 10mm by about 30mm each end so not huge flat areas but they work ok for me.
I hope you will like it, I know different folk seem to get on with different products so its hard to know for sure.
I do use a felt mop around raised areas if the point can't reach in enough but mostly just the points on their edge or top.
You know Im just a novice though so Im not saying its the right way lol

art925
21-03-2015, 04:38 AM
Is it worth considering the silicone wheels working down the grades then a final finish with your polish and mops. It would cut down on the dirty aspect tremendously. Then if you can also contain your polish dirt in a similar see through structure. It may be a solution.

Patstone
21-03-2015, 07:25 AM
I am only a hobbyist but I put all my stuff in the tumbler first and then polish by hand if needed, I work in a spare bedroom so I know the problems as my whole house has a pale "dijon mustard" pale creamy beige carpet. I used to work for a flooring company so had the best quality they could give me, with a herd of dogs now since I retired, one being a black labrador who every time he lies down it leaves a black patch no matter how often he is groomed.
Something that I have just thought of, nothing to do with making jewellery, but making your room tidier, when I had a one bed house my craft area was inside a double Ikea wardrobe, had to strengthen it a bit but at least it keeps the area tidy when the doors are closed.

enigma
21-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Do you mean the Everflex ones Art925?
Thats what I use, I find that if I work through to the green then it doesn't require that much polish to get a good finish and as you say less mess.
I apply the Luxi blue with a felt pendant point slowly so it doesn't get too messy then a separate felt pendant point on a higher speed to polish. Then finish with the peach colour usually for a brighter shine.
No idea if Im doing things 'right' or not though, just what works for me :)

caroleallen
21-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Or you could get - drumroll - a Jooltool! For some reason the felt mop makes far less mess than the mop on my polisher. In fact, I can often get away with doing a quick touch-up on a polished piece and not ultrasonicing it. A quick rub with a polishing cloth and its good to go. I honestly love my Jooltools and they're in use all the time. Couldn't live without em now! The other good thing is that it has a hole for a hose at the back, so you can quickly connect up to your vacuum cleaner and the dust and dirt is sucked out of the atmosphere. Result!

CJ57
21-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Or you could get - drumroll - a Jooltool! For some reason the felt mop makes far less mess than the mop on my polisher. In fact, I can often get away with doing a quick touch-up on a polished piece and not ultrasonicing it. A quick rub with a polishing cloth and its good to go. I honestly love my Jooltools and they're in use all the time. Couldn't live without em now! The other good thing is that it has a hole for a hose at the back, so you can quickly connect up to your vacuum cleaner and the dust and dirt is sucked out of the atmosphere. Result!

I think you should get commission from Jooltool Carole, you've probably been much more beneficial to their sales than cleavage lady:)
I can't think of anything more disastrous than rouge and White anything Vos. I have an extractor on my Dustmaster but you wouldn't know it. My walls could really do with painting as the plasterboard has had shelves taken down etc but every time I go to wash them they just turn pink so it would be pink walls from white paint!
I wear an apron, old shirt, scarf round my head and over my mouth still because a mask steams up the specs, it's a lovely sight. Luxi doesn't seem quite as bad but it's never going to be a clean job:/

Vos
21-03-2015, 11:08 PM
Um, I think the largest flat areas Ive done are about 20mm or the bangles at 10mm by about 30mm each end so not huge flat areas but they work ok for me.

That's big enough for me, I'm not ready to hand raise salvers yet ;)

And thanks all for the brilliant info, I'm off to do some pricing :)

art925
22-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Do you mean the Everflex ones Art925?
Thats what I use, I find that if I work through to the green then it doesn't require that much polish to get a good finish and as you say less mess.
I apply the Luxi blue with a felt pendant point slowly so it doesn't get too messy then a separate felt pendant point on a higher speed to polish. Then finish with the peach colour usually for a brighter shine.
No idea if Im doing things 'right' or not though, just what works for me :)
Well I use another brand but Cookies sell the everflex, which I believe come in all shapes and sizes. The radial disc set would also be a good option. Working throuth the grades.

Vos
22-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Well I've ordered some everflex wheels and pendant points so look forward to trying those. I'd love a Jooltool Carole, but can't quite stretch to that at the mo.

Plus, a very lovely member here has offered me some blue and white Luxi. This place just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling sometimes :)

Thanks all for your help. Onwards and upwards

*edit* Though now having just re-read and spotted the mention of peach luxi , I'm now wondering if I should have ordered some :-()

enigma
22-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Lol! I think the white is fine too, can't even remember why I use the peach but the blue is good for polishing out any fine scratches left after the green ever flex .
FWIW I never use the ultrasonic either just a wipe with a silver cloth in daylight.

Vos
22-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Gah! And silver cloths... I knew​ there was something else #-o