PDA

View Full Version : Too many forums

Somersetmaker
02-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Does anyone else find the vast number of forums on here dilutes the community, makes it difficult to remember where you put things and is generally confusing?

It makes me feel like going away again each time I come here . . a shame.

mizgeorge
02-09-2009, 08:01 AM
I'd never actually noticed that there were a lot of categories. I always use the 'new posts' option on the top menu bar, and rarely have any idea which subforum anything's been posted in!

The search facility is very useful as well :)

Please don't be put off by the size, it's such a lovely friendly place!

AlexandraBuckle
02-09-2009, 08:25 AM
I'd never actually noticed that there were a lot of categories. I always use the 'new posts' option on the top menu bar, and rarely have any idea which subforum anything's been posted in!

Yeah thats what I do too, is much easier to keep track of everything.
It does mean that I often tend to stray off topic :">

Di Sandland
02-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Same here - new posts for when I want to read everything that's been posted and home when I want to start a new thread.

I haven't the faintest idea, when I'm reading, what categories everything is in. Its a bit like a conversation and we don't categorise those do we?

Solunar Silver Studio
02-09-2009, 11:48 AM
I am also a 'new post' person - unless I'm adding another thread!!
I bet Emma returning to the forum and stiring up all the old threads she has missed is driving you mad, somersetmaker!!

I think we need to have all these different subjects though as we are a forum for a huge array of different interests and skills - all loosely covered by the 'jewellery' umbrella...there has to be some way for the polymer clay user to filter out the diamond setting posts if they don't want to learn anything about it! (as an example). But as for me...and I think a lot of the other folk on this forum...we want to learn everything about everything and don't care what order it comes in - or how much waffle it is packaged with!! There is a good healthy bit of humour lacing this forum together and I think it is that which makes it attractive to so many people....long may it continue!!:Y:

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 12:30 PM
oops :( lol I hadn't even thought of using new posts (d'oh). Just trying to remember to subscribe to threads I'm interested in. -THINKS- would like automatic subscription to any thread I post in option!
Em

Lindyloo
02-09-2009, 09:38 PM
I also loose my place in the forum from day to day, but that doesn't put me off. It just means I sometimes forget for a couple of days to check where I've posted questions, then just as I get in bed, I have a doh moment. #-o

Petal
02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Yes, I'm also a New Posts girl, too. Much easier than trawling, unless I want to start a new thread. As a forum virgin myself, please persevere as you learn so much and get so inspired to try lots of new things - so please give it a go Somersetmaker!

Its late and I'm very tired, so I've probably cocked up here, but if you click on your profile and then go down to subscriptions, can't you click on that to subscribe and does it link you to all the threads you have posted in?

Have I got that right then??

Oh I must got to bed now

speak soon
Luve
Jules x

lesley
02-09-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm new here and have quickly got into the habit of checking New Posts.
I keep meaning to subscribe to threads and forgetting.

One thing I love from a couple of other forums is being able to check new posts in threads you've already posted in. I still think this system is fine......you just have to get used to it.:)

Somersetmaker
03-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Yes, I'm also a New Posts girl, too. Much easier than trawling, unless I want to start a new thread. As a forum virgin myself, please persevere as you learn so much and get so inspired to try lots of new things - so please give it a go Somersetmaker!
(ed)
Jules x

The thing is I am a regular user of other fora and I know I don't want to read it all - nor do I have the time! I've been a maker for about 25 years and lots of the posts aren't of great interest.

The thing is it seems to me that this will be the case for othger experienced makers and whilst we may be very happy to share our experience with others if you work in this area professionally you don't have vast amounts of time.

I have to say that if I had a problem and wanted opinions of experts in the field I'd go to Ganoksin, which is a shame as I pay Cooksons so much money each year!!

Solunar Silver Studio
03-09-2009, 07:03 AM
The thing is I am a regular user of other fora and I know I don't want to read it all - nor do I have the time! I've been a maker for about 25 years and lots of the posts aren't of great interest.

The thing is it seems to me that this will be the case for othger experienced makers and whilst we may be very happy to share our experience with others if you work in this area professionally you don't have vast amounts of time.

I have to say that if I had a problem and wanted opinions of experts in the field I'd go to Ganoksin, which is a shame as I pay Cooksons so much money each year!!

