PDA

View Full Version : Making Brooch pins with added safety in mind.

blackbear
27-12-2014, 03:38 PM
I have a number of solid silver Celtic brooches ( NOT Pennanulars) The pin assembleys need refurbishing. I would like to find a solid type assembley that includes a safety unit. The modern bought types are so flimsey they just fall apart.
I have checked out what is available in some of my books e.g. Charles Jarvis, Peter Bagley, Tim McCreight. Alas I cannot find anything solid there. Can anyone suggest where I can get quality assembleys or better still a book or DVD that shows various different types that I can use or redesign and make myself. I am self taught and my main achievements in silver have been making and dressing Scottish Dirks with sllver mounts and Gemstones. I am nearly 80 now and have always found this
forum a wealth of knowledge . So here's hoping for a lead to success. Happy New Year to you all. Regards Blackbear. :snowman:

Dennis
27-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Hi Black Bear.
Silver is not very strong for pins, although you can harden the wire by twisting it if you prefer. The alternative is to use stainless steel wire , which is permitted on hall marked items.
My preference is for 0.8mm stainless steel wire fom KC Smith.

The choice is to buy the hinge finding and barrel catch ready made and assemble them as per my first picture, the pin being held with a rivet. Or make you own findings.

A bit of experimentation and you will soon get it right. Dennis.

Dennis
27-12-2014, 08:09 PM
As you haven't come back yet, I thought I would add this:
http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/Sterling-Silver-Brooch-Safety-Chain-prcode-NVC-010

Moon Willow
27-12-2014, 09:53 PM
I have a number of solid silver Celtic brooches ( NOT Pennanulars) The pin assembleys need refurbishing. I would like to find a solid type assembley that includes a safety unit. The modern bought types are so flimsey they just fall apart.
I have checked out what is available in some of my books e.g. Charles Jarvis, Peter Bagley, Tim McCreight. Alas I cannot find anything solid there. Can anyone suggest where I can get quality assembleys or better still a book or DVD that shows various different types that I can use or redesign and make myself. I am self taught and my main achievements in silver have been making and dressing Scottish Dirks with sllver mounts and Gemstones. I am nearly 80 now and have always found this
forum a wealth of knowledge . So here's hoping for a lead to success. Happy New Year to you all. Regards Blackbear. :snowman:

Hi Blackbear
I've just seen your post (Been off the planet all day) I'll gladly put some pics of the joints and catches that are used in my world but till then ill just say our most used is a safety catch (roll over) all our pins are nickle (rockhard)

The pins wasn't permitted to pass out the other side of the catch due to the fact (health and safety ) we sold thousands to the National Health and nurses were getting snagged on the pins (HIV and all that)

I've also hand made larger roll over catches for the large regalia badges and I've used 9th gold for the pins.

Carlton

blackbear
27-12-2014, 11:33 PM
Hello Dennis ,
Thank you kindly for your prompt reply and the pictures. I will have a good look at them and your suggestion and have a go. You mentioned K.C. Smith. can you let me have an address and what dept to ask for the 0.8mm steel wire. I have my own hallmark and I was unaware that you could use another metal than Sterling Silver. I will also check out the Cookson pr code you added. Thank you again BB.

blackbear
27-12-2014, 11:39 PM
Hello MW,
Thank you for your prompt reply and the offer of some suggestions that I can consider. Please feel free to send your sample photos Regards BB

Moon Willow
28-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Here's a few pics of the safety brooch and how it can be applied to your work, the large jewel with beads around the outside has a hand made 60mm brooch pin (2•5 inches) this is used on the larger heavier jewels.
The bar brooches are on general sale and some come with holes so they can be cheniered (rivit) onto your piece.
The seperate joints and catches need to lined up when soldered to ensure your pin is straight.

715671577158[ATTACH=CONFIG]7159[/ATTACgH]

Dennis
28-12-2014, 01:13 PM
No offence intended to Carlton, who is our much valued professional, but for the brooches you mention, I think the ready assembled bars would not be as authentic as soldering on the components separately.

If you want stainless steel wire I would suggest you phone or email Smiths and ask for 0.8mm orthodontic wire:

sales@kcsmith.co.uk

Hadley Works, Cranborne Road

Potters Bar, Herts, EN6 3JL UK

TEL +44(0)1707 620172

For clarity I have not gone into much detail, but as you get started, please ask as many questions as it takes. Dennis.

Moon Willow
28-12-2014, 01:39 PM
No offence intended to Carlton, who is our much valued professional, but for the brooches you mention, I think the ready assembled bars would not be as authentic as soldering on the components separately.

If you want stainless steel wire I would suggest you phone or email Smiths and ask for 0.8mm orthodontic wire:

sales@kcsmith.co.uk

Hadley Works, Cranborne Road

Potters Bar, Herts, EN6 3JL UK

TEL +44(0)1707 620172

For clarity I have not gone into much detail, but as you get started, please ask as many questions as it takes. Dennis.

No problem Dennis I only ever use seperate joint and catches because you can finish your piece without pins getting in the way,

I have an unfortunate habit of trying to spread an answer as wide as possible due to the amount of folks who might have a similar question
but require a different reply (if that makes sense)

Carlton

blackbear
28-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Hello Dennis and Carlton,
I did not want to start a war !!!!!!. So I thank you both for you advice and guidence . I will build on it and I am sure I will get the result I desire. Have a happy New Year. Regards BB

Moon Willow
28-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Hello Dennis and Carlton,
I did not want to start a war !!!!!!. So I thank you both for you advice and guidence . I will build on it and I am sure I will get the result I desire. Have a happy New Year. Regards BB

Don't worry BB...... I think we're all adult enough to have a debate or a different point of view without falling out on this forum, I don't care if you've been in this industry for 5 mins or 50 years we can all learn from each other.:~:

Carlton