PDA

View Full Version : Pmc/copper/enamel

caroleallen
01-09-2009, 06:46 AM
I've got a little idea for a piece that's enamelled and counter-enamelled on 2 pieces of domed copper (back to back) and then surrounded by a strip of pmc in a sort of rough organic way. It will only work if the copper is already enamelled, not enamelled after as the technique is for enamel sifted through a stencil. My question to the experts is, will the shrinking pmc crack the enamel on the domed copper and which is the best pmc (or art clay) to use for this technique? I'm not too worried about over-firing the enamel, as that's part of the look.

Solunar Silver Studio
01-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Obviously you will have to wait for Nic for the definitive answer - but I wouldn't think the pmc shrinkage would be a risk for cracking the enamel as I think it sort of takes the path of least resistance and will thin out a it fires rather than 'put the squeeze' on a chunk of metal!! I don't think pmc and enamel work very well that way round though...as when I had a similar question Nic said that the enamelling should be the last thing you do as the long hot firing to get a sound piece of pmc would pretty much destroy the enamel.....there is organic and then there's organic!!

I'm sure Nic will be out of bed soon!! (Sorry Nic....couldn't resist it!![])

caroleallen
01-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks Barbara. If I used PMC 3 would it need to be fired for ages? Would it be strengthened by the copper inside?

Solunar Silver Studio
01-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Erm...where's Nic when you want her...?? :dontknow: I really don't know all the technical stuff about the different clays...I just play and observe what happens to the stuff I do. Just twiddle your thumbs for a bit...I'm sure she'll be along in a bit!!!:-D

MuranoSilver
01-09-2009, 08:08 AM
I've got a little idea for a piece that's enamelled and counter-enamelled on 2 pieces of domed copper (back to back) and then surrounded by a strip of pmc in a sort of rough organic way. It will only work if the copper is already enamelled, not enamelled after as the technique is for enamel sifted through a stencil. My question to the experts is, will the shrinking pmc crack the enamel on the domed copper and which is the best pmc (or art clay) to use for this technique? I'm not too worried about over-firing the enamel, as that's part of the look.

I'm sure Nic will be out of bed soon!! (Sorry Nic....couldn't resist it!![])

I-):cheers:
Out of bed having my coffee!

The shrinkage of PMC might crack the glass but more likely the enamel would be ruined by the time and temp needed to fire the pmc.....if fired at lower temps you need to fire it for longer....
Why not make the domes out of PMC? then add the organic edge and fire. You can enamel all you like then and be safe in the results :D
Or even embed the copper in the pmc then fire then enamel

Nic x

caroleallen
01-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks Nic and Barbara. I was afraid you'd say that. It wouldn't work unless the enamel was done first due to the process used. Never mind. Back to the drawing board!

agent_44
01-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Could you not ditch the PMC idea and use sterling/fine silver to make a kind of two fronted bezel?

caroleallen
01-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Yes, I could do that but was trying to cut down on the work involved. Should have known there's no easy way.