PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

mizgeorge
01-09-2009, 06:53 PM
I managed to hold (well sort of balance) a couple of pairs of pliers for the first time today and finally finished off this maille cuff.

I'm still not dexterous enough with my left hand and too clumsy with the cast on to have made a 'proper' clasp, so had to use a bought in one, but at least the width is about right.

I suppose if I'd made it about four inches longer, I could wear it over the cast!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/mizgeorge/marstrand2.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/mizgeorge/marstrand3.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/mizgeorge/marstrand1.jpg

It's made in 0.6mm wire (so officially qualifies as micromaille!). Over 1500 rings, and only about five of them thrown across the room ;)

Emerald
01-09-2009, 07:42 PM
its absolutely gorgeous George and being only a beginner in Maille something i aspire to do but i think there would have been far more flying across the room than 5 lol:)))

Di Sandland
01-09-2009, 08:02 PM
George that is exquisite - it makes me think of a miniature victorian cinched waist thingie...

The Bijou Dragon
01-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Chainmail Cinches... ouch!

Nice bracelet but a bit plain for my liking really...

@JasonJohn - Chain-mail is really, really easy it just takes a long, long time... as re-enactors both myself and Mr Dragon have seen our fair share of chain-mail... except it's usually steel washers and mole-grips which make your entire arms ache lol

OH actually made me a chain-mail bra once... I still have it... I'm afraid to wear it :-O

Take a look at riveted chain-mail if you want a challenge though... each link is hand riveted, my OH has a piece of 14th century riveted mail... it's so delicate and his prized possession :)

caroleallen
01-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Very pretty. I admire anyone who has the patience to do chain maille, particularly such a complicated piece. Well worth the effort though.

lesley
01-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Fabulous work there missus!
I'm so glad you're back in action - it must have been a nightmare.[]

Oh yes...........I have a George ring in this design and it's gorgeous and slinky.

MuranoSilver
01-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Oooh how gorgeous!!
(Jason John have you been watching the cartoon version of Robin Hood again
the bit where he kisses Prince Johns hand and comes back with a mouthful of jewels?? lol)

agent_44
01-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Looking good George :)

I love sheet weaves in micromaille, I have a half made piece that's quite similar. Aside from being lovely and flexible and tactile, it kindly informed me I needed stronger glasses not so long ago!

bustagasket
02-09-2009, 06:26 AM
please tell me you didnt solder all the rings? *faints*

Solunar Silver Studio
02-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Fantastic stuff George....but this is definitely one of those pieces I have no urge at all to try to have a go at!! Maille, yes!...I'd love to have a go!...but the rings have to be big enough for me to view with the naked eye!!! Boy, oh boy - you must have some patience!!!!:Y:

kymbi
02-09-2009, 07:11 AM
That's a gorgeous bracelet George and it's good to hear that you are getting back in the saddle with your hand :Y: I am uber-impressed that only 5 rings went across the room - do you take pills for your patience or something?

Petal
02-09-2009, 08:13 AM
OMG George, its just so WONDERFUL !

Jules x

Kalorlo
02-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Wow, that's beautiful!

Do you cut your own jumprings or get ready-made ones? Either way, that's a whole lotta patience!

mizgeorge
02-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Aw, you're all so nice :) Thank you!

Heather, I cut all my own rings. These ones are tiny - 2mm inner diameter, and that definitely isn't really, really easy!

Su', I don't solder every link - this is one of many patterns that are designed to hold without needing to be permanently closed. With more open weaves, especially in smaller wire guages, I do use soldered links where possible. I try to avoid having to solder them in situ though, as it can all get a bit messy, and my eyesight isn't what it was!

Maille can be as simple or as difficult as you want BD. Some weaves are very straightforward, many others most certainly are not. I've also made maille for people to dress up in, in steel, aluminium and silver - though the only request I've ever had for a bra (with matching bits) was from a lap dancer :eek:

AlexandraBuckle
02-09-2009, 08:35 AM
It's gorgeous George! I love it :)
It must me sooo slinky and tactile....

ps_bond
02-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I like that. I hesitated to ask if all the links were soldered - I really wouldn't have the patience to do that! I love the way fine maille flows like water.

First maille I did was in titanium... Second was stainless, where I rapidly learned what stainless does to sawblades.

Pandanimal
02-09-2009, 10:22 AM
That is outstandingly beautiful.
What else can I say?
I know I wouldn't have the patients to do it. I'll just go back to the photos for another drool!

Pandanimal
02-09-2009, 10:23 AM
It looks so soft!

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Lovely work!
Why is it you just want to touch and play with it....so tactile.
Em

bustagasket
02-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Oooh I do love a Disney flick, that scene in Robin Hood has always been my favourite. :D

That s only cos you want his tights dear :-p

bustagasket
02-09-2009, 09:03 PM
lmao you get worse

EmmaRose
03-09-2009, 10:49 AM
can we have a "roll eyes" emoticon please LOL :D

ps_bond
03-09-2009, 10:49 AM
How about :rolleyes: ?

mizgeorge
03-09-2009, 11:00 AM
I already have them.....and crotchless...just call me Lucinda! LMFAO :rofl:

My lampworking torch is called Lucinda. She's pink and fiery..... :-"

MuranoSilver
03-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Oooh I do love a Disney flick, that scene in Robin Hood has always been my favourite. :D

I used to have a little windy cinefilm type toy that had that scene in - it eventually broke through wear and tear ;)

Fiona
03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
That is wonderous George -- fluid, classic and beautifully understated. I couldn't manage to make this if I had 4 hands - let alone one and one in a cast.:worthy: