PDA

View Full Version : Grs8 engraver wanted

johnmoto
07-01-2015, 06:25 PM
If any one has a Grs Engraver for sale please let me no

ps_bond
07-01-2015, 06:55 PM
What would that be for John - diamond setting?

johnmoto
07-01-2015, 11:48 PM
Yes for setting

Gemsetterchris
08-01-2015, 06:39 AM
Hi John *as seen on tv*:)
You might try the engraving forums, though most are US based.

Hope you join in the forum with your knowledge.

johnmoto
09-01-2015, 01:10 AM
Thanks Chris I will do, not sure. If it would benefit me been doing old scool for a long time but I will get one and give it a go
But I thing it will speed up cutting out channels and save my hand from wereing uot.
And yes only to pleased to help out 35 years experience as well as teaching.
We should all get together and set out a standard setting price across the globe
http://www.diamondsetting4u.com

johnmoto
09-01-2015, 01:15 AM
Yes for setting

Why do you have one Peter

ps_bond
09-01-2015, 06:29 AM
No, I prefer the Airgraver.

Gemsetterchris
09-01-2015, 06:31 AM
We should all get together and set out a standard setting price across the globe
http://www.diamondsetting4u.com

Someone in China did that without consulting the rest of us.

Get up to the Garden & find a tool shop where you can test drive one...it`ll help speed up some of the heavier cutting, but you`ll be wanting a compressor & sharpening system for the tool blanks.

The other two manufacturers of air power systems are lyndsay & enset which are both great & do a similar job, but you won`t likely find cheap 2nd hand.

Then you`ll want a microscope...ect ect.....:D

Gemsetterchris
09-01-2015, 08:37 AM
If you don`t fancy spending a fortune, get a benchmate system & remain old school.
This will take alot of pressure off your clamp holding hand & you`ll find it helps alot...this is because it holds the work alot tighter than you can by hand & you don`t lose that energy generated..so you`ll find cutting alot easier.

johnmoto
12-01-2015, 01:59 AM
Someone in China did that without consulting the rest of us.

Get up to the Garden & find a tool shop where you can test drive one...it`ll help speed up some of the heavier cutting, but you`ll be wanting a compressor & sharpening system for the tool blanks.

The other two manufacturers of air power systems are lyndsay & enset which are both great & do a similar job, but you won`t likely find cheap 2nd hand.

Then you`ll want a microscope...ect ect.....:D

I am going to Stubbs in the garden next week to try out there's, as I have done work for them time to time they wanted
Me to work at there premises or be very close to them in the garden but I am not going back up there for 25 years had enough up there , they will not give out work unless your very close to them as you have no doubt found that out,
I was speaking to George from Stubbs tonight about you he said he nows you and both agreed you should put some
Pictures of your work on your website so people can see what you can do .

johnmoto
12-01-2015, 02:20 AM
If you don`t fancy spending a fortune, get a benchmate system & remain old school.
This will take alot of pressure off your clamp holding hand & you`ll find it helps alot...this is because it holds the work alot tighter than you can by hand & you don`t lose that energy generated..so you`ll find cutting alot easier.

I have got one find it easier and quicker with just ring clamps never get any hand strain ,if your pushing that hard you're getting hand strain your doing it wrong ther is no need to push on any job that hard you will end up braking a lot of stones
And damaging the job especially if you slipp you will plow straight across it , the amount of setters I have taught first
Started of with scorpers like chiseled ends but when I taught the have very fine thin tips and very sharp with a technique
I developed they could not believe the difference how much less effort was envoled and they stopped braking stones
I saved on company over £20,000 a year were there setters were braking stones left Wright and center
You must be doing it wron

Wallace
12-01-2015, 02:26 AM
I have got one find it easier and quicker with just ring clamps never get any hand strain ,if your pushing that hard you're getting hand strain your doing it wrong ther is no need to push on any job that hard you will end up braking a lot of stones
And damaging the job especially if you slipp you will plow straight across it , the amount of setters I have taught first
Started of with scorpers like chiseled ends but when I taught the have very fine thin tips and very sharp with a technique
I developed they could not believe the difference how much less effort was envoled and they stopped braking stones
I saved on company over £20,000 a year were there setters were braking stones left Wright and center
You must be doing it wron

I am hoping this is not going to turn into a setting contest, I appreciate your wealth of knowledge on the subject. This can be said for many members, sharing would be lovely and being kind to each other is always nice to read

Gemsetterchris
12-01-2015, 06:47 AM
My website has been neglected for a while & needs some pictures I agree, for the time being I have a gallery of things I can`t do...:-p

Lots of workers have given up the commute, I could name half a dozen decent setters working from home these days.
Unfortunately i`m not in the best location logistically, however thankfully some can oversee that & prefer the extra couple of days postage for the result.

Say hello to George for me.:~:

johnmoto
13-01-2015, 12:00 AM
My website has been neglected for a while & needs some pictures I agree, for the time being I have a gallery of things I can`t do...:-p

Lots of workers have given up the commute, I could name half a dozen decent setters working from home these days.
Unfortunately i`m not in the best location logistically, however thankfully some can oversee that & prefer the extra couple of days postage for the result.

Say hello to George for me.:~:

My stay away from the garden was not at first by choice , I had a near fatal motorcycle accident and took 5 years of opporations to keep my leg so I could not do the commute and when I got better did not see the point of going back
As all my customers are up and down the country and was posting to them anyway, but did mis everyone and working
From home was lonely that's when I started teaching to get out and meet people was driving me crazy being at home
All the time and found myself working 24/7 so a year ago got a workshop with two friends and it's been great.
And your right Chris many people I no are leaving and already left the garden rent to expensive and the work is not there anymore, jewellery shops being replaced with coffe shops and restaurants a bit like clerkenwell years ago the jewellery
Trade was there and then moved to hatton garden when the rents were to high as my father told me he was a mounter
And started there as a young lad.
Sure I will tell George you said hi

Gemsetterchris
17-01-2015, 02:10 PM
I was speaking to George from Stubbs tonight about you he said he nows you and both agreed you should put some
Pictures of your work on your website so people can see what you can do .

I have just found my old instagram gallery, so that`s back up & running with a handful of new things to add soon....shame digital cameras were not available 20 years ago.
I guess some pictures are better than nothing :Y:

enigma
17-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Looks great Chris! lovely to see some of your fantastic work.

Gemsetterchris
17-01-2015, 02:31 PM
Looks great Chris! lovely to see some of your fantastic work.

That's the boring bread & butter stuff & tools unfortunately, shame I never had the hindsight to record stuff before technology became easy..I've a few interesting old photos but they don't translate digitally well enough..but nevermind!

enigma
17-01-2015, 04:16 PM
Well then you will just have to make more and get photos of them ;)
Looks good though, and definitely much better having some work on show.

Trish
20-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Hi John , I don't have an engraver , but I have a GRS Benchmate system for sale in classifieds if you are interested .

johnmoto
21-01-2015, 01:30 AM
Hi John , I don't have an engraver , but I have a GRS Benchmate system for sale in classifieds if you are interested .

Thanks I will take a look

Trish
22-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Hi I've taken a picture but not sure how to get it on this forum http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/22/75fb9c14f963791339495a15907e5b29.jpg
Hope this helps my email is pfowbert@icloud..com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk