PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys get your ideas from???

kaz
09-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey, lovin the forum.

What do you all do for ideas?
Do you guys make sketch books and design books?
Do you have an ideas boards?
Do you take pics with your camera?
Do you refer to fashion magazines etc?
What do you use as inspiration???

Would love to heard what you guys get up to!

:)

The Bijou Dragon
09-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Personally I spend hours at a time looking at jewellery anywhere online to get inspiration, techniques, ideas etc

Sometimes a piece just... makes itself... if that makes any sense

I do have a sketchbook... well more a collection of scrap paper with scribbles on to be honest and it's usually littered all over the flat too :D

I just like getting my stuff out and looking at it and then putting pieces together based on how I feel, how the piece feels or how the individual 'thing' (whatever it may be) feels.

For instance last night I spent looking at Sterling Silver Christening gifts, shower gifts and birth celebrating gifts (jewellery gifts) and got some great ideas (I never EVER copy, just get inspiration) and I also made sure no one is already making the pieces I have in mind already.

I also get a fair amount of bespoke orders so alot of the time I'm working with what other people want which somewhat narrows the field a bit and is a boon when I'm not feeling super inspired and can just plod along.

agent_44
09-07-2009, 11:39 AM
I have a sketch and design book, where I write notes, sketch out idead and designs, and aso record technical details of a piece, measurements, metal gauges etc.

I suppose a lot of my taste and the things I am into show through a little bit too, but a lot of the time, I go around looking for unusual gemstones or components and they make up a lot of my inspiration.

Sheltie
09-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't use a sketch book (hopeless at drawing) I tend to see something in my minds eye and then I will make it, very rarely do I make a copper copy first.

Other than that I trawl historic books for pictures of treasure hoards and then make replicas. Sometimes as I put my work on the bench I find that I like the shape so will turn the pieces into that.

MuranoSilver
09-07-2009, 11:26 PM
I've got scissors, pritstick and an ideas & inspiration book there's all kinds of things in there -
next to each picture I scribble down what I like about it....

It helps refine/confirm my style.
e.g Curvy Organic shapes, texture, splashes of colour there are whole themes running through the book.

I admire Kinetic Angular pieces and the technical skill needed to achieve them, but there are hardly any in my
"inspiration" folder (and when there are it's generally because of a texture etc).

I also regularly cull my magazines and strip them down into articles by type of tutorial/information etc.
I mainly use these for "student inspiration files" but they're also good when you are having creative
block and need a "direction".

Nicola x

amazingbabe
10-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I too have a note pad, an idea can pop into my head at any time, i have even gotten out of bed to write things down or draw something incase i forget by morning.... Keep an eye on the trends aswell..

Ominicci
16-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Am trying to get into the habit of having a notebook - have bought a little one and a big one - little one for using out and about and big one for transferring things into if I think they will work. Silversmith tutor always said to keep an inspiration book of other people's stuff you like and look at it often to keep you inspired. I am not great at looking at 'nature' as a lot of people can and finding inspiration. I am definitely a 'get a piece of sliver/wire out and try to play with it' - although it doesn't always work, as my scrap jar shows!

myke
16-07-2009, 06:03 PM
I think this is such a great question, I doodle shapes on any bit of papper thatsl around. also scrap peices lying around often tricker some thing. before I move up to the west coast I had always lived in the country and quite a longway from the sea. here I am surounded by water it was amazing how my work changed.(wish this tool bar has spell check iam dyslexic don't you not think that's a silly name for people how can't spell!!!!) anway back to my rample.I sell at music fest and I take all my tools with me and a work bench and I often find I pruduce some really nice pieces in that inviroment. well that it the archers coming on and must listen I know bit sad. cheers myke

Charlotte
17-07-2009, 06:22 PM
I rarely design on paper, I've always hated it, and I did a design degree. Luckily my tutor said I had a knack for coming up with good designs in my head and then going straight in to the workshop to create them (much to his GREAT annoyance) I would then develop a collection using that one idea and translating them to different items of jewellery.

I find you need to look in depth at objects which interest/inspire you and take little snippets of their essence (lol, I'm not trying to sound romantic here) and create something with some character, rather than coming up with a few shapes, sticking them together and hoping they will work.

Also the materials themselves dictate what your work will be.

