PDA

View Full Version : Spoons

Nick martin
11-01-2015, 10:55 PM
Hi all,

Picked up a small silver spoon stake the other day whilst buying some tools I was after.

Was very cheap and got me wondering about making a spoon for both the experience and fun, and as a gift for a family member.

Can anyone recommend a good book or website on how to handmade a spoon? Would like to achieve it by hand rather than using hydraulic presses as I don't have access to any.

Thanks,

Nick

CJ57
11-01-2015, 11:57 PM
I pm'd you

SteveLAO
12-01-2015, 09:19 AM
I did a one day spoon making course with Steve Wager in Hatton Garden, where we hand raised a spoon from a lump of silver. I see you're in the north east so probably not practical for you to come down here, but maybe have a look at the Institute of professional goldsmiths, as he is part of them and does courses in spoon making. http://www.sewltd-gold-silversmith.com/steve-wager.htm is his website if you want to contact him direct?

Dennis
12-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Having made a spoon, or a small set of coffee spoons you might well drop the whole thing, so lengthy courses might not be needed.

As you see from the picture in Steve's link, all you need to start is a ball-pein hammer, or an oval spoon stake, held in a vice and then a further planishing hammer.
I have seen people also start with a domed disk and add a straight or wiggly handle of wire, ending in a small charm of their choice, be it a ball, or a creation in PMC.

When I did a spoon making project it was using a spoon stake, a hammer, and hefty square wire. Dennis.

Nick martin
12-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Thanks all, I'll check out the link and your PM now Caroline.

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk