PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone Interested In Buying a Ready Set Up Jewellery Business?

glass22
23-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Hi, I'm looking to sell my existing jewellery business it would include domain, trademark(fully registered), a twitter account with over 350,000 followers, a Facebook Page with over 10,000 likes, Pinterest account with over 7000 followers and popular tumblr account. The current brand has a lot of blog reviews, youtube reviews etc. I would be looking for around £15,000 if this is on interest to anyone please message me and I can give details. This would be ideal for someone already making jewellery but struggling with sales/marketing.

caroleallen
23-12-2014, 12:06 PM
It would be good if you could give us the name of your site.

glass22
23-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Hi if anyones interested please message me for details, would sooner not post publically

mizgeorge
23-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Is this a handmade jewellery business? I seem to recall from another forum that you were asking about how to learn silversmithing/metal clay, so is this for a maker or a reseller?

glass22
23-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Is this a handmade jewellery business? I seem to recall from another forum that you were asking about how to learn silversmithing/metal clay, so is this for a maker or a reseller?

Hi Mizz, yes that was me.

It has been all own brand but outsourced manufacture for the past few years and I was looking at moving it in house and making myself.

The followers on all the social sites are interested in jewellery and so are the reviews on the internet.

I'm really selling it as a ready made way to selling jewellery rarther than as a business. Current stock is almost completely gone, About 9000 pieces have been sold, mostly to wholesale.

I have been wondering about making it and moving in house vs simply selling the business off for someone else to do that.

CJ57
23-12-2014, 05:01 PM
£15k for Twitter and FB followers and no stock, that seems a bit unrealistic for everyone on here who designs and makes their own.

Tabby66
23-12-2014, 08:38 PM
I was just thinking the same Caroline.

Can I just check my understanding Glass22.....you are selling the domain name/business name, associated social media accounts, presumably your outsourcing contacts and trade accounts, customer list......no stock, have I missed anything?? Can I ask is this also wholly precious metal, e.g. 925 sterling silver jewellery, or other type of jewellery,....e.g glass,....??

Thanks for clarifying.

Tabby

CJ57
23-12-2014, 08:46 PM

Can I just check my understanding Glass22.....you are selling the domain name/business name, associated social media accounts, presumably your outsourcing contacts and trade accounts, customer list......no stock, have I missed anything?? Can I ask is this also wholly precious metal, e.g. 925 sterling silver jewellery, or other type of jewellery,....e.g glass,....??

Thanks for clarifying.

Tabby
I think any prospective buyers would want to at leisure investigate all that you've mentioned before even getting in touch personally.
You say it's your own brand but manufacture is outsourced, does that mean you design the pieces yourself?

glass22
24-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Hi,

To answer a few things.

I'm selling

* Social Accounts(very popular)

* Domain

* Trademark(Covering the EU)

I can also include a LinkedIn account with a a lot of connections.

--

I'm more than happy to give away a list of people who buy wholesale, contact emails etc

If you wanted manufacturer information I would happily give this.

The reason I didn't mention these was, I honestly don't think someone would want to go that direction on here, my thinking has to either go handmade myself or sell the business, the reason I don't want to carry on in it's current form is just massive volume required by manufacturers, selling 3000 of one type of bracelet etc is do able but I really think making unique pieces and selling for a premium would work very well, especially with such social clout to instantly push new pieces to.

My opinion is the best place for the business to go would be high end hand made, really nice packaging aim for £100+ per item and as each piece is made and being made send out photos to the various social platforms.

Last month my Pinterest account was seen by 100,000 users, my tweets are seen by 1000s, then also pushed to the Tumblr, LinkedIn, Google+, Facebook and even Instagram(I've not used).

With all these sources I'm pretty sure you could sell quickly as long as the items were unique and appealing.

My options have been sell the business or learn silver smithing myself.

glass22
24-12-2014, 09:20 AM

Thanks for clarifying.

Tabby

Hi, it's been middle end costume jewellery and some higher end fashion items, but the social accounts etc any types would appeal to.

BarryM
24-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Irrespective of followers, what is the approx turnover and last 12 months profit? You appear to be offering nothing but a list of contacts. What is the value of the order book? Are there any sales contracts in place that would be transferred? Is it a legal entity that you are selling (eg a limited company)? Are there any outstanding debts or other liabilities? It all seems a little vague but with a very specific price, what is the valuation based on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glass22
24-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Hi Barry as I have stated what is for sale many times, your question has been covered.

enigma
24-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Hi Barry as I have stated what is for sale many times, your question has been covered.

Which one? I don't see any of Barrys ( valid) questions having been addressed?

