PDA

View Full Version : Accessories to engrave

max_mischief
02-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Hi there. I'm looking for something that I've got no idea what they are called/if they exist.

Basically, I've got some bracelets that are dainty/small and i was thinking of making them a little more unique, perhaps with some kind of engraved wording/logo when I come up with wording/logo.

Does anyone know what those accessories are called that you can engrave on, and does anyone have any comments if this will look A) Crap B) a small person trying to pretend to be a big shop that will fail C) potentially a good idea if I can make it dainty enough?

Thanks for the help

CJ57
02-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Hi Max

It might be helpful to post a photo of said bracelets so that we can see what is possible :) there are several ways of doing it but it depends on how big the area is, whether they are solid or hollow and any other variation

max_mischief
02-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Hi Max

It might be helpful to post a photo of said bracelets so that we can see what is possible :) there are several ways of doing it but it depends on how big the area is, whether they are solid or hollow and any other variation

Typical, I don't actually have any made up, my last 2 were given as presents.

The only way I can describe it as, a silver dainty bracelet with a few 6mm-8mm beads on it, does that help at all?

CJ57
02-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Typical, I don't actually have any made up, my last 2 were given as presents.

The only way I can describe it as, a silver dainty bracelet with a few 6mm-8mm beads on it, does that help at all?

:) not a lot. Some people use a Dremel type engraver, some like James would use hand engravers, you can buy letter stamps, or have them laser engraved. It really depends on the area of silver you have to work on, it's difficult to imagine what it's like from your description.Are you making it up from sheet or chain, are they cast pieces, what kind of metal?
I'm sure someone else will chip in once the celebrations are over

max_mischief
02-01-2015, 10:40 PM
:) not a lot. Some people use a Dremel type engraver, some like James would use hand engravers, you can buy letter stamps, or have them laser engraved. It really depends on the area of silver you have to work on, it's difficult to imagine what it's like from your description.Are you making it up from sheet or chain, are they cast pieces, what kind of metal?
I'm sure someone else will chip in once the celebrations are over

Hi Sorry, I may have confused a little, i'm actually looking for the bit of metal I can engrave onto, like an oval type bit of metal but I dont know what theyre called?

Thanks

CJ57
02-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Ah with you now! Well we would all probably make them from sheet metal to whatever specification we wanted, I'm not sure they have a name. Worn round the neck it would be something like a dog tag but round the wrist..... We all tend to make most of the components we use

If you put engraving tags into the search box on Cookson you will come up with a range such as these http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/Sterling-Silver-Round-Disc--------Pack-of-5-With-Pierced-Hole-16mm-prcode-NV1-541X

Dennis
03-01-2015, 09:54 AM
If your work is dainty as you say, you might just buy or make smaller disks and drill them for jump rings to fix them on with. The London Assay office will make up a stamp of your design, or you can buy ready made letter stamps.

Another option is to register for hallmarking, in which case you will get a separate makers stamp with your initials. I didn't say all this was free, though. Dennis.

Gemsetterchris
03-01-2015, 10:13 AM
The letter "p" I did recently was actually a cooksons cufflink blank.
Drill a hole & add a jump ring.

Goldsmith
03-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Hallmark tags may suit your purpose, see; http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/-Alloy=0/-Style=Hallmark_Tags/-Size=0/-Shape=0/-Finish=0/-Holes=0/&prdsearch=y

James

Wallace
03-01-2015, 02:23 PM
sounds indeed like tags James. Here are some more, courtesy of Palmer Metals: http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/sterling-silver-findings/sterling-silver-tags-1.html