PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a special project please

*moo*
20-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping that someone could please give me some advice?
I'm fairly new to jewellery making & my knowledge & skills still fairly basic however my best friend who has more faith than me has asked if i will make jewellery (stretch bracelets) for her 6 bridesmaids. She has seen an idea of stacked sterling silver, pearl & swarovski bracelets with charms and wants 3 each person.
I've searched about but am confused - some people say they use professional grade jewellery elastic - but what is that? I apologise in advance if this is rather a stupid question? I have seen Stretch Magic and Powercord but am unclear what is the difference between these and professional grade? I want to make sure that I use the best materials I can and would hate for anything to go wrong :(
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thankyou :)

Sassoon
20-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Hi,I'm no expert but I'll give it a shot,on the few occasions Iv done stretch bracelets, which was quite a few years ago I seem to remember that stretch cord comes in different thicknesses and grades,I usesd to always double over mu cord for added safety and pop o blob of glue on the knot because this will be your wea point. Have a look on http://www.beadsdirect.co.uk/beading-threads/elastic-cord/
hope this helps.

CJ57
20-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Hi Moo welcome to the forum

I'm not sure if anyone can answer your question, I have no experience of elasticated bracelets but in the meantime you might find the answers you need on the bead company websites who usually have a guidance page. Maybe try Beadworks or similar and then check back, someone may come back later with some help

Dennis
20-02-2015, 08:13 PM
You might also like to enquire in a beaders forum such as: http://ukbeaders.forumup.org/ Dennis.

Moon Willow
20-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Hi Moo

My partner who has a great deal of knowledge on this subject will answer your query,

Hi Moo :) there are good elastics and not so good so spend as much as you can afford is the best advice :) it is true, put a blob of glue on the knot but be careful as some glues will rot the elastic :/ if you are going to use real pearls you may find it difficult to thread the elastic through without using a reamer first :) swarovski pearls should be fine :) personally, I don't make stretchies simply because of the problems with elastic, hope this helps
Dianne
Carlton