BarryM
24-12-2014, 10:20 AM

??? You have answered none of my questions. If all you are selling is what you said in earlier posts then i cannot see any value, let alone £15k. Followers who do not buy anything have zero value, without some approx financial numbers i just cannot see where the £15k valuation comes from.

Nick martin
24-12-2014, 10:35 AM
What a curious discussion this is turning out to be, and with no offence intended, I'm with Barry and others in saying that your valuation doesnt seem right.

The social reach / marketing / networking side of things seems well established from what has been said and is a useful and valid side to any business, but without assets, stock, an order book, purchase orders etc its not a sellable commodity on its own!

Nick

glass22
24-12-2014, 10:37 AM
The ability to push a product to thousands of people at the touch of a button is invaluable I can assure you. Your remarks are the equivalent of saying TV ads etc are irrelevant.

What I'm selling is the ability for someone to push their products to thousands of people at the push of a button, while also adding a huge amount of trust to what their selling via reputation, social impact and the huge amount of reviews the business by bloggers, youtubers etc.

While I'm willing to throw in contacts if people really want them, it's not what I see as value because contacts and wholesalers are just so easy to get, as is manufacturers.

Is it a legal entity that you are selling (eg a limited company)? Are there any outstanding debts or other liabilities? It all seems a little vague but
with a very specific price, what is the valuation based on?

As stated there is not a company for sale, I'm selling it's assets you could either rename the social accounts to your existing brand or use mine.

Valuation is based on what I would be willing to sell it vs keep for potential future use myself. It's a very unique proposition to be able to purchase such a large following ready built and a huge relevant audience.

glass22
24-12-2014, 10:41 AM
What a curious discussion this is turning out to be, and with no offence intended, I'm with Barry and others in saying that your valuation doesnt seem right.

The social reach / marketing / networking side of things seems well established from what has been said and is a useful and valid side to any business, but without assets, stock, an order book, purchase orders etc its not a sellable commodity on its own!

Nick

Hi Nick,

Assets such as domain, trademark are included.

Stock is pointless the idea of selling it is to someone making jewellery who therefore has stock. Anyone can just go and buy stock it takes minutes, theres nothing hard about buying stock or having products made that's the easy part anyone who's ever done anything knows marketing is the hard part.

enigma
24-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Marketing is the hard part to some extent but without seeing the details of sales made all of those internet 'followers' could be worthless, i.e.: one would need to see proof of sales and profits for them to have any value.
Its one thing having 'followers' its quite another getting sales from them :)
One would also need to see what has been sold in order to assess whether the client base ( if indeed it is one , see my comment above) was suitable for what the new person wanted to market.

glass22
24-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Marketing is the hard part to some extent but without seeing the details of sales made all of those internet 'followers' could be worthless, i.e.: one would need to see proof of sales and profits for them to have any value.
Its one thing having 'followers' its quite another getting sales from them :)
One would also need to see what has been sold in order to assess whether the client base ( if indeed it is one , see my comment above) was suitable for what the new person wanted to market.

Not really, if you put a product no one wants on a TV ad it wont sell.

If you produce a good product and enough people see it, some will buy.

That's the issue I had with mass selling, manufacturing required say 3000 of each item and for the first year sure they would fly out selling like hot cakes but as the products become out of fashion sales dropped. That's why I wouldn't continue with manufacturing, I would take the business to handmade.

The stock I've had is all but gone, my options are learn silver smithing, or sell the assets I'm not sure where to go.

trialuser
24-12-2014, 11:27 AM
I think that we're giving the OP a bit of a hard time here.
The post asked that anyone interested in more info should contact them by PM.
Anyone interested should do so, anyone not - needn't.
I dare say it is over priced, and if it is, people will realise that when they have the details and it won't sell.
I wouldn't want my business discussed and slated on an open forum.
No need to gang up.
Happy xmas :-)

ps_bond
24-12-2014, 11:35 AM
I would agree. I'm familiar with the sale of a business as a going concern and if I were interested I'd be asking for financial detail - which ought not to be shared on an open forum.

CJ57
24-12-2014, 11:54 AM
I think people have a problem with a business being touted on the basis of social media followers which we all know doesn't mean sales.

ps_bond
24-12-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm a luddite/non-believer on that score too, but it still boils down to there being a willing seller looking for a willing buyer. It's not the way - or the scale - of doing business for most of us here, admittedly.

CJ57
24-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Not sure followers interested in the price point for mass produced costume jewellery transfers to the members of this forum designing and making hand made

glass22
24-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Thank you, of course if someone isn't interest that's their choice.

