PDA

View Full Version : Website Review Categories......

geti-titanium
01-09-2009, 12:35 PM
..... are a good way of getting feedback on our pride and joy.

Usability, visuals, page loading speed - that gimmicky piece of Flash that you think is the 'bees knees' might drive somebody else up the wall, so who's going to tell you?

Family and friends don't always give accurate appraisals and you need to hear the good, bad and ugly opinions to change it for the better - anybody like to volunteer to be the first in the chair?

Di Sandland
01-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

www.mooncottagejewellery.co.uk

geti-titanium
01-09-2009, 01:32 PM
First one in the chair - that's what I like to see :)

Nice, clean, easy on the eye site - no unnecessary Flash to slow the site down and irritate visitors, and straightforward to navigate.

Search engine wise (google in particular) I would add more text to the home page and add a sitemap to improve spiderability (if there is such a word!)

In the necklaces category I would lay the images across the page to reduce whitespace and decrease the need to scroll down and in the contact me section I would include full details of your address to instill more confidence that you are a reputable trader. Partiall addresses imply that you have got something to hide and don't want to be found in case there is a problem.

In the links category I would definitely add a link to GETi in exchange for one from their world famous jewellers directory 'The Diamond Yacht Club'. :)

All in all though :Y:

Emerald
01-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Well i know some of you have checked out my website since i posted my address cos i checked the counter before i did (sneaky i no but hey) and i have had 50 hits since then and as its not on google yet so one can only assume...... so go on tell how it is lol:-"

Di Sandland
01-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Geti - I've take your advice re the necklace page and it does look much better, thanks ;)

Emerald
01-09-2009, 06:16 PM
oh and i am after some good metatags pls if you have any suggestions they would be more than welcome.:X

geti-titanium
01-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey Jo, would you like to put your site link in your signature so I can take a look at it?

Emerald
01-09-2009, 09:14 PM
www.trinketsandtins.co.uk

caroleallen
01-09-2009, 09:52 PM
I'd also be interested to hear what you think about mine though I can't do much about changing it as my web designers have to do that.

geti-titanium
01-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Jo's site - trinkets and tins.

OK - here we go! Also everybody else don't be afraid to pipe in if you think I'm talking rubbish.

Firstly, can I just say that I tend to look at a website from a search engine point of view and not a design angle. Nobody really cares how good or bad your site looks once the initial hook is in, but on the other hand, you've only got 8 seconds to get them to stay on your site once they find you, so you have to have something on your site that grabs attention - nudity usually works (but not recommended :)

Good choice of colour for the main background but the product background could do with lightening up a little if you are using black text - Black text on a white background is the ultimate best choice for ease of readability. Text is 30 times harder to read on a computer screen than in print so you need to make it easy for them to make them want to carry on reading.

Change the category heading 'Jewellery' to 'Charm Bracelets'. Charm bracelets are the big thing at the moment so optimising for that search term would be a good idea ('Silver Charm Bracelets' may bring more traffic though)

Same as on previous website with regard to contact details. Not having a definite address and landline phone number is a definite no-no. Visitors will not trust you and ultimately buy from you if they don't know where you are (PO Box numbers are also bad).

You don't have any content in your keywords metatag, which isn't a bad thing with regard to google because she doesn't take any notice of them and 67% of searches are done through her anyway. Other search engines still use metatags so you may pick up traffic from them by adding keywords to your tag.

Loads more text needed - 750 words would be ideal for google on the homepage, but you have to write for people not google, so make sure it makes sense and don't stuff loads of the same keywords in.

An information category would be good - each section of information should be optimised for different key phrases.

Change 'Welcome to our Website' to something that includes your main keywords - this first sentence is an important position and the current wording is wasting its usefulness.

You should be able to add 'Alt img' tags to your images as well that include keywords - I don't know the software to tell you how to do it though.

Betcha wish you'd never asked now don't you? :)

Emerald
01-09-2009, 10:18 PM
deffinatlely not there are some really good points in there and stuff i was going to change but you have pinpointed most of them, you have a great site (bit busy though and deffinatley a blokes page) and probably not anything i will be ever able to get my hands on thanks for taking the time :flowers:

geti-titanium
01-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi Carole,

No good news on your site I'm afraid.

Visually it's appealing if a little bit squished up in the centre of the screen. Having to scroll down a page to see what else there is isn't a major headache these days with a wheel on your mouse. Colours are nice and if the girl at the front is you then I think you should dump your boyfriend and go out with me instead. Only kidding - you're in Cornwall I'm in Birmingham - it'd never work:'( (You will tell your boyfriend I was only joking won't you?!!!!!!)

On to serious stuff now and the real bad news.

The outdated way your site is constructed is ensuring that it will stand absolutely no chance of ever being picked up by google and I would bet 50p that the amount of traffic you get is negligable.

Sounds a bit harsh doesn't it?

Google loves text - she revels in it. If a search term is on your site she will hunt it down and devour it. Now try a little experiment by going to your website and hold the 'Control' button and 'A' together.

This will highlight all the searchable text on your webpage and that is all that google will see. You do have text on your site but it's hidden in those little framey, flashy panel things and can't be read.

Unfortunately, and I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you need a whole new website.

I hope I haven't upset you too much and if you are willing to travel I can meet you half way - only joking again!! Just tell your boyfriend!!!

Back to the visuals again though - search engines aside - I would give it about a 6/10 'cos the girl on the front is a cracker and the products are good.

PS - I'm going to get into trouble for this one I can feel it in my water.

Emerald
01-09-2009, 10:42 PM
One wonders if you are helping us cos we are Gals or are you just a really helpful guy;)

geti-titanium
01-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Aw shucks - you caught me out! :">

Actually, I like looking at websites and analysing them - I'm not claiming to be right though or that I know what I'm talking about.

I used to be in the same position when I started out - the frustration I felt at not seeing any traffic coming to my sight was soul destroying and then the more you learn the higher it gets until you hit the magic first page.

Carole's worrying me at the moment - awfully quiet out there - better not switch the satnav on just yet [-X

Emerald
01-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Starting out ..........this is my second time around when i first started out there was no such thing as google but i am not a high flyer with lost of exciting tools but i do have a nice bench, just trying to make some money before oh sends me out to get a proper job

so if i head into the quarter next week to get some Pickle where are you Getti:mwahaha:

geti-titanium
01-09-2009, 11:11 PM
If you've ever been to Julie's Diamonds by The Jewellers Arms Pub you've been standing outside my empire as well - I'm in the 'Cow Shed' at the top of the stairs at 44 Hockley Street - coffee machine is always on, only £1 a cup as long as you buy something else ! :Y:

Emerald
01-09-2009, 11:18 PM
The Jewellers Arm Pub, The Jewellers Arm Pub have a few storys from The Jewellers Arms Pub but i ant going to tell yea, i was a student in the School of Jewellery and had a workshop and shop in the quarter beneath the big peg many moons ago, cant afford the price of titanium on a housewifes budget.[-X

agent_44
01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Firstly, can I just say that I tend to look at a website from a search engine point of view and not a design angle. Nobody really cares how good or bad your site looks once the initial hook is in, but on the other hand, you've only got 8 seconds to get them to stay on your site once they find you, so you have to have something on your site that grabs attention - nudity usually works (but not recommended :)

Piping in!!

I disagree that nobody cares what your website looks like once the hook is in, I would! To me it's the equivalent of selling your jewellery in a flash boutique store vs showing someone what you have in the inside of your trench coat on a street corner (and in that instance I still mean jewellery ;)). A bad website can look shonky, imply bad quality products, making them look cheaper, and generally putting the customer off buying anything. If you have a terrible looking site then you're never going to get that hook in the first place!

agent_44
01-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Hi Carole,

No good news on your site I'm afraid.

Visually it's appealing if a little bit squished up in the centre of the screen. Having to scroll down a page to see what else there is isn't a major headache these days with a wheel on your mouse. Colours are nice and if the girl at the front is you then I think you should dump your boyfriend and go out with me instead. Only kidding - you're in Cornwall I'm in Birmingham - it'd never work:'( (You will tell your boyfriend I was only joking won't you?!!!!!!)

On to serious stuff now and the real bad news.

The outdated way your site is constructed is ensuring that it will stand absolutely no chance of ever being picked up by google and I would bet 50p that the amount of traffic you get is negligable.

Sounds a bit harsh doesn't it?

Google loves text - she revels in it. If a search term is on your site she will hunt it down and devour it. Now try a little experiment by going to your website and hold the 'Control' button and 'A' together.

This will highlight all the searchable text on your webpage and that is all that google will see. You do have text on your site but it's hidden in those little framey, flashy panel things and can't be read.

Unfortunately, and I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you need a whole new website.

I hope I haven't upset you too much and if you are willing to travel I can meet you half way - only joking again!! Just tell your boyfriend!!!

Back to the visuals again though - search engines aside - I would give it about a 6/10 'cos the girl on the front is a cracker and the products are good.

PS - I'm going to get into trouble for this one I can feel it in my water.

I'd also disagree with a lot of this - design wise it's a pretty great site - attractive, clean and easy to navigate. I think it's well suited to the subject matter and looks professional, on first impressions, I'd take this site seriously IYSWIM!

Splash screens are generally percieved as an annoying no no, customers generally don't like them, but jours is done pretty well, doesn't hang around long so has little chance of annoying anyone!

I do agree with the fact that since your site is written entirely in flash it means that the content of your site cant be searched by engines or spiders. I don't really understand why you would build a site like that entirely from flash, it doesn;t really provide any benefits and theres nothing I can see that your site does that isn't easily acheivable without flash - it might be a question to pose to your web designer!

Emerald
02-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Deffinatley agent 44 if a website is not easy to use or appealing to the eye then i along with most people will click the x button pretty sharpish Caroles Website is both and i am in the hope that mine is to although i know i have work to do:)

caroleallen
02-09-2009, 07:08 AM
OMG! Well I did ask! :'(

Whilst I'd like to maintain the illusion about being the girl on my site, unfortunately I'm a slightly older version, as that's my lovely daughter, Verity. At least I've got something right.

I'd better get onto my designers and see what can be done. Thanks for looking at it.

Solunar Silver Studio
02-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Well Carole - all I can say is you make stunning jewellery and stunning children!![]

caroleallen
02-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks Barbara.

I think I already knew that my site had problems but was in denial as it cost me so much. I do think it's pretty though and as a designer, I'm happy with the look and feel. I think (hope!) it's fairly user friendly. I couldn't afford to have it re-done, so will just have to see if it could be tweaked.

My humble two penny-worth on your site Geti is that it looks a bit clinical and lacks colour. I expect it would appeal to men and it certainly looks professional but I didn't feel I wanted to linger very long as it's not that "pretty". A compromise between search engine optimisation and attractiveness would be good as once you've got them there, you need to be able to keep them.

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 07:46 AM
I disagree that nobody cares what your website looks like once the hook is in, I would!

Your disagreeing with me and to a certain degree at the same time we agree.

My quote:

you've only got 8 seconds to get them to stay on your site once they find you, so you have to have something on your site that grabs attention

Your quote:

If you have a terrible looking site then you're never going to get that hook in the first place!

Once you have them hooked and staying on your website they become blind to the fancy design - alot like banner advertising - nobody clicks on banners because we are so bombarded with them that we don't see them any more (terrible waste of money they are, I fell for that in my early days!)

Attention should always be paid to good photography of the product, information and guiding the visitor around your site to get them to go where you want them to go and allowing them to find what they are looking for.

caroleallen
02-09-2009, 07:48 AM
I also meant to say that I like Moon Cottage and Trinkets and Tins sites, which are visually appealing and not too crowded with information on the front page.
Too much text just puts me off and sends me somewhere else.

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Too much text just puts me off and sends me somewhere else.

Text is a necessary evil - no text = no visitors (unless you have a brand that is automatically recognised and visitors search you out anyway, or lots of quality links)

Plus - text shouldn't put you off a site because it would probably be the text that got you there in the first place, and you don't have to read it all anyway.

caroleallen
02-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Maybe it's a girl thing. Is there any way a compromise can be reached? Is it possible to have loads of text but keep it hidden? You can tell I'm good with technology, can't you!

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Is it possible to have loads of text but keep it hidden?

You can't hide text from google - it will be seen as trying to fool the search engines and, at worst, get your site blacklisted and removed from searches, at best, get you in a position where nobody will ever find you.