EmmaRose
20-07-2009, 09:26 PM
I use a sketchbook.
Inspiration from what I love...insects, flowers (trips to Kew!), undersea....trips, take photographs, sketches. Books and the internet, jewellery and more....
E

Solunar Silver Studio
23-07-2009, 07:10 AM
I think it depends how long out of a 'teaching' environment you are! Every course I have done involved loads of sketchbook - which I tended to try and make into works of art and really enjoyed doing! I do occasionally thumb through them as all subjects cross over and you can get inspiration from anywhere....has anyone looked at images from electron microscopes recently!!:eek: see some examples here http://www5.pbrc.hawaii.edu/microangela/ That sort of thing informed a lot of my college work.
Now I have less time I tend to sketch ideas when they come on whatever is to hand - envelopes, till receipts ... anything. I think the important thing is to sketch it somewhere because just by the act of drawing it it helps to embed the idea in your memory so it can pop back to mind just when you need it!! I haven't done much 'creative' work recently...I'm saving it up for a big 'splurge' sometime in the future...when I can afford a truckload of pmc!!:D

Coco
23-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Wow! That website is amazing!

Why can't I post links yet?

Solunar Silver Studio
23-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Hi Coco, It is rather amazing isn't it....a whole new world, in fact!! It just goes to show that even 'stuffy' science can be a source for the arts! As for posting - you have to have posted 15 times yourself before they let you add things...so get busy girl! (Sorry if you are not female!!):o I went mad on day 2 and I think I went from 3 to 20 posts and got totally addicted in the process!! As I am so lousy with the computer it is all helping me find my way around it too!!:D
Barbara

MuranoSilver
23-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Wow! That website is amazing!
Why can't I post links yet?

You need 15 posts coco :)

Coco
23-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi Coco, It is rather amazing isn't it....a whole new world, in fact!! It just goes to show that even 'stuffy' science can be a source for the arts! As for posting - you have to have posted 15 times yourself before they let you add things...so get busy girl! (Sorry if you are not female!!):o
Barbara

It really is. I love the Butterfly Wing Scale Closeup . It's kind of like something out of "Alien", but prettier:)

I used to be scared of bugs until I started finding them interesting. Although I still have the occasional :eek: moment if one pops up unexpectedly. And in case that hasn't told you, yes I'm a girl. Well guessed ;)

Coco
23-07-2009, 09:20 AM
You need 15 posts coco :)

But whhhhyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Sorry, having a stroppy moment - not enough coffee yet :rolleyes:

Solunar Silver Studio
23-07-2009, 09:32 AM
I think it is because they want to get you ADDICTED!!:eek:....if you want proof of that have a look at the thread 'How compulsive is this forum!!' ... we are all totally helpless now!:D So keep it up....only 6 more to go!!
Barbara

Coco
23-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Heehee! Love to. Not today though, got to go and sit in a dark basement with ancient newspapers for 3 hours. Such is the joy that my life has become :rolleyes:

julie
23-07-2009, 01:33 PM
i always try and carry a note book & pen ideas can come from anywhere i normally get the best ones when i have forgotten my book & pen tho :( i get ideas from books the internet (i use as its cheaper then getting lots of books ) & magazines some of my ideas come from something i'm already making but i do make alot of bracelets & bangles that way tho ... i'm going to try different stone setting instead this september :D

EmmaRose
23-07-2009, 02:03 PM
and just an FYI, microangela (the lady behind that site) is also a metal clayer!
Em

cybik
23-07-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't usually carry a notebook with me, but I do if I'm going to a museum! Sometimes I decide I have to draw more and just sit in the garden drawing flowers and things. I try to take photographs of birds, but often I end up not managing to get a decent picture so I look online for photos and then do sketches based on that.

Solunar Silver Studio
23-07-2009, 03:37 PM
and just an FYI, microangela (the lady behind that site) is also a metal clayer!
Em
How interesting Emma.....does she have any of her work posted anywhere?? I would have to guess she doesn't do geometric forms!!:D

dgrose
24-07-2009, 06:50 AM
But whhhhyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Sorry, having a stroppy moment - not enough coffee yet :rolleyes:

Hi Coco,
We have lowered the number of posts before you can post links to 5, so you can now post links to your hearts content!:)
Regards
Dave

Coco
24-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Interesting. Hmmmmm, okay....whhhhhhhhyyyyyyyy don't I get free diamonds sent to me every time I post here? :D

ben b
24-07-2009, 01:29 PM

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 04:35 PM
How interesting Emma.....does she have any of her work posted anywhere?? I would have to guess she doesn't do geometric forms!!:D
you'd have to join the forum but:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MetalClayGallery2/photos/album/1719857104/pic/list
Em

Solunar Silver Studio
28-07-2009, 05:09 PM
It took me about half an hour to sign up!! But it was worth it!...Galleries of metal clay work...WOW!! ...and I was right - no geometrics!!
Barbara

Di Sandland
28-07-2009, 08:54 PM
The garden, the moors, the coast, websites and magazines. But what drives me is symbolism, so I tend to spend a lot of time looking at eclectic sites and magazines. Things like mandalas, tarot cards, druid alphabet (the ogham) - this is the sort of stuff that drives me.

Di x