PDA

View Full Version : Setting pearls

allyclaret
09-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Morning all.

Looking for a little advice. I'm looking to set some pearls and have tried in the past without success. What adhesive would you recommend? I have been roughing up the post and tried araldite. I've also tried pearl cement but it has set before I've had time to adhere it to the post!

Any advice would be appreciated :)
Ally

Dennis
09-11-2014, 01:43 PM
There should be no problem with Araldite mixed thoroughly but except for tiny pearls, you need a cup too. This is just a domed disk, small enough not to show from on top.

For studs, the rest of the post passes through the cup to act as an ear post on the other side.

The adhesive is fed into the half drilled pearl with a saw blade or pin and the pearl held in place until any trapped air has escaped, because that would push the pearl off again.

If you are very worried, you can notch or roughen the post slightly.

Normal Araldite takes about eight hours to harden, so because I am impatient, I buy rapid or 5minuten epoxi. Dennis.

CJ57
09-11-2014, 02:33 PM
I'd agree with all Dennis has said and to get the air out of the hole I wiggle the saw blade in and out of the glue before I put whatever it is on the post, that usually releases the air. Rapid for me too, mixed correctly it should give you just enough time to do what's needed

caroleallen
09-11-2014, 03:03 PM
That ring I referred to the other day came back. The post hadn't snapped but it appears that the glue failed. There is still some 5 min epoxy around the post and where it's attached to the ring so I don't think I can do any more soldering to it, or can I? I was hoping to be able to solder a little cup into it.

Goldsmith
09-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Carol, if you can't get the epoxy off, put the ring without the pearl in some Nitromors paint stripper and the epoxy will soften and can be peeled off, if you left it overnight the glue will dissolve.

James

CJ57
09-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Can you not just burn off the remaining epoxy,you might have to take a brass brush to it if it leaves residue, pickle and then solder in a cup? Remember it'll get a bit smoky!

caroleallen
09-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Thanks James, I'll try that

caroleallen
09-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Sorry Caroline, I didn't spot your post. I'll try the Nitromors and if that doesn't work, I'll have a go with heating it.

pearlescence
09-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Hi
We've been using gel superglue for the last six months and it's been working really well. Very controllable and we've had no failures at all. Has to be the gel though, not the runny.
You don't need to work the glue into the hole with anything, just put a tiny blob on the post and work the pearl up and down a few times. The post should fit the hole with no gaps at the side. No need to rough it. Glue works by creating a vacuum, so the tighter the fit and the smoother the better. Make sure that there is some glue on the cup as well. wipe off any excess as you go along
Carole, just 'ping' the set araldite off with a needle point or with your needle point pliers and drill out any in the hole in the pearl with a fine drill (don't enlarge the drill hole though and make sure you hold the pearl steady so the bit doesn't snap off)
Supersneaky trick for pearl cup for setting -use a stud earring finding. We do
drill through or nearly through the shank so that the ear post will fit in. Drill a shallow countersink to allow some of the cup to sit on the shank. Trim off the ear post of the finding so the whole drops into the shank. Solder.

CJ57
09-11-2014, 04:45 PM
We should have all left it to the expert :)
I'll give you that you wouldn't need to rough up a post but on any larger area I was taught to score or roughen up the surface of the metal. I've done a lot of inlay work over the years and if it goes into a completely smooth surface it can with the slightest bit of flex pop out. Usually it's the one I've done properly that needs taken out again and doesn't want to come because it's so well stuck!

caroleallen
09-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll get some of that superglue. I may find it easier to make my own cup though as the pearl is quite tiny and there's not much space inside the nest that I made. I was thinking if I make the post through a hole in the cup, I could drill down through the ring shank and push the post through to anchor it. Does that make sense?

pearlescence
09-11-2014, 05:24 PM
We have all diff sizes of cups so easy for us to select.
yes, what you plan does make sense. You'll know the sneaky way for next time! Works to make some pendants too - just bend the ear post round to make a loop and solder.

It's one of those things which, once we had thought of it we wondered why we hadn't thought of it years ago - and not seen it done anywhere else though I am sure I am not the first!

allyclaret
09-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks folks for all the advice. I suspect that the post wasn't a snug enough fit.

I hadn't heard of 5 minute epoxy or the superglue gel so I'm off to shop :-)