You could set up an information section and fill it with, well..... information really. This will be picked up by google which will send visitors to the text and then you will need to direct them to where you want them to go - on to the products and the checkout hopefully. A normal response rate of visitors to your site contacting you or ordering is about 1% - 1 visitor /100 will ask for more information or buy anything - quite sad really :(

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 08:35 AM
it's not that "pretty". A compromise between search engine optimisation and attractiveness would be good as once you've got them there, you need to be able to keep them.

I agree - I struggle to make sites that are visually appealing - mine is hopefully functional and search engine friendly. You hit the nail on the head about finding a compromise between the two. The geti site is packed full of information and my ecommerce site is just about the products - neither will win any design awards but I'll get it right one day :)

Di Sandland
02-09-2009, 08:37 AM
You could set up an information section and fill it with, well..... information really.

Geti, this is what I was planning to do - I had loads of text for my home page but then thought, rightly or wrongly, that too much text there would put visitors to the site off. Would this text be just as google-friendly on an about me page?

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Would this text be just as google-friendly on an about me page?

Yes google treats each individual page of your site as an individual website and as such each page of information should be optimised for one search phrase or word.

If you are lucky enough to get somebody to link to you (which is equivalent to gold dust now!) you shouldn't necessarily just link to your homepage you should get them to link to pages within your site - which is called 'deep linking'. Crikey - all highly technical stuff :-O

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 08:52 AM
rightly or wrongly, that too much text there would put visitors to the site off

You shouldn't worry about putting your visitors off with too much text because without the text you won't have many visitors anyway - you could always put it in the bottom half of your page - that way if they are really interested they can still read it. The top of the page is always the best position for text (search engine wise) but on the other hand don't necessarily design your site for search engines, design for people - nobody said this stuff was easy :)

bustagasket
02-09-2009, 10:04 AM
omg i really dont want my website to go live now, i am in way over my head :(

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 10:23 AM
You'll be alright - we'll all guide you :) Just don't take any notice of me and you'll do fine - apart from changing the colour of that hidden text at the bottom about MrSite of course.

mizgeorge
02-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Su' if you want to hide the Mr Site copyright line, it's really pretty simple.

When you've finished editing the page, switch to html mode (at the bottom of the editing screen) and add this line of text at the end of all the code (on a new line)

<style>body div#footer {visibility:hidden;}</style>

(you can just copy and paste it onto each page)

And that's it!

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 10:56 AM
<style>body div#footer {visibility:hidden;}</style>

(you can just copy and paste it onto each page)

On the other hand though this may affect your rankings as google will see this as hidden text and a possible attempt to fool her - she doesn't know what the text means or why you would want to hide it - deleting it altogether would be better if you can get away with it.

Di Sandland
02-09-2009, 11:07 AM
What makes you think google is a woman, geti? I think its an arsy arrogant man!

lesley
02-09-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm a bit scared now but would you have a peek at my site please, Geti.

It's a Mr Site and I tried following their instructions about keywords and stuff but it became really awkward trying to shoehorn them in. Plus, I always seemed to use other words and phrases more than the ones I wanted as keywords. I'm afraid I gave up trying when "chain" and "measuring" kept coming up top of the list.:)

Emerald
02-09-2009, 11:38 AM

deffinatley with you on that one Di.

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm a bit scared now

No need, it looks fine - a good amount of text but I wouldn't try to cram too many keywords in all on one page. You need to optimise different pages for different key phrases.

Don't hide the MrSite reference and if they provide a sitemap facility it would be majorly beneficial.

You could perhaps also break up the text with some nice product images.

All in all though you can breathe a sigh of relief.

PS

All those links to other websites - if they aren't linking back to you I would get rid of them - the majority will be only benefitting themselves and not you.

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 11:54 AM

No man could multitask and spider websites like google does - he'd be too distracted :^o^:

lesley
02-09-2009, 12:05 PM
No need, it looks fine - a good amount of text but I wouldn't try to cram too many keywords in all on one page. You need to optimise different pages for different key phrases.

Don't hide the MrSite reference and if they provide a sitemap facility it would be majorly beneficial.

You could perhaps also break up the text with some nice product images.

All in all though you can breathe a sigh of relief.

PS

All those links to other websites - if they aren't linking back to you I would get rid of them - the majority will be only benefitting themselves and not you.

Phew, thanks.........and and there weren't even any lady pictures.:)
Some good tips too
I did submit a sitemap to Google via Mr Site - does it not show up?