I think we would all appreciate the input of someone with 25 years of experience in the trade on the forum....the vast majority of us are so new at this game and are desperate for any snippets of information to improve our abilities.

From the perspetive of a 'newbie' - it is fantastic to be able to put a question on the forum and almost instantly have it answered - or debated - without being looked down upon because of the simplistic nature of the question I have put. I have Ganoskins Orchid Digest appear daily in my inbox and generally can't understand any of it....in fact, I often just delete it because I can't afford the time to try and see if there is anything I can glean from it.

There are a lot of members on here now - and a huge number of guests who dip in and read without having registered - so there are a lot of people who are gaining something from the forum.

I'm sure we would all love to have, and would benefit from, your input on some of the threads that you are interested in and share some of your knowlwedge with us....

AlexandraBuckle
03-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Agreed Solunar, also, i know there is a lot of chatter on this forum (personally I really like the chatter) but I know when i come unstuck and need some help, I can post a question here and I'll get an answer pretty quickly.

Can't say as I've ever really used Ganoskin, and I don't feel that I need to either now that I've found this forum and it's helpful experienced members.

You should give us a chance Somerset :) And we'd love someone with your experience on board and we won't be offended if you don't join in with our chatter :)

Petal
03-09-2009, 08:57 AM
What I like about this forum is that people just give you their, unbiased, opinions. I have rung my suppliers with queries, over the years and they will give you a certain amount of info, but IMO, they can be biased, as obviously they want you to buy more of their stuff. On this forum, and this is the only forum I have ever posted on, you pose a question (and I have posed some silly ones) and you get lots of replies from people who have used the tools, wire, etc and give you their experience of it and the pitfalls. As a total newbie to proper jewellery making, I find this forum invaluable and have learnt tons and definitely want to learn an awful lot more and it would be lovely if you could join us. Go on, give us a go..... you'll love it and if you are only interested in certain subjects, or they are not covered, then why not start some new threads!

[]
Love
Jules

ps_bond
03-09-2009, 09:09 AM
At the moment, this forum is quite young and doesn't have the membership that Ganoksin has (which has been around for years). It remains to be seen if the likes of James Binnion, Peter Rowe and similar would contribute here - although the UK-centric nature of this perhaps makes it less likely for them.

The very nature of these things is that they are only as good as the people contributing to them. As I've said before, my thing is more a mix of traditional techniques (and traditional materials) although "traditional" is, for me, a mix of European and Japanese; beading doesn't do anything for me and as such I can't contribute much to that area.

There's a couple of "industry" jewellers who are contributing more signal than noise; my ever-so-humble opinion is that we could do with more like that who are prepared to communicate.

Hmm, maybe I should give James Miller a shout - he's, er, an extremely experienced goldsmith who seems quite happy to dispense knowledge.

EmmaRose
03-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Yes and we very much value =D> those who spend their time helping and loaning their expertise. I gave up on ganoskin, can't be bothered to wade through the ads. DO hope you will stay
Em
And a big :ta: and :X to those who lend their experience like Peter!

Solunar Silver Studio
03-09-2009, 10:18 AM
...experienced Peter.... you call this guy experienced!! Talk about a humbling experience!! For any of you that think you might just be getting an idea about how to do this jewellery stuff...sit down and take a gander at this guy's work... I've only put an address because I just couldn't decide what image to link you to....you really need to see it all!!

http://www.ganoksin.com/exhibition/v/orchid/JamesMiller/

...and Peter...I think we could elbow a little bit of room in here for him!!! How wonderful to have so much talent at your fingertips!!! Sigh!

ps_bond
03-09-2009, 10:21 AM
...experienced Peter.... you call this guy experienced!!

OK, that's a prime example of the mastery of understatement :)
I have his book...

EmmaRose
03-09-2009, 10:25 AM
...experienced Peter.... you call this guy experienced!! Talk about a humbling experience!! For any of you that think you might just be getting an idea about how to do this jewellery stuff...sit down and take a gander at this guy's work... I've only put an address because I just couldn't decide what image to link you to....you really need to see it all!!

http://www.ganoksin.com/exhibition/v/orchid/JamesMiller/

...and Peter...I think we could elbow a little bit of room in here for him!!! How wonderful to have so much talent at your fingertips!!! Sigh!

*THUD* falls over at pictures and is fanning herself. Oh my :worthy:
Em