PDA

View Full Version : Hello from kent :)

stevem099
03-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Hi all,
I thought I'd join the forum as I have been using it a lot recently and found It full of useful information. I'd only ever made rings out of coins before hand but this Christmas I wanted to make the girlfriend a proper ring so after some research I had a go with delft clay and was quite pleased with my tester. I've set a CZ in it and will set more as practise before making the real one which I have a diamond and two peridots to set in it.
I've never done it before so it's been a steep learning curve but one I'm enjoying lots :) Here's a picture. Please be gentle in your criticisms :)
Many thanks and great site keep it up
Steve

theresa
03-12-2014, 09:57 AM
Hi Steve :~:- Welcome. I think your 1st effort is really good. It's really fiddly getting the stones flush set without slipping and scratching the silver, but the more you do the better you will get. I'm still on that learning curve but have improved a lot I'm pleased to say!:)

Theresa

CJ57
03-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Hi Steve and welcome

We are always gentle :) You really jumped in at the deep end with your first ring and it's looking really good. Making jewellery is always a learning curve no matter how long you've been at it or your work stagnates so welcome to the madhouse!

stevem099
03-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Thank you both very much :) it was certainly a lot harder than the youtube video made out hehe. But I can see this becoming a long term hobby as I found it very rewarding.I have a quick question I think I may have brushed across the stone a few times when cleaning out scratches (which I will try to avoid) as the stone appears a little dull.. When setting the stones do I need to clean them or polish them before and after fitting with a paste or anything? Many thanks steve

Goldsmith
03-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Welcome Steve, it is always better to polish items a certain amount to remove all major work marks and scratches before setting the stones, then if all goes well you just need a final polish.

I must admit that I would never cast simple band shaped rings like the one you show, using wire or sheet to make ring bands gives a much better finish when polished.

James

stevem099
03-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Lol tbh that never even crossed my mind to make it using wire or sheet. But makes perfect sense in hindsight lol.. #-o Still my sisters now saying she wouldn't mind me having a go at making her wedding bands for next year so for that I shall try your method thanks :) should of joined the forum before I started my project I think lol

Goldsmith
03-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Check out some of the tutorials on this forum Steve, this was the last one I posted; http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6295

James

Tabby66
03-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Welcome Steve.....nice first attempt.....definitely straight in at the depend with the design and techniques!!