PDA

View Full Version : Gentle burnishing

metalsmith
12-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I've created a couple of bangles in sterling silver which have been braided 0.4mm round wire. These have been heated and pickled a few times, possibly not so as to fully qualify as depletion gilded (tho that's obviously the process) I was worried that if I did this too much then the thin wire would become brittle.

I'm looking to maximise the white colouring of the fine silver, but have a dilemma on how to finish them to best effect. I've read somewhere that 'gentle burnishing' could be used - or 'hot burnishing'. Can anyone shed any light? My jewellery vocab extends to steel and agate burnishing - does brass also burnish or is there a risk of contaminating the silver. Basically any advice on burnishing would help to fill what seems to be a bigger void, the more I stare at it.:confused:

thanks

CJ57
12-01-2015, 08:32 PM
I use this for hand burnishing http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Burnisher-4---Straight-prcode-999-AJI it will bring up the highlights and harden it a little

Dennis
12-01-2015, 10:54 PM
Well we all have or pet method, but if it's braided wire, a wet and soapy jewellers brass brush is a simple remedy and will not transfer brass to it. Please note all that heating and pickling will tend to soften the wire, and the only work hardening then available without damage, is by repeatedly bending it.

If you want a really high finish, a tumbler with mixed shot and Burnishing Soap 'B' run for 2-3 hours will give you a blinding burnish. Sadly contrary to popular myth, tumbling will not contribute appreciably to hardness. Dennis.

metalsmith
13-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Well we all have or pet method, but if it's braided wire, a wet and soapy jewellers brass brush is a simple remedy and will not transfer brass to it. Please note all that heating and pickling will tend to soften the wire, and the only work hardening then available without damage, is by repeatedly bending it.

If you want a really high finish, a tumbler with mixed shot and Burnishing Soap 'B' run for 2-3 hours will give you a blinding burnish. Sadly contrary to popular myth, tumbling will not contribute appreciably to hardness. Dennis.

That's a great help - many thanks - should I separate the pins out of the shot, too?

Dennis
13-01-2015, 10:44 PM
That's a great help - many thanks - should I separate the pins out of the shot, too?

No, with braided wire the pins are needed to get into all those crevices and pin marks won't notice. Just search after tumbling in case some shot is wedged in it.
Because of the high shine, I sometimes don't notice it until I study a photo. Dennis.

metalsmith
14-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Dennis, I am grateful for the reply. I was torn between wanting them to penetrate and not wanting any marks remaining.

thanks

Chas