PDA

View Full Version : The Oxy-Con System

philongold
20-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Firstly MANY many thanks to ps_bond for his help in getting me sorted out with a good 'micro-torch'.

I went to Cooksons and bought a Smith Little Torch.

I also contacted Martin at Tuffnell Glass who sell the Oxy-Con system - follow this link to their site - http://www.tuffnellglass.com/

For those of you who don't know about the Oxy-Con system (which I didn't until ps_bond told me about it) - it is a system that stands about 70 cm high x 37 cm wide x 32 cm deep. It somehow 'Divides' the molecules in the air and pumps the Oxygen down a hose to your torch -'Simples'.

It is VERY safe - no need for a Flashback Arrestor for the Oxy side, but it is recommended for the gas side - in my case Propane. Martin also supplied me with the flashback arrester and a Y coupling to go on the top of my propane bottle. Both sides of the Y have adjuster knobs on them. In my case one side goes to my Sievert Torch and the other to the Little Torch. This enables you to turn off or partly regulate the gas flow to either torch.

In my opinion, it is a FANTASTIC system. No need to register with BOC or mess about with oxy bottles, no chance of running out at a time when you can't get a refill for your oxy bottle, and it's a lot safer than having an oxygen bottle full of highly inflammable gas in your workshop.

As many of you will know, I am British but I live in Central Brittany, France. I have been here over 10 years. I used to be a professional jewellery maker and designer and ran my own very successful design studio for many years. I retired some years ago due to ill health but have decided to come back in to the trade as I believe I have lots of great designs still in me. This system was a complete revelation. As you will imagine, being in France for so many years, I am completely out of the loop as far as the jewellery trade and new equipment available is concerned.

I received the Oxy-con system from Martin at Tuffnell Glass by Parcel Post. It came in a huge box, wrapped in many layers of bubble wrap along with the other bits and pieces I had ordered. I was able to take the Oxy-con out of the box, put it together and use it straightaway. It worked perfectly right from the word go.

So in closing many thanks once again to all concerned, especially Mr Bond.

Phil (philongold@gmail.com)

Dennis
20-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Well it's a feather in your cap for following all the instructions and getting started, and also praise for Tuffnell glass who sent it all that way successfully. Please keep in touch and show us what you are making.

Dennis.

philongold
20-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Hi Dennis,

I have my own YouTube Channel at:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoWPihPBDCDATH8HVPSXOVw and tomorrow I am making a video all about the Oxy-Con. I spoke to Martin at Tuffnell Glass this morning and he is very happy for me to do something. Hopefully by the weekend I should have it published, so keep your eyes open for it.

If you go to my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/phil.stevens.9659 - you can see some of my work.

Cheers
Phil (philongold)

enigma
20-01-2015, 01:38 PM
Thanks so much for sharing that Phil.
Im also in France and was wondering how you will go about having it serviced?

Thanks

philongold
20-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Hi ? sorry I don't know your name.

As far as I can tell, it will never need to be serviced or at least not for 10 years or more. I presume it depends on how much you use it but, speaking to Martin the director of Tuffnell Glass yesterday, he was very confident that, under normal circumstances, one wouldn't need to think about a service for years and years.

I hope this helps.

P.S. where are you in France and what sort of jewellery do you make. If you wish you could send me an email privately to philongold@gmail.com

enigma
20-01-2015, 05:13 PM
Oh thats good, thanks Phil.

Im in the Creuse area, central France.

Im still undecided on this one as mostly I manage fine with the Sievert and its a lot of extra money.
Thanks
Sarah