PDA

View Full Version : Ring Size...what would you do?

KarolinaMoon
05-12-2014, 09:51 PM
I recently did a set of claw set stacking rings for a customer based on the ring size she gave me. She was delighted with her rings but asked if I could make them a bit smaller as whilst I had been making them in that month she had lost weight and her fingers shrunk. She admitted it was entirely her fault. I feel a bit gutted to be honest, as I won't have time to even look at them again til well after Christmas. I asked if they were very big and her reply was no, but if her hands were cold she would worry they would be too big. So I'm not sure what to think really. They were custom made and alot of work went into them. To adjust the ring bands properly would really amount to remaking them again. What is the best thing to do in a situation like this?

Nick martin
05-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Sounds like it depends on the work and time element involved in resizing them to me.

If you treat it as a new job, and if she's willing to pay for the necessary work then fair dos. If she's not willing to pay then it's a different story.

Then there's the 'goodwill' bit. If she's a regular customer then you may wish to carry out the work for free in order to chase more business from her? If she's a one off customer then personally I wouldn't do it free of charge.

Ultimately if it was my decision, and given your customers vague brief / facts ( possibly not getting her facts right ) then I'd treat it as a new job and charge her accordingly. Albeit in a polite, professional and diplomatic manner of course.

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

josef1
05-12-2014, 10:16 PM
maybe wait till after Christmas Im sure she will put on a few pounds ;-)

Dennis
05-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Say all that, but ask her to wait a bit (hopefully 'til the New year), because fingers sometimes go down and then up again.

Resizing rings you have just made is a pain. Stretching them back again would be too silly for words. Good luck, Dennis.

KarolinaMoon
05-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Thanks folks....I have already told her to wait til after Christmas (I really don't have time til then anyway). I asked her if they were very big on her, and her reply was no not at all. I'm worried that if I make them smaller, they may be too small if she puts on a few pounds or for other reasons her fingers swell up (as everyone's fingers swell up and down even within a day!). They did take alot of work...The claw settings were handmade not bought. And I'm still trying to get through other orders in time for xmas so the thought of resizing right now is just a bit of a pain!! She would be a repeat customer mind you and I wouldn't want her to have spent money on rings she can't wear. She really is delighted with the rings....I'm just annoyed they weren't a perfect fit...but I wasn't to know she had since lost weight!

Say all that, but ask her to wait a bit (hopefully 'til the New year), because fingers sometimes go down and then up again.

Resizing rings you have just made is a pain. Stretching them back again would be too silly for words. Good luck, Dennis.