PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Bangle Nightmare!!

KarolinaMoon
15-11-2014, 08:45 PM
hello everyone! I have been asked to make a silver bangle for a friend...she wants it to be similar to a ring I have made, which is basically a wide band ring (1cm wide made from sheet silver) with a gap in between and a tube set stone in the middle. The bangle will be made from sheet silver about 0.8mm wide, with a gap inbetween and a green tourmaline tube set in the middle of the gap. First off, Im in the middle of a torch nightmare, and my sievert is broken, so all I have is a handheld max flame, which just isn't melting the solder on larger items like bangles. I am getting my sievert fixed, and hoping it will make a difference. I've never made a bangle like this before, most bangle I have made don't involve stone settings. Just wondering if anyone has made a similar bangle design before, and any ideas how this might work out? (is it possible!!??)

Thanks for any help!!! :ta:

enigma
15-11-2014, 08:49 PM
You really need a decent torch to solder a bangle, I use my Sievert and it just manages on thick ones ( 2.5mm by 10mm) so you should be fine when you get yours back.
Other than that, is the design itself causing problems? if so it would be a good idea to post your design sketches :)

Dennis
15-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Sarah has said it all, really.

You would probably fail to solder even a thin wire bangle with a small hand held torch, because it will loose heat as fast as you try and apply it.
In fact by persevering, with a pointy blue flame, you might overheat a section of wire, without any soldering success.

The Sievert is not very complicated, so I'm wondering what went wrong with it? Dennis

KarolinaMoon
15-11-2014, 11:36 PM
Hi,

Thanks Sarah and Dennis for your help with this. I've had a problem with my sievert randomly bursting into flames (very frightening!), and despite ensuring everything is tightening and attached property it is still happening. so its been sent off to the company I purchase it from to be tested etc. Hoping all will be sorted in time for all my Christmas orders to be done....luckily I only have a couple of thicker bangles to do. I was hoping the max flame handheld torch (being a bit more powerful than the average handheld torch) would suffice, (it has been good with thin wire bangles to date!), but I think my luck has run out this time....

You would probably fail to solder even a thin wire bangle with a small hand held torch, because it will loose heat as fast as you try and apply it.
In fact by persevering, with a pointy blue flame, you might overheat a section of wire, without any soldering success.

The Sievert is not very complicated, so I'm wondering what went wrong with it? Dennis[/QUOTE]

Dennis
16-11-2014, 02:05 AM
Looks as if you might consider an emergency standby for the future then Karolina. Dennis.

Patstone
16-11-2014, 07:41 AM
I have a plumbers handheld torch with a gas canister attached to the handle, I use it for all my bigger jobs as the one I have for normal use isnt hot enough for big jobs. I used it for soldering 2mm x 2mm x 2mm gold square on a 3mm thick bangle and it worked ok.

caroleallen
16-11-2014, 08:27 AM
My Sievert used to burst into flames as well but only when I used the massive nozzle and it wasn't tightened enough. I just used to blow it out and carry on! I'm not a fire sign (saggitarius) for nothing!

Patstone
16-11-2014, 09:10 AM
My mum is a Saggitarius, birthday on the first of Dec, will be 97 years old !!!!!

Stacey
16-11-2014, 11:58 AM
To quote Homer Simpson, "trying is the first step on the road to failure." Been on that road trying to solder a 2.5mm square wire bangle with a maxflame, don't waste the butane.

LydiaNiz
17-11-2014, 10:26 AM
My maxiflame does ok up to 3mm for bangles, but anything bigger I resort to the big ole DIY one.

KarolinaMoon
05-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Got my sievert fixed, and got the bangle made....really pleased with how it turned out actually (better than expected!). ��

Dennis
05-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Well done Karolina.

Vos
05-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Got my sievert fixed, and got the bangle made....really pleased with how it turned out actually (better than expected!). ��I followed this thread as a lurker (does that sound sinister?) and so glad it worked out. Can I ask what the issue was with the sievert as it's something I aspire to buy one day?ThanksVos

Dennis
06-12-2014, 12:07 AM
From memory the Sievert is simple enough, but has two joints with brass nuts that can loosen. If escaping gas ignites, it is quite close to the hand and can scare you into dropping it. That said it is the probably the most popular torch in UK.

You might also consider, if you haven't already, the EZ torch, which is lighter in the hand and has the benefit of an adjustable air intake, so that you can work with a bushy flame when required. Dennis.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ez+torch+review&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp&gfe_rd=cr&ei=aEiCVLOOO4n4-gbxoYHYBg

KarolinaMoon
06-12-2014, 12:21 AM
Vos. ..I sent the torch back to the company I purchased it from and they very kindly inspected it free of charge and found that the neck tube was loose thus meaning gas was escaping from there hence the random (and frightening!!) Flames!! So if you get one please ensure everything is screwed on really really tight!!
QUOTE=Vos;74147]I followed this thread as a lurker (does that sound sinister?) and so glad it worked out. Can I ask what the issue was with the sievert as it's something I aspire to buy one day?ThanksVos[/QUOTE]

Nick martin
06-12-2014, 08:33 AM
I also had the human fireball experience with the Sievert. Well my arm and the torch caught fire due to the bolt at the base of the torch handle not being tight enough.

Tighten by hand, then nip tight with a wrench ( regulator, torch base, nozzle ) and its a great torch. I only use mine for casting however.

Nick

KarolinaMoon
07-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Ouch...that sounds frightening! It happened me three or four times, however I managed to avoid being set on fire! Quite frightening, and makes you more cautious when using a torch for sure!

I also had the human fireball experience with the Sievert. Well my arm and the torch caught fire due to the bolt at the base of the torch handle not being tight enough.

Tighten by hand, then nip tight with a wrench ( regulator, torch base, nozzle ) and its a great torch. I only use mine for casting however.

Nick