PDA

View Full Version : Make your Mark 2015 - Student Event

SteveLAO
20-03-2015, 12:36 PM
On 17th and 18th April 2015, London’s Goldsmiths’ Hall will host the UK’s biggest careers event for students of jewellery and allied trades. Following the huge success of last year’s inaugural Make your Mark which attracted 800 students from across the British Isles, the event will now be extended over two days and will deliver even more inspiration, advice and networking opportunities.

Make Your Mark is a completely free tutor–student event open to anyone studying on a UK-based precious-metal-related course (full- or part-time) whether at degree level or on a short adult education or private tutored course.

Led by the Goldsmiths’ Company Assay Office, and supported by the Goldsmiths’ Company and the Goldsmiths’ Centre, the event will provide a packed programme of inspiring talks from leading figures in the trade, live demos, ‘new designer-maker’ exhibition, careers advice and much more besides.

Organisers are delighted to announce that Theo Fennell, one of Britain’s leading jewellery designers, and Michael Wainwright, Managing Director of Boodles, will be giving the keynote speeches, underlining their commitment to nurturing talent and the future of a great British trade.

Other key elements of the event will include:

- A careers zone featuring recruitment agencies, social media experts and design protection services
- Numerous trade exhibitors, including key suppliers and trade organisations
- Displays of diamond cutting, stone polishing, pearl stringing, hand engraving, hallmarking and more....
- A spectacular exhibition of work from students and residents of the Goldsmiths’ Centre
- A tour of the Goldsmiths’ Company’s renowned library

As part of the event, the Goldsmiths’ Company Assay Office is offering all students attending who are not already registered for hallmarking in London an exclusive Hallmarking Package for free. This unrivalled package comprises of a ten year registration, one sponsor’s punch (featuring one of the Goldsmiths’ Company Assay Office’s standard designs) and laser software set-up in preparation for laser hallmarking.

Experts from the Goldsmiths’ Company, Assay Office and Goldsmiths’ Centre will also be on hand to offer friendly advice on hallmarking, internships, grants, and training opportunities.

Ask your tutor for more details, or you can contact me direct: steve.collins@assayofficelondon.co.uk

Vos
20-03-2015, 05:17 PM
Oh man I wish I was still on a course... Looks amazing. Maybe catch next years

pearlescence
26-03-2015, 02:02 PM
I'm tremendously excited...I'm going to be one of the exhibitors, hopefully convincing students that pearls are a lot more than white, round and 7mm, as well as showing how to string pearls with knots on silk

pearlescence
02-04-2015, 06:49 AM
Is anyone from this forum going to be there, apart from me and SteveLAO?

ps_bond
02-04-2015, 07:28 AM
I'd love to - but I'm not on a course either.
I doubt that CPD qualifies :)

Tabby66
02-04-2015, 06:53 PM
I'd love to - but I'm not on a course either.
I doubt that CPD qualifies :)

Not on an officially registered academic course either :(

Beadjoux
16-04-2015, 11:40 AM
This is fantastic! However, I have JUST finished my course, I registered with Birmingham Assay Office this week, and we have friends staying for the weekend. #missedtheboat

SteveLAO
16-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Oh nooo......That's a real shame. We contacted all the tutors some time ago to get them to tell their students.....

Tabby66
16-04-2015, 10:34 PM
Think that's the problem from those of us replying to this thread Steve......we're not currently students so letting the tutors know wouldn't have found us lot :(

Beadjoux
18-04-2015, 07:27 AM
Oh nooo......That's a real shame. We contacted all the tutors some time ago to get them to tell their students.....

Just before Easyter I completed 20 weeks at Milton Keynes Arts Centre with Clare Layton. She never mentioned it, is she on your contact list?

SteveLAO
20-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Hi Tabby66,

Yes i guessed as much, but you never know who you might know! I tried to get the word out all over the place so that as many knew as possible, in case family or friends may be on courses and you could tell them all about it!

It was an amazing two days and we've just completed the tidy up now....hundreds and hundreds of students and tutors came over the 2 days, and poor pearlescence looked exhausted but happy on Saturday evening so I think she had a good event!!

Beadjoux, please give me all her details and I'll check and confirm she is on our hit list! Thanks

pearlescence
20-04-2015, 11:00 AM
I had a wonderful time, thank you Steve. Yes, I was tired - and certainly so by the time I got back home (after midnight..thank you virgin)
It was great to meet students and show them that pearls are more than 7mm white and round...and also to meet all the other exhibitors
My uber-highlight was standing in the Drawing Room lobby though, looking at all the names of the past masters of the Company and being amazed that there I was.
Oh - and The Queen was on last night so there was I like a loon shouting 'I was right there'..'exactly right there' (points at screen)

Tabby66
20-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Really glad to hear that the event went so well and you had a really good time :)

susieq
20-04-2015, 10:17 PM
I had a great time too - extra bonus to find out that a broken bracelet that my mother left was in fact 9ct gold. Spent quite a while watching in awe the diamond cutter; found it hard to believe he couldn't find an apprentice to pass on his skills and wished I was 25 years younger.

Was lovely to meet you Pearlescence and your gorgeous pearls - was originally thinking white round pears for my next project but I think I have been persuaded to be slightly more colourful!

pearlescence
21-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Lovely to introduce you to the huge world of pearls Susieq. Nothing wrong with round and white, but, as you've discovered..the envelope is so much bigger and more full.