PDA

View Full Version : Website searches

CJ57
17-03-2015, 08:34 PM
Can someone please explain this to me?
I put brass brush into the search and up came a varied half dozen and then every sort of metal clay.
I redefined to brass hand brush and if I remember correctly from that seach there was the above plus soldering kit and other non related items 40 +!

Forever a trier I went to the tools drop down and clicked on hand brushes. The first item was a wooden handled soldering probe and even a pin vice! How are we supposed to buy anything unless we have the catalogue and product number in front of us. Spending money shouldn't be this difficult :/

ps_bond
17-03-2015, 08:55 PM
In the words of Edmund Blackadder, "Yes, I can..."

I suspect it's doing a full text search on the description. In the first of the metal clay entries is the text:

After the clay has been fired, Picklean pickling solution can be used to safely remove oxidisation, before brushing off with a brass brush

This is part of the reason I still prefer my dead tree catalogues!

CJ57
17-03-2015, 09:51 PM
Mmm. I got that with the first one but not sure how soldering picks and pin vices came up the the last one. Even pickle was in the list, of ID wanted pickle I would have searched pickle
I have to agree with Liz that they need 2 catalogues so that you don't come up with another 49 items of useless info when you are looking for a tool!
The brush I was actually looking for turned up in the catalogue along with clay but it's not nearly as robust as the last one. It is a brush though, why not with other brushes grr:/

enigma
17-03-2015, 10:13 PM
The joys of internet search engines! lol

Dennis
17-03-2015, 10:33 PM
Its them gremlins Caroline. I put in Brass Brush and got this:

http://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?query=Brass+Brush. Dennis.

CJ57
18-03-2015, 12:04 AM
That's what I got Dennis but the brush was in the clay section when I eventually found it! It has taken me 2 hours to place my order as it kept on going back to an old basket I'd looked at from last year and every time I added a new item I suddenly had 6 old ones. I think I've now aged about 10 years :/

I was looking for pickle tongs and these were in the mix
http://www.cooksongold.com/Crystal-Clay/Beadsmith-Pick-It-Up-Vacuum-Tool---For-Gemstones-And-Crystals-prcode-997-3133

Rob Taylor
18-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Hi, thanks for the feedback on this, it's highlighted a few issues for us...
The results from Hand brushes using the Tools drop down are clearly showing some spurious items that look like they've been categorised incorrectly, we can fix that. The results from the search bar are working as they should however, The top of the search list is showing most relevant items and the terms 'brass brush' and 'brass hand brush' are appearing in some variant in the description of the other product.
We are scheduled to upgrade our search engine later in the year so hopefully we will be able to refine the functionality at that point
rgds
Rob

CJ57
18-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Thanks Rob, the other problem I had last night was with past baskets. I had searched a basket last year looking for something specific I ordered, would have been better checking back the invoices in the first place, I came out and went back to the things in my present basket and every time I clicked buy it went in to a basket of 6 items instead of 2 @£18. This just repeated itself no matter what I did so in the end I had to start at the beginning and order the first 2 all over again. It was very irritating and I just about gave up. Even changed computers but of course the website hadn't changed its behaviour when I logged back in!
Every time I log in I have a full basket anyway and if you don't remember you've got to empty it first you start off with 1/2 dozen items. As I only order online these orders have been made and paid for. I've noticed a few others complain about the same problem in previous discussions

Lucie
18-03-2015, 11:25 AM
I spent an irritating amount of time attempting to find sanding rolls. Tried sanding rolls, polishing rolls, sanding drums, sanding, etc, etc.
Tried to find them listed in Pendant Drill Accessories - Nope?!?

Eventually found them under "Sander Rolls" #-o

Rob Taylor
19-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Hi
thanks, we'll try to get that changed today
rgds Rob

Rob Taylor
19-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Thanks Rob, the other problem I had last night was with past baskets. I had searched a basket last year looking for something specific I ordered, would have been better checking back the invoices in the first place, I came out and went back to the things in my present basket and every time I clicked buy it went in to a basket of 6 items instead of 2 @£18. This just repeated itself no matter what I did so in the end I had to start at the beginning and order the first 2 all over again. It was very irritating and I just about gave up. Even changed computers but of course the website hadn't changed its behaviour when I logged back in!
Every time I log in I have a full basket anyway and if you don't remember you've got to empty it first you start off with 1/2 dozen items. As I only order online these orders have been made and paid for. I've noticed a few others complain about the same problem in previous discussions

Hi
We do occasionally get this issue, I've cleared down your previous old baskets so when you next log in you should get a clear basket
rgds
Rob

CJ57
19-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Thanks I would have done that myself but I sometimes use them to check on a particular item I want to reorder to save me searching my invoices which are out in the workshop. Still if it stops the ful baskets....:)