PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Mills

BRJ
14-01-2015, 06:30 PM
I have decided that the time has come to upgrade my mill.

I have been using a Durston Mini but its just not up to some of the jobs I need to do. I need a bigger one with gears. I am not sure if the Durston is the way to go, or if I should be looking at others. Would like to know if anyone has experience with the larger mills and which they would recommend.

Thank you!

Dennis
14-01-2015, 09:05 PM
I know Durston don't always provide a good after sales service, but I can't see what could go wrong with a mill. Maybe I am being naive.

I have had a small Durston mill for eighteen years or so, and it is still as new. At the time it was the smallest model with gears and has an 80mm flat section.

So if I were upgrading, I would certainly go for a Durston again, but with a wider rollers for sheet and possibly more grooves for square wire. Dennis.

Goldsmith
14-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Like Dennis my Durston D2 mills have served me well for a lot of years now.

James

BRJ
15-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Thank you for your replies.

I have experienced Durston's after sales myself recently, when my less than two year old durston broke a cog. I was trying to roll a large piece of 9ct, and I admit I was in a bit of a hurry, it was a rush job before christmas, and cog broke, and chipped the shaft. Durstons were helpful on the phone but it was very difficult to get them to rush me the replacement parts, I must have phoned them more than 10 times and emailed the same. But I got what I needed and the mill is working, but I am afraid that I am going to break another cog if I keep going with this piece I am working on. Hence the decision to get a bigger one (despite the expense). I do put the mill through a lot, and I use it all the time, think I will go for the D4. A lot of my work comes from remaking old pieces and as a result I need it. I just dont want to have to replace it again in two years!
Thanks again,
Brendan

Dennis
15-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Brendan, you have probably gathered by now, that you were closing the rollers too much for each pass and therefore needing too much force to turn them.

Getting a mill with gears could cause matters to take a turn for the worse so to speak, because you will be able to exert even more force.

The residual compression of the springs allows you to make a useful second pass before giving the screw another quarter turn or less.

It's 'gently does it' and 'less haste more speed'-not 'shoulders to the wheel'. Dennis.