PDA

View Full Version : Micro torch issues

Samy
21-12-2014, 10:48 PM
As a hobbyist I have only used micro torches at home. Having found this forum after I bought the cookson max flame torch I hadn't read about the hazards of overfilling. Well I've now just experienced it first hand, aargh! Anyway I vented it outside and it's now back to working fine. However I notice proxxon and nimrod torches recommended in another post. Are these less prone to overfilling? Or better for other reasons? I'd like to change mine before I'm a nervous wreck lol.

Dennis
22-12-2014, 03:35 AM
All the small torches, which are re-filled with lighter gas, are prone to overfilling if you persist. They vary in power according to the size of the burner (the tube the flame comes out of). This is not related solely to the temperature claimed for the flame.

The secret is to listen carefully and stop when you hear a change of sound as gas begins to escape.

I have no experience of the Nimrod, the PT500 being recommended as a more powerful version.

The Proxxon is a small torch and mine has never flared, possibly because I am aware of the problem. Dennis.

Moon Willow
22-12-2014, 10:22 AM
As a hobbyist I have only used micro torches at home. Having found this forum after I bought the cookson max flame torch I hadn't read about the hazards of overfilling. Well I've now just experienced it first hand, aargh! Anyway I vented it outside and it's now back to working fine. However I notice proxxon and nimrod torches recommended in another post. Are these less prone to overfilling? Or better for other reasons? I'd like to change mine before I'm a nervous wreck lol.

I fill these torches upside down (gas container above) I hold the torch two thirds of the way up, I can feel the cold gas creeping up my hand and stop
before the cold reaches the top...... They don't need to be full.

Carlton

Samy
22-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Thanks I'll try paying more attention to temperature when I fill it. Sue