PDA

View Full Version : This is the necklace that i finally put to paper

bustagasket
02-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I decided i would show you the design that a few weeks ago just would not become clear enough to put to paper.

I dont want it to be flat i want it to be domed all the way down the serpents body but i also want it to curl around the chain thereby supporting itself. I want the chain to come through the mouth end locking it ont the chain and i want it to look like it is about to eat the teardrop crystal/stone hanging at the centre. I should also like it if two tiny stones could be mounted for eyes or something to produce colour there.

I originally just wanted the single serpent to just come down one side, but drew the other options, even tho i still favour the one sided one for just being a little different, i also included a very very rough ring and earrings.

This will involve an awful lot of techniques - the doming, the spiralling and the setting and i dont know which order anything should be done in. Nic once asked me to draw a picture so that you might be able to advise me on a) whether its possible and b) what order the processes should be done in.
Pictures not ultra clear as is usual for me but i hope you can just about see it.

Emerald
02-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I would try to shape it first before you twist it as once twisted it would be harder to reach the inner bits, shape it first then anneal to make the twisting easier.

Di Sandland
02-09-2009, 10:38 PM
OMG, that's very ambitious Su'. You should go for it tho, its a brilliant idea. This is an ouroboros and it symbolises the cyclic nature of everything - you know the stuff, there is no real death, just rebirth. Nice symbolism.

The Dragon
02-09-2009, 11:04 PM
I love it, no matter how long it takes you really should make it. Apart from teaching yourself new skills it's a fab bit of designing too. :Y:

bustagasket
03-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Thanks guys! i think the nature of it dictates that i do it at college perhaps so that i can shout if needed, the eyes are the worrying bit and i can see them not getting stones as they really would be minute, so not sure how to get around that but i really wanna have a go.

Solunar Silver Studio
03-09-2009, 07:19 AM
On the design front - for your preferred one snake option ... wouldn't you need something on the other side of the chain to make sure the snake stays put....? The way I see it - the weight of the snake would have the tendency to drag the chain around so that it was at the bottom of the arc unless there was a sort of counterweight on the other side to keep him in his place!! Obviously, if he brings a friend all will be OK!:Y:

My other suggestion would be to take this with you when you go to Nic's and see what you can do with pmc.... and you would be able to set your tiny stones in it that way..... just a thought!!:D

bustagasket
03-09-2009, 08:22 AM
On the design front - for your preferred one snake option ... wouldn't you need something on the other side of the chain to make sure the snake stays put....? The way I see it - the weight of the snake would have the tendency to drag the chain around so that it was at the bottom of the arc unless there was a sort of counterweight on the other side to keep him in his place!! Obviously, if he brings a friend all will be OK!:Y:

My other suggestion would be to take this with you when you go to Nic's and see what you can do with pmc.... and you would be able to set your tiny stones in it that way..... just a thought!!:D

Hi B, yes i did worry about the offside weight, so i was hoping if the stone teardrop was heavy enough it might act as the couterweight?

I have never even seen PMC let along worked with it so i dunno whether it might be too much for one day lol, now if i was there for a week! then at the end of the week i might be able to lol but yeah, PMC would probably be far easier lol

EmmaRose
03-09-2009, 10:16 AM
will the snake be hollow? I would dome, make holes(at mouth etc) then twist.Stone setting is always last. You can get a pro stone setter to do it for less than £5 a stone depending on size and complexity (otherwise a whole new skill). I always gypsy set tiny stones (and I love 2mm or less!)
Em

Bernie
03-09-2009, 10:22 AM
That looks scarily hard. How will you form it?

bustagasket
03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
will the snake be hollow? I would dome, make holes(at mouth etc) then twist.Stone setting is always last. You can get a pro stone setter to do it for less than £5 a stone depending on size and complexity (otherwise a whole new skill). I always gypsy set tiny stones (and I love 2mm or less!)
Em

Yes it will be domed, but i really dont want to have someone else set the stones cos it wouldnt feel like it was all my own work. I dont have a clue what gypsy setting is.

That looks scarily hard. How will you form it?

With great difficulty!!!

Bernie
03-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Yes it will be domed, but i really dont want to have someone else set the stones cos it wouldnt feel like it was all my own work. I dont have a clue what gypsy setting is.

With great difficulty!!!

Tears of laughter... I know that feeling.

Pandanimal
04-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Su' that is a wonderful design. I'm guessing if you have a big enough teardrop and a light enough snake it should hang ok?
Good luck with it. Will we get to see loads of work in progress picies?

bustagasket
04-09-2009, 06:13 AM
yeah i guess so :D

EmmaRose
04-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Gypsy setting is where the stone is flush with the metal surface. usually only suitable up to 3mm
Em