PDA

View Full Version : Commision from Heaven - Commission from Hell?...

Solunar Silver Studio
01-09-2009, 07:56 AM
I have had a really bizarre commission to do just recently which involved both my jewellery making and some cake making. As I was doing it I kept thinking to myself – well, this is definitely a one off…I’ll never be asked to do something quite like this again!! The necklace and the cake were commissioned by two different people but were destined for the same recipient. Both came with a definite idea of what they wanted… Both had to be finished for the same day… The girl, who was going to be 21, has a passion for cows!!!

This is what I made – a handmade fine silver chain with fine silver heart pendant embellished with a ‘cow spots’ pattern in black enamel.

180 I took about a hundred shots of this darn thing and not one has come out without some random reflection somewhere!! Oh well!

The cake was made following a pencil doodle of what was wanted – including a colour scheme - madiera sponge cake with raspberry jam and buttericing decorated with sugarpaste and a hand crafted sugarpaste cartoon cow! I tried to get the two items to sort of co-ordinate!!

So that is my most bizarre commission to date….and I have just received great feedback this morning on Facebook from her... so I am a happy bunny! (I must try to persuade her to write it again on my website!!:D)

So...what about yours…. What is the weirdest thing you have ever been commissioned to make? What was the commission from hell that you wish you had never taken on?

Come on…roll up…roll up….tell your commission stories here!!!

bustagasket
01-09-2009, 08:55 AM
lmao no commision story but wanted to congratulate you on a brilliant pendant and cake, and not a cow pat in sight!!! :-p [[]]

Paula
01-09-2009, 10:14 AM
WOW!
They are both fab!:Y:

mizgeorge
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Those are fabmoolous Barbara :)

Emerald
01-09-2009, 10:56 AM
both are fabulous but i cant really think of anything that bizarre that i have had commisioned, years ago though when i first started out the local papers ran a couple of articles and the only reponse was from really old people (well they where really old when i was 18) who wanted quaint liitle rings made thinking they where helping me which was sweet yes but........

The Bijou Dragon
01-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Awww I absolutely adore that little sugarpaste cow on top!!

The jewellery is beautiful also... brilliant job all round :D

Di Sandland
01-09-2009, 12:54 PM
sorry, can't resist - you clever cow you

Barbara, they're brilliant!

Kalorlo
01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Hee! Those are great :Y:

Solunar Silver Studio
01-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Aw...thanks for the really nice comments folks! But you were also supposed to be adding some happy stories or horror stories of your own!!

...and don't knock the 'little old ladies' Jo!! Some of us are terrifyingly close to that category!!:'( But how wonderful to have articles written about you in the paper...even if it was only a local one!! Well done you!!:Y:

caroleallen
01-09-2009, 04:42 PM
I love both those pieces. I made cakes also in another life (for about 20 years) before I started with the jewellery. I was asked for all sorts of wierd and wonderful things. I think one of the most stressful was for a skyscraper cake for the director of a construction business which of course I didn't have a big enough box for and it collapsed in the car on the way to it's destination. I had to do a very quick repair job which was most embarrassing.

Emerald
01-09-2009, 04:48 PM
...and don't knock the 'little old ladies' Jo!! Some of us are terrifyingly close to that category!!:'( But how wonderful to have articles written about you in the paper...even if it was only a local one!! Well done you!!:Y:[/QUOTE]

Well it was when i was 18 and i am way down the line now, well not that way but oh it does feel like it ;)

Emerald
01-09-2009, 04:50 PM
uh what happened there??????:confused:

Solunar Silver Studio
01-09-2009, 05:03 PM
It must be your age dear!!:-D

Solunar Silver Studio
01-09-2009, 05:11 PM
I love both those pieces. I made cakes also in another life (for about 20 years) before I started with the jewellery. I was asked for all sorts of wierd and wonderful things. I think one of the most stressful was for a skyscraper cake for the director of a construction business which of course I didn't have a big enough box for and it collapsed in the car on the way to it's destination. I had to do a very quick repair job which was most embarrassing.

ARRGGHHHH!!!! How awful!! That is the one thing I dread about cakes...when you get to the stage that it is too late to do something about it if something traumatic happens to it!! I have had to transport 2 3 tier wedding cakes with full bouquets of sugar flowers across the Pennines over the years...and I died a death over each bump all the way there even though they were all boxed seperately)!! Fortunately I only had a couple of flowers break and I had taken spares that I could wire in so that was OK! I don't think I could handle a sky scraper!! I think that might be the one I turn down! Although, someone did mention a cruise ship wedding cake.....I hope she has forgotten that idea and will go for a more conventional style...or will approach a different cake decorator!!

MuranoSilver
01-09-2009, 05:43 PM
I sooo love your moo-ving pieces, bet she loved them!
nic x

Lindyloo
01-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Actually I had to do a cake and a piece of jewellery for the same person recently. It was my first ever cake decoration project, so nothing like as good as yours Barbara.

They were both for my godson, for his christening. And I had to do them both for zippo. I think I didn't read Rena Klingenburg's comments thoroughly enough about how to avoid making jewellery for friends for free. And cakes cost quite a bit to make too. Luckily, I used some scrap silver from my box of tricks, and all I purchased was a chain and a teeny weeny sapphire.

Must make a mental note to go back to Rena for some better tips. Or perhaps it's a lost cause. I am just such a pushover.=:-O

agent_44
01-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Love them both! If only you could give us all a sample of the cake to taste...

Pandanimal
02-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I do love that happy cow!

I have only had one commission so far, It was for 20 sets of 3 beads for the owner of my local stichcraft shop, Cotswold Stichcraft, in Malmesbury.
Not the most inspiring job in the world but she was so pleased with them it made it all worth it. And she might order more!
I can't wait to see what she does with them.

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 12:44 PM
wonderful work! I love the cartoon cake. Admit you loved it!
Just ask permission to quote her on your website
Em :Y: