PDA

View Full Version : The next step...?

kaz
09-07-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm thinking about buying a rolling mill and workbench and taking it a bit more seriously. Been selling some pieces for firends and family and making a nice little side income as well as having a good time and achieving a rather healthy level of self confidence as a result of my relative success.

Thinking about stepping it up a level. I have all the basics. Is it worth me investing in this kind of equipment at this early stage of my 'jewellery making career' lol ???

Any advice would be lovely???

agent_44
09-07-2009, 11:45 AM
I guess it depend on what techniques you want to be able to use - I bought a rolling mill earlier this year and have used it just once I am ashamed to say! I finish my full time job next week and it's my plan to master the rolling mill as I got in a right muddle with it last time!

Amethystjewellery
09-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I spent a lot of money on a rolling mill too....and it is just sitting on the end of my bench gathering dust! :(

MuranoSilver
09-07-2009, 11:35 PM
When you say "have all the basics" what do you consider the basics.
These are some of the things I use most (excluding tools like files,hammers,saws etc)
A proper height workbench (eases back ache and brings things to better visual height)
A bench peg (attached to bench, as above)
Decent Torch for soldering & three solders
A Flex-shaft with polishings attachments, burrs etc
A rotary or Magnetic Tumbler
Mandrels for ring forming
Bangle Mandrel

Yes I have a rolling mill but don't use it hugely as I'm also a Metal Clay artist and that's a much quicker way of introducing texture....
(which is why another vital tool for me is my kiln)

Nicola x

Sheltie
10-07-2009, 09:28 PM
When you say "have all the basics" what do you consider the basics.
These are some of the things I use most (excluding tools like files,hammers,saws etc)
A proper height workbench (eases back ache and brings things to better visual height)
A bench peg (attached to bench, as above)
Decent Torch for soldering & three solders
A Flex-shaft with polishings attachments, burrs etc
A rotary or Magnetic Tumbler
Mandrels for ring forming
Bangle Mandrel

Yes I have a rolling mill but don't use it hugely as I'm also a Metal Clay artist and that's a much quicker way of introducing texture....
(which is why another vital tool for me is my kiln)

Nicola x

These are the tools that I use myself with exception of the flex-shaft I would love a rolling mill but cannot justify it at present. I also like to make things the same way they were about 1200 years ago. So the more basic the tools the better.

Charlotte
15-07-2009, 09:55 PM
I used a rolling mill at uni all the time, and when I started my own business from home I had to make do without one. I personally found while I didn't have the money I could make do with hammers or I just bought the right size metal when needed, I have also adjusted my designs to suit this.

Make a note to yourself when you would use one while you're working, if it seems like its popping up all the time it might be worth it. I've seen some cheap ones on ebay, but I wouldn't know if the quality matches the price!

Ominicci
16-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Ooooh soooooooo want a rolling mill!!!! But seriously don't have ANYWHERE to put it. Have most of basics including those Nicola mentions.

nikki_d72
25-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Hiya,

if you're going to buy a rolling mill, for god's sake don't buy a cheapy Indian made one (which is mostly what you'll find on Ebay), you'll be throwing good money away. The metal is soft and they don't line up properly. Also if you're a chick, don't buy one with no gearing mechanism, as you'll end up having to get up on a chair and try to kick the handle round!! (yes, this is from experience... I managed to move the bench it was attached to from one end of the workshop to the other, but not the handle - much swearing ensued and then had to ask my male colleague to do it for me, much to my mortification!) Save, save save and buy a decent one, if you think you need one at all. I used it all the time but was doing repairs, so had to make odd-sized pieces for wedding rings etc, and used the wire part more than anything else, but I guess you could use a swage block to make half round thick wire etc. Never used it for texturing since I left college but probably would if I had my own workshop now, hopefully will soon, I've fallen off the jewellery wagon for a while now and miss it like stink - just the evil money holding me back at mo.

AlexandraBuckle
25-08-2009, 02:47 PM
I bought my rolling mill from America a few years back when the exchange rate was good :) Saved lots of money!

EmmaRose
25-08-2009, 05:02 PM
get the bench, hold back on the rolling mill until you are sure (if you have to ask etc). look out for them second hand!
Em

mizgeorge
25-08-2009, 05:16 PM
That's weird. I know I posted a reply and it's vanished :(
Anyway. what I'd said was that I have a cheap rolling mill, though it is geared (4:1i), and it works just fine for me. I don't use it enough to justify a more expensive one yet (lovely though it would be), and it certainly does everything I want it to at the moment.

I certainly wouldn't put it on the list of essential tools, though. A bench (or at the very least worksurface the right height and a pin) would definitely come first.

Lindyloo
25-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Out of interest, which mills did you buy, Alexandra and George?

CyberPaddy66
25-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I really want a rolling mill and draw plates as I've been watching skilman over at Genoskin and it'd certainly make my ideas come to life easier but I'm a long way from needing one yet.

A propper workbench is my next big thing to work on.

Di Sandland
25-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I

A propper workbench is my next big thing to work on.

I'm still buildng up the courage to ask my OH to cut a semi-circle out of the desk he made for me last year. =:-O

caroleallen
25-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I've got a Durston mini-mill and I use it virtually every day for adding texture. I'd really miss it. My new guillotine has a rolling mill but I haven't tried it out yet. It's 750mm wide so if it works I could do some serious rolling with that!

Di Sandland
25-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I've got a Durston mini-mill and I use it virtually every day for adding texture. I'd really miss it. My new guillotine has a rolling mill but I haven't tried it out yet. It's 750mm wide so if it works I could do some serious rolling with that!

So you managed to get it indoors and set up then?