PDA

View Full Version : Easy question marking out ring for drilling

stevem099
18-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Hi all. I'm very new to all this and I'm currently trying to make my first ring. It's a simple band in which I want to set 3 stones, same size equal distances apart... Do you think I can do it! I'm just wondering how you guys mark out and if you have any tips as every time I think it looks right once I open holes out to 2mm you can notice there uneven..any simple solutions?
Many thanks
Steve

enigma
18-12-2014, 12:37 PM
I actually work by eye because Im lazy but you could use dividers.

Nick martin
18-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Dividers, or a sharp scribe for marking out. As for the drilling, if accuracy is key then don't use a Dremel!

Also make a small divot with a scribe or a punch for which to place the drill bit into so it doesn't slip.

You need to use a drill where you can carefully control the speed ( therefore the accuracy ) such as a Pendant motor / micro motor.

Nick

Goldsmith
18-12-2014, 01:05 PM
As Nick says use dividers.
First mark a centre line around the ring where you want the stones, marking with the dividers, then mark where you want the central stone and I use an automatic centre punch to make this mark on the centre line. I use one of these; http://www.amazon.co.uk/eclipse-65-171R-automatic-centre-punch/dp/B0043YHBEW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1418907164&sr=8-6&keywords=centre+punch+automatic
When you have the centre marked set the dividers to the distance you want the stones apart, use dividers like these;http://www.amazon.co.uk/100mm-Easy-Adjusting-Spring-Divider/dp/B00H4BWJ0M/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1418907410&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=4+inch+engineers+dividers
Then mark equal distances from the central stone mark with the dividers and use the centre punch to mark the settings, I would then use a 1mm. drill to drill holes for the settings before widening the setting holes with the setting burr. You will find that using the centre punch gives a good start to even drilling.

Sorry if this is to much info.
James

enigma
18-12-2014, 01:38 PM
James you never give too much info, its perfect!
Just ordered myself both of those as Ive been looking for a decent priced auto punch and I don't like the dividers I have.
Thank you.

stevem099
18-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Ah dividers! That makes sense. Thank you all very much! There now on order :) I've been trying to do it by marking it on masking tape then sticking this on the ring and then center punching. :-/
Thank you all very much another lesson learnt :D
Steve

Dennis
18-12-2014, 06:41 PM
You might also start with a smaller drill, and then change to the size you want. Make sure you are using a little lubricant on your drills too. edennis.