I know what you mean about the links.:) I got a bit carried away when I set up the site and now feel mean removing them. They were supposed to be reciprocal but not everyone "remembered"

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Interesting points all!
Do comment on my site if you like
www.jewellerybyemmarose.co.uk
I have found I have only climbed google ranks by my links....
Carole, I like your site, the only thing I found confusing was the wedding tab....no examples...what flowers where??? link back to tiara page and any other relevant pages or have some thumbnails click through or a slide show where the bride is....
Em

lesley
02-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh, and I definitely think Google is a man 'cos I can't flippin' understand him and he's infuriating and won't do what you tell him.

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi EmmaRose,

I think you can feel it in your water as to what I'm going to say can't you?

Firstly - whoa!! Header image is a bit bright and I can't quite make out what the image is in the header - too fuzzy.

Next - distinct lack of text on the homepage - no, hang on a minute! It took me all of 2 seconds to spot the biggest attempt at keyword stuffing a webpage and hiding the white text on a white background that I have ever come across - if I can see it, google's seen it and promptly relegated your site to the back of beyond. The good news is that you are still listed in the google index but please get some serious help and advice about this site before you do lose it.

I think anything that I have touched on in other sites goes triple for yours - it's completely wrong on all counts.

I could have bull**it**d you and been a bit more tactful, and the last thing I want to do is hurt your feelings, but if I don't tell it like it is you aren't going to know.

Products - the images are nice, but I haven't a clue what they all are - why? Because there is no text telling me - I'm a man. I work with metal and computers and polishing compounds and smelly chemicals. I don't know what pretty things are and what they are for so tell me... and pad it out a bit for google (but not in white text obviously :(|

Back in a bit after my tea - that's if you're talking to me!

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 08:00 PM
LOL no appreciate candour....believe it or not that was what I was advised to do by a web "guru" on a mentoring scheme (sighs), less clutter, lots of imagery and the word stuffing thing (:(|)
not sure why my logo comes out fluffy (probably the not wonderful software since I don't use HTML)
Em

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Thank God for that - I was beginning to feel like Simon Cowell :">

You can still save it - all you need to do is bring the text out into view and probably rewrite it without stuffing.

On another point though - assuming somebody sees the prices, likes the product and wants to buy, ask yourself just how easy it is for them to do that right now at 9:08pm

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 08:15 PM
OK the word stuffing should be gone. Advice on type of text and where to put it without looking cluttered appreciated? You don't think header is OK as jewellery bright....so a toned down version of the same colours or something simple??
Thanks again. Your honesty and clear advice is very refreshing. So many people are afraid to tell the truth and just say oh its nice/ fine....hope jewellery crits here become as honest too!
:X
Em

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 08:28 PM
hope jewellery crits here become as honest too!

Don't get me started on some of the jewellery - I've kept quiet so far ! Only kidding, you've all got far more talent than I have.

Back to business though:

No fancy fonts - stick to arial.

Write as if your audience is aged between 14-16 years old, so no fancy words.

Split the text up into smaller paragraphs - this makes it easier to read just in case anybody does want to read it.

Softer colours in the header would be easier on the eye - I noticed as well you have a colour clash on the navigation bar on pages other than the home page.

You're tinkering with it as we speak aren't you?

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Payback time.

I'm going to give people the chance to chew me up and spit me out now - any advice offered on my site www.fatcowdesigns.com ? - no holding back now - it feels good to let go! [-o<

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 08:34 PM
LOL how did you guess! Actually having problems uploading :N: winsock error...may need to try again tomorrow. Am totally self taught some all a learning process. And no matter how good our jewellery may (or may not) be it can always be better, we can keep learning.
So text wise, you want to know what/ how its made? inspiration? what kind of info.
Thanks for your time!
:ta:
Em

bustagasket
02-09-2009, 08:49 PM
oh god your site stinks! Damn it who let that bloody green eyed monster out again!!!???

I would even begin to say anything about whether your site is good or bad, i was to busy dribbling over the laser cut stuff. My eyes went straight to them, ignored everything else lol

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Text wise, you can describe the product mainly (think about keywords and phrases) Also if you find you have a lot more to say about a product, you could possibly link some of the text to an information page about how it was made and then from that page link to similar products of interest - guide them around your site with linked text.

