PDA

View Full Version : Durston mini mill Wanted

Stretch
04-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Anybody thinking of selling their mini mill ? please let me know.

mizgeorge
04-02-2015, 06:27 PM
noticed a new listing on ebay earlier today:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/durston-manual-mini-rolling-mill-80mm-jewellery-metal-tool-/171666147075?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:GB:3160

Stretch
04-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Hey thanks George, yeah hehe, saw this yesterday but the rollers look a bit iffy to me and i don't know how easy they'd be to clean up. I tend to think if it was easily done then the seller would have done it prior to selling to get a better price.
Thanks for the shout though George, it's much appreciated.

art925
05-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Hey thanks George, yeah hehe, saw this yesterday but the rollers look a bit iffy to me and i don't know how easy they'd be to clean up. I tend to think if it was easily done then the seller would have done it prior to selling to get a better price.
Thanks for the shout though George, it's much appreciated.
It might be worth a punt and getting the rollers refurbed by Durston.

Stretch
05-02-2015, 03:55 PM
I'm not gonna bother. It looks waaay to unhappy in all it's pictures for my liking-theres no sign of a smile . Am looking for one that's been shown more love by a caring owner and is full of good vibes. :)

Aurarius
05-02-2015, 11:05 PM
It might be worth a punt and getting the rollers refurbed by Durston.

Have you or has anyone you know had anything refurbished by Durston recently? I've heard several woeful (and few good) tales of Durston's direct dealings with customers over the last couple of years.

CJ57
05-02-2015, 11:21 PM
Have you or has anyone you know had anything refurbished by Durston recently? I've heard several woeful (and few good) tales of Durston's direct dealings with customers over the last couple of years.

Don't start me on them as my experience hasn't been great but I do wonder if it's a different story when it's a problem with their main product. When I was needing advice about buying a rolling mill, Matthew Durston phoned me back from a trade fair in Germany when he recieved my message. That de impress me and he was very helpful. Their new products seem to be much more problematic for them, maybe they just have too many strings to their bow now

Aurarius
06-02-2015, 01:45 AM
Don't start me on them as my experience hasn't been great but I do wonder if it's a different story when it's a problem with their main product. When I was needing advice about buying a rolling mill, Matthew Durston phoned me back from a trade fair in Germany when he recieved my message. That de impress me and he was very helpful. Their new products seem to be much more problematic for them, maybe they just have too many strings to their bow now

You might be right. I've raised the question before whether Durston actually make all of their products themselves now (i.e. in their own factory in the UK) and I've not been able to find out the answer. Inferior customer service in relation to non-rolling mill products may be explained by the fact that they're licensing a factory to make these products overseas and they can't really deal with warranty issues without either sending items back to the foreign factory that made them in the first place or just giving the customer a replacement item, and Durston are a little reluctant to do either. This is just conjecture though, but it's conjecture by way of an attempt to explain a steady stream of negative reports about customer service - on certain items at least.

Dennis
06-02-2015, 03:56 AM
Conjecture can be way off target, but my experience with some family businesses, has been that the second generation are pressured to take them over and would much rather be doing something else. Dennis.

art925
06-02-2015, 06:36 AM
I had a ring stretcher that was completely misaligned, I did have communication issues to start with. Following a few choice words on their Facebook page I received immediate attention. I added to my facebook comments when the issue was resolved. I now love my ring stretcher no problems.
Les.

CJ57
06-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Conjecture can be way off target, but my experience with some family businesses, has been that the second generation are pressured to take them over and would much rather be doing something else. Dennis.

That is something that crossed my mind too Dennis.
The attention to detail seems to be lacking, they can't even provide dimensions on some of the new products they sell. After many months of emails asking for the dimensions of the 14 pieces on their planishing set in the end I just had to buy it on spec with them still promising to produce a leaflet online. I haven't checked recently but 6 months later there was nothing. Fb didn't work for me as I was just told to email them. It's all very frustrating when you want to spend quite a lot of money on a good piece of kit and there seems to be no realisation that time might be a factor.

BRJ
13-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Hello Stretch,

I am going to be selling my Durston 80 mini mill very soon, having just taken receipt of a larger one, as wanted an upgrade. Machine is less about 2 years old, and I have just replaced the cogs (which I got direct from Durston (dont ask me about their customer service!!), there is a small chip on the central shaft, but it works perfectly well, I have been using it until today when I have installed my new one. Let me know if you are interested.

BRJ