Although I do find it insulting that anyone discusses the value of social when they have almost no social presence.

glass22
24-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Not sure followers interested in the price point for mass produced costume jewellery transfers to the members of this forum designing and making hand made

I actually think the opposite is true, it would be fairly easy to be selling one of a kind items to 1000s of people for a premium price point. Than it is to sell 9000 of one item.

caroleallen
24-12-2014, 02:11 PM
This is quite an interesting thread as I've often thought that one day I may be wanting to sell my business. What the buyer would get is stock, equipment, designs plus domain name and my NOTHS shop, which is worth quite a lot. I wouldn't have a clue how to price all that.

enigma
24-12-2014, 02:15 PM
I actually think the opposite is true, it would be fairly easy to be selling one of a kind items to 1000s of people for a premium price point. Than it is to sell 9000 of one item.

I would say its a totally different market.

BarryM
24-12-2014, 04:39 PM
I think that we're giving the OP a bit of a hard time here.
The post asked that anyone interested in more info should contact them by PM.
Anyone interested should do so, anyone not - needn't.
I dare say it is over priced, and if it is, people will realise that when they have the details and it won't sell.
I wouldn't want my business discussed and slated on an open forum.
No need to gang up.
Happy xmas :-)

I don't think it is a question of "ganging up" the poster has asked if anyone is interested but there is no detail on which a decision can be made whether it could be interesting or not.

If my questions have offended I apologise but £15k is a lot to ask for something with so little detail. Try watching Dragon's Den to see how "vapourware" is regarded - no numbers, no interest.

metalsmith
24-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Try watching Dragon's Den to see how "vapourware" is regarded - no numbers, no interest.

You're not the only one with visions of Dragons Den

Not being a dragon ... sorry, but ... I'm out

CJ57
24-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Perhaps if it had been posted as business for sale and we been able to look at it. There would have been no need for any costs being discussed on here unless there was interest and in that case a private conversation. It isn't unrealistic to ask questions on the information given.

ps_bond
24-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Although I do find it insulting that anyone discusses the value of social when they have almost no social presence.

Interesting choice of words. It is possible to analyse and form an opinion without needing to partake. Take LD50 tests, for example.
My opinion is that there is a lot of the Emperor's New Clothes about social media and its actual value; cf the dot-com bubbles already gone.

Tabby66
24-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Apologies if i've offended or appeared to gang up....I think folk have been trying to understand what is for sale here, so haven't asked for company name, design details, financial details,.....just more general information,.....enabling clarification and the ability to be able to seriously consider and PM for information that may be more sensitive.

My concern at the moment is that the available 'commodity' of followers for sale via a variety of social media platforms, will not all be transferable from fashion/ lower priced jewellery to 'one-off' £100+ per piece items.....my experience is those are different audiences.....as such the existing audience may not have the value for the perceived audience??

Tabby

glass22
25-12-2014, 09:45 AM
The simple fact is,

If you don't feel thousands of people instantly seeing your product is worth buying, don't buy it.

If you don't feel adding trust to your brand is worth anything, don't buy it.

If you put a good quality product in front of enough people, someone will love it and buy it.

Goldsmith
25-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Hi Glass22, sorry but I do not know your name, please remember that this is a Forum run on peoples opinions and suggestions. Those of us that make items for a living are not of the same thinking as maybe you are. I have thousands of followers all around the world on social media, but I never attempt to sell my items to them. Like others I am not that clear on what you are trying to sell, I have read through this posting and nowhere is there a reference to a website that refers to who you are or what you may be trying to sell. Is there a reason why?

James

metalsmith
25-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Interesting choice of words. It is possible to analyse and form an opinion without needing to partake.

And that is also an interesting choice of words. Social media is exactly that: the environment to nurture the ability form an opinion without needing to partake. I suggest that the great following Glass22 has built up would be immediately put at risk (if not entirely jeopardised) by a stepwise change to an entirely different merchandise type.

Glass22, I'm intrigued by what appear to me to be conflicting ideas:

touting bespoke individually hand made bespoke jewellery to a market that is built up on (cheap(er)) mass market piece-together components
confusing your customer base of, dare I suggest costume jewellery customers with precious metals
the idea that you can think to build up a certain level of 'trust' and then sell it. :-O
confusing 'likes' with sales
missing the apprentice to master craftsman life-long progression and status of many on here (and I don't include myself in that)

However, 'tis the season of good will and all that and I wish you well in your pursuit of a sale - but maybe you're barking up the wrong tree.

CJ57
25-12-2014, 09:08 PM
I often wish there was a like button on here but really I think all this liking business is laziness when you can't be bothered to make proper contact. It means absolutely nothing most of the time!