PDA

View Full Version : Three Simple Tricks for 2015.

Dennis
16-02-2015, 09:59 AM
Making Your Own Emery Disks.
Emery disks are quite handy for quickly removing lumps and bumps, for instance those caused by stray solder and are best used with the rough side outermost. They will also sharpen wires into pins and give a subtle texture on metal sheet.
There is no need to buy a whole box, because treated gently they will last for ages.
Using sharp dividers, scribe a circle of the required size onto the smooth side of gritty paper and with one or two turns you will have a disk with a pinhole centre.

A Pump for Auroflux
Try screwing the cleaned up pump of an empty handsoap container on a 250ml bottle of Auroflux. There is a good chance that it will fit, although the tubing might need a trim. That’s it.

New Life for Nylon Beaked Pliers
Nylon beaked pliers are very useful for holding, tweaking and adjusting, without marking your work. However they eventually become quite ragged at the ends.
As they are only held in place with screws, think about reversing them. They will need a little adjusting with a file, so that the screw holes line up, but that is quickly done. Dennis.

Tabby66
16-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Great tips Dennis!! :ta:

I make the emery discs as you describe, (though initially I didn't worry which way up the emery paper was and wondered why one side of my dividers had become less sharp and shorter :rofl:. I use 2 emery discs at a time though, with smooth sides together and rough surface outwards, they are great for getting into the tightest of spaces!!

susieq
16-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Very timely tips for me Denis; was only yesterday using my nylon pliers and lamenting how ragged they were looking.

Definitely going to try the emery discs too.

Thank you!

Aurarius
17-02-2015, 02:36 AM
though initially I didn't worry which way up the emery paper was and wondered why one side of my dividers had become less sharp and shorter :rofl:.
If you don't want to dull the points on your nice Starrett or Moore & Wright dividers you can use one of these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPASS-CUTTER-CIRCLE-RADIUS-CUT-PAPER-RUBBER-VINYL-LEATHER-ARTS-ART-CRAFTS-NEW-/271744388265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f453a4ca9).
Nice tips, Dennis.

Kathryn Harrison
17-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Great tips! I'll be trying the emery disks.

Kat

Dennis
17-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Thank you all for your replies.

Jill, I was interested to read that you are mounting two together. I have tried using two with the grits facing, to insert pins for sharpening for instance but the angle is too acute unless you are into acupuncture.

Susie, you will see on my picture that the pliers are marked Blundells (late lamented), so I have had them for some time with no hope of finding spare jaws.

Mark, yes I should respect my tools more but I am lazy by nature. Regards, Dennis.

ShinyLauren
19-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Love the emery disc tip - never thought about mounting two back to back either!

Petal
19-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Many thanks for the tips Dennis, especially the Auflux pump and the little paint dish to put solder strip into.:D