PDA

View Full Version : Inside Bangle holder??

camalidesign
12-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Hi all,

I make a bangle that has a number of set stones around it in little collets, but my problem is how to hold the bangle while cutting seats and setting the stones! Is there such a thing as an "inside bangle holder" just like there is for rings? My vise isn't big/deep enough so I risk breaking stones and marking the bangle badly every time I do this, which is not good and very nervous... I have attached a pic of the bangle in question but I guess this goes for a lot of similar jobs.

Any ideas, gang?! :)

Carin

Goldsmith
12-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Carin, I made this engravers wooden clamp way back when I was an apprentice, so it has lasted me for over 50 years, I used it the last time I had bangles to engrave patterns on, it might be worth considering.

James

enigma
12-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Love those bangles!
I put mine on the bangle mandrel and rest it on a sandbag to set stones, not ideal but works ok.

Dennis
12-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Wind electrical tape or masking tape around a rolling pin, until the bangle can be wedged on. Then you will have an inside bangle holder.

Dennis.

mizgeorge
12-02-2015, 12:57 PM
I do much the same as Dennis, or use my lovely GRS vice, which is fab for this sort of thing, though I do use a piece of leather to protect the silver from the jaws.

Lovely to see you Carin - hope all's well!

camalidesign
12-02-2015, 02:17 PM
Hi all!

I knew I would get lots of helpful suggestions here! :)

James, I love all your custom tools and things you've made over the years! Thanks for the tip, looks good and could then be held in a normal vice for stability I guess.

Enigma, thanks! Sounds OK but I think I need something which can be "hands free" so I can set those stones well.

Dennis, love your Blue Peter idea! :) Not sure why I haven't thought of that myself! Again, I guess that the pin could then be held in a large vice, but not sure how stable that would be.

George, all good here thanks! Baby Maja Daisy arrived on the 4th of November and all is well! :) So, I have the GRS system too, but not the vice, I will look into that as I love the GRS and the bits I have for it so far, it really is a great piece of kit! I only have the setters package now but think I shoudl have got the inside ring holder as well adn perhaps now the vice then, it just grows with every attachment you have, which I love!

Carin

enigma
12-02-2015, 05:27 PM
If you rest one end of the mandrel in a groove and the other on the sandbag you can use both hands to set the stones :)
Although I do like James wooden clamp, think I need one actually!

josef1
12-02-2015, 11:28 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100MM-3-JAW-LATHE-CHUCK-DIN-QUALITY-6350-/290515598453?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item43a4143c75

If you could find a cheaper maybe second hand 3 jaw chuck and screw it to a base that could be attached to the bench it would hold things well, maybe use a wide silicon band on the jaws to stop it marking the bangle

Kathryn Harrison
13-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Carin, I made this engravers wooden clamp way back when I was an apprentice, so it has lasted me for over 50 years, I used it the last time I had bangles to engrave patterns on, it might be worth considering.

James

I would love to make one of these! (Or really find someone else to! *runs off to see if her borther really does want to learn wood working*)

Aurarius
13-02-2015, 11:46 AM
I only have the setters package now but think I shoudl have got the inside ring holder as well adn perhaps now the vice then, it just grows with every attachment you have, which I love!

Carin
Carin, if you've got the setter's package (https://www.hswalsh.com/product/grs-benchmate-setters-package-tb994674) it should have come with an inside ring holder. You certainly need it , or something similar, for a lot of ring work.
Mark.

camalidesign
21-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Mark,

Perhaps it wasn't the setters package I bought then, cos mine only came with the standard "holder". I did think at the time that perhaps I should have also bought the inside holder. I have a wooden inside ring holder that you just hold or screw into a vice which works fine, but of course doesn't turn like the GRS does on its base.

So new on the wish list are vice and inside ring holder for my GRS! :)

Carin