PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Green Agate

Londoner2015
08-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Hi all. I did a degree in jewellery 20 years, and just getting back into it. However, I never really spent much time on setting stones. So… the first cabochon setting i tried, ended up marking the stone. I've looked at the forum and can't find the best way to polish up dull stones. There was mention of Polygold 2000, but couldn't find it for sale. Any advice? I have a pendant motor, and a desk polishing motor with mops, so i guess i just need to know what polish to use. Thanks so much :">

Tabby66
08-02-2015, 06:02 PM
The polygold is available here http://www.goldschmiedebedarf.de/product_info.php?products_id=11231 and does work very well.

metalsmith
08-02-2015, 06:06 PM
You might be set on refurbishing this piece, but green agate ... is it worth the hassle? If, now it is set, the answer is yes, then a previous thread here may help:
http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-6408.html

Welcome along btw :)

Londoner2015
08-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Thanks so much to you both. And yes, the stone is cheap so why bother I guess. I'm just anticipating more errors before I get it right. Thank you for the links :)

metalsmith
09-02-2015, 06:05 AM
Thanks so much to you both. And yes, the stone is cheap so why bother I guess. I'm just anticipating more errors before I get it right. Thank you for the links :)

I'm in a similar position, wrt starting out and making mistakes, so I'm using stones which are affordably replaced. I've only ruined one to date :^o ... ok two! But then I've budgeted for making a few mistakes as a cost for the learning curve.

Unless it has a certain 'way-up' you could reset it upside down. Alternatively if you have a polisher you could either chuck it in there to re-polish or save it for a rainy day when #-o you're 'mistakes' stash has grown (slowly we hope) to the point of making the spend on the polishing compound worthwhile.

Dennis
09-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Alternatively if you have a polisher you could either chuck it in there to re-polish or save it for a rainy day when #-o you're 'mistakes' stash has grown (slowly we hope) to the point of making the spend on the polishing compound worthwhile.

To buy some Polygold felt wheels won't break the bank-between £10 and £15 in all from memory and you will have a standby for when you occasionally mark a stone.

Throwing it in the polisher, if you mean a tumbler, can deplete the surface of some stones beyond repair. Dennis.

Wallace
09-02-2015, 11:14 AM
If you are buying some poli gold, also invest in some diamond paste. Works a treat on the stones too

theresa
28-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Where's the best place to buy diamond paste Wallace?
Have just searched on Cookies and they don't do it.

mizgeorge
28-02-2015, 03:19 PM
I get mine from ebay Theresa. Very cheap and usually freepost from China - comes in packs of assorted grades - it's worth getting one that includes some of the coarser ones as there's not much between the very fine ones.

Tabby66
28-02-2015, 09:29 PM
I got mine here Theresa...http://www.suttontools.co.uk/diamond-polishing-paste-10gm.html.....fab stuff....lasts forever ;)

theresa
01-03-2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks - I saw someone from Poland selling 3g asstd tubes on Ebay.

Patstone
01-03-2015, 04:05 PM
I have a 1cm square faceted Labradorite and its previous life was in a ring so its a bit scratched, wondered if I should use the diamond polishing paste on that. How do you know what "thickness" to use.

Dennis
01-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Start with the fine and go up to coarser, grade by grade until you see it is working. Then re-trace your steps to get a shine.

Because it is faceted, the scratch will be mainly on the top surface, the table.

So to keep the shape, I would smear the paste on paper on a flat surface and rub the stone on that. Dennis.

Patstone
01-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Thanks Dennis I will order some and give it a try. Its a beautiful stone and a shame to not use it.