PDA

View Full Version : Irregularly shaped ring sizing

LydiaNiz
27-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Heeeelp! I like my rings round usually (boring, I know), but I'm making a little collection of pieces, and I want the rings in it to be a flat across the back of the finger, and the ring formed as a U to meet either side at the top. So a U with a flat across the top. How do I size them correctly, as obviously flesh is squishier than a triblet.
I feel daft asking this (what's new?!)

Dennis
27-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Hi Lydia,

It will be interesting to read other people's solutions, but mine is to play the memory game.

I take the ring size as usual, and as my knuckles and yours too I guess, are all different sizes I select a knuckle the will just go through the sizer.

Then I make a note of which one I am using and how tight it feels.

To make the U shaped shank I put my finger upside down on a flat surface and try the U shape on the relevant knuckle. When it has been adjusted to fit, I solder only one side to the mount to give me a second chance to try it, before soldering the other leg of the U.

Of course your own fingers change too, so this has to be done within a short time of committing the size to memory as noted in bold above. Dennis.

Sammyjean
28-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Hi!
I am glad you asked this! I have been making some rings with a rivet across the top with beads on (which spin around) and they fit bigger than a round ring ..but I have been guestimating that they fit around 4 sizes bigger in that shape.. by comparing on my own fingers with them and normal round rings. Should get more technical perhaps..

Edhelien
02-02-2015, 04:38 PM
I do it in similar way as Dennis, playing with ring sizers and my own fingers.
And I keep notes about how much metal (what length) I used. Most of rings I do as prototypes at first and then I can use that notes to make any size needed.

LydiaNiz
02-02-2015, 08:29 PM
thanks all, will do the first test one tomorrow, but suspect it is going to take a good few to get a rough idea!