People subconsciously know what a link looks like without it being obvious and will follow out of curiousity, finally ending up at the product they want to buy and, hopefully, the checkout.

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 08:57 PM
oh god your site stinks!

Everyone's a comic - good job I'm thick skinned (or am I just thick? who knows?) :~:

Note the clever lack of design and the extravagant use of - dare I say it? TEXT

bustagasket
02-09-2009, 09:01 PM
lmao i really didnt notice the text hun i have to say, the jewellery was just to powerful and drew me straight in. But then surely that is a good thing?

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 09:04 PM
But then surely that is a good thing?

Yes - brilliant. Nobody really wants to read - they're too busy. The text is just for search engines - I haven't even read it myself and I wrote it! :)

lesley
Oh yes, I got slightly distracted by a platinum and rose gold ring........and the stainless steel and...... :)

First, it's very clear and easy to use. If I can't work out what to do on a site I leave.

Photos are amazing!

It's very obviously a man's site in the same way as I guess a lot of others are so obviously feminine. Do many women buy for themselves from your site?
Until I started looking at the sizes I assumed the rings were just meant for men.

Can't think of anything else except gorgeous stuff - not jealous at all.:)

By the way, Emma Rose, I love your photos - very elegant.

geti-titanium
lmao - What does this mean?

bustagasket
02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
lmao so glad i am not alone in not reading it then

bustagasket
02-09-2009, 09:06 PM
LMAO - laugh my ass off

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Do many women buy for themselves from your site?

I would say the market is 75%-25% in favour of men, but the majority of styles can be made more feminine by slimming them down a bit. We just don't get asked too often.

Emerald
02-09-2009, 09:15 PM
ROTFL

Get with it Getti

Di Sandland
02-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Okay, time to fess up - did any of you wonder why Getti was so lenient with me? I write web content for a living. I don't design - so I don't know all about why a title might be fuzzy - but I do know about key-phrasing and how to write a web page without stuffing.

I'm happy to help any of you - pm me if you would rather or ask on here, its up to you and I'm happy either way. Just remember that I have to earn a living too.

Emerald
02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
easy when you know how huh Di, i do remember you saying before, i just need ideas for Metatags the bits Geti mentioned i had already thought needed to be changed but the idea of more text just make me feel ill took me long enough to write that lot lol but any help much appreciated

bustagasket
02-09-2009, 09:26 PM
so many clever computer peeps on this darn forum!

Di Sandland
02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
easy when you know how huh Di, i do remember you saying before, i just need ideas for Metatags the bits Geti mentioned i had already thought needed to be changed but the idea of more text just make me feel ill took me long enough to write that lot lol but any help much appreciated

The web abounds with free metatag generators, for instance, this one (http://www.free-webmaster-tools.com/Meta-Tag-Generator.htm). Having said that, I never use the things. My advice is to imagine you're speaking to somebody about your jewellery, think of the words and phrases you would use in conversation - they are your metatags. My understanding is that google no longer pays much heed to the metatags at the top of each page, rather, he reads the text on your page and he's interested in seeing conversational words and phrases. Think too about the different words you might use for the same thing - as a quick example, a necklace may be called a choker, a pendant, a lariat yada yada yada.

I don't know if this is helpful or not - its been a very busy day and brain is on go slow but if you have more specific questions you can always pm and I'll see if I can help.

geti-titanium
02-09-2009, 09:44 PM
he reads the text on your page

I may be quiet but I am watching. :)

Emerald
02-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks Di will do some more writing tommorrow and see what i can come up with, it is always eaier to talk about someone elses work than your own:(|

Di Sandland
02-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I may be quiet but I am watching. :)

Scandal! Google identified as Geti. He is currently to be found hiding on the Cooksons forum.

lesley
02-09-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm getting slightly lost now - what's the difference betwwen a keyword and a metatag? I've actually forgotten what a metatag is anyway.

Gorgeous dog, Geti.......Doberman?

agent_44
02-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Key words are basically the words and terms that you think people will use when searching online when looking for websites offering what yours does.

Your keywords should be included in meta tags and ALSO in the textual content of the site itself, including the alt attribute on your image tags. This will help make sure the various search engines can index your site - Google uses site content to index, and others more likely to use meta tags (although that is a bit of a generalisation).