PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan Necklace

The Dragon
31-08-2009, 09:36 PM
This is one of the peices I just finished working on.

It's a long lariat design, using Hemalyke (man-made hematite for want of a better description), Swarovski bi-cone, twist bead and glass pearl.

It's also the first piece that I have photographed in my new light box (and for those of you who saw the post with my new slate stager). What do you all think?, I'm such a perfectionist I find it hard to be objective, I'm aiming for a web shop quality photo to sell my work.

Be honest I won't take it personally (exits stage left sobbing quietly).

:feedback:

bustagasket
31-08-2009, 09:46 PM
No sobbing required its a great piece :D

Emerald
31-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I love the lariat, stunning but i think the background is draining the colour have you tried toning down the background:)

mizgeorge
31-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I think the piece is lovely - and I'd love to see how it looks worn, but I'll be completely honest and say I don't think the photography's there yet. The colour balance doesn't seem quite right (unless your slate is much greener than my slate) and the focus seems slightly off here and there.

Have you made any white balance adjustment for your new setup? And are you getting enough light in there. Using a lightbox does seem to need more light.

It's an extraordinarily difficult piece to photograph though - loads of shine and sparkle, and not small either!

Emerald
31-08-2009, 10:29 PM
i try and do all my photography outside i am not saying my photos are particularly good but i think natural light helps somewhat in getting the colours right:)

Paula
01-09-2009, 10:17 AM
I love that piece and i agree that i would love to see how it's worn.

Fab though babes!

Di Sandland
01-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Well, I think the design is great because I have done something exactly like it! Mine was inspired by Blackbird's eyes and has proved to be very popular.

As to the photography, the colour balance is definitely off and a bit of judicious cropping wouldn't come amiss so that all you see is the slate with none of the white around it. Once you've taken your pic, try a bit of manipulation of the colour balance with the software on your pc.

Blackbird Bracelet (http://www.mooncottagejewellery.co.uk/bracelets.html)

Petal
01-09-2009, 10:58 AM
I think the piece is lovely - and I'd love to see how it looks worn, but I'll be completely honest and say I don't think the photography's there yet. The colour balance doesn't seem quite right (unless your slate is much greener than my slate) and the focus seems slightly off here and there.

Have you made any white balance adjustment for your new setup? And are you getting enough light in there. Using a lightbox does seem to need more light.

It's an extraordinarily difficult piece to photograph though - loads of shine and sparkle, and not small either!

Your necklace is absolutely stunning, :Y: but I agree with George that the slate takes away from the beautiful piece you have made. It is also difficult to see the actual colour of the beads, too.

[]
Jules

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 01:08 PM
work is lovely. photo wise, need extra light, the background distracting for those colours and be careful with focus, some look alittle blurry.
hope that helps
Em

CyberPaddy66
04-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I really like these, they almost look like an expensive rosary :D

Bernie
04-09-2009, 07:37 PM
I think the necklace is stunning and I'm a huge sucker for Haematite, love the stuff.
The photographs are also exceptionally good but George is right, the white balance is off hence the greenish hue. It's easily rectified by experimenting with the camera setting or just adjust the colour balance by adding blue and magenta to the picture in your picture software.

The Dragon
04-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Ok I've taken some of your comments on board - thank you all so much for your feedback!

Below is the 2nd attempt at photographing this piece. Basically I've changed the background to something lighter and used one of those daylight lamps reflected off some foil to light the piece. The other fundamental difference is I've used my new DSLR camera.

Again any comments on possible improvements would be most welcome.

I do have another problem - I forgot to record how long it took to consrutct the necklace (it was a bad week biting and bobbing) so I'm not sure what to charge for it any suggestions on how to gauge it would be welcome as well although I will understand if you think that's hard to do.

Thanks again <3<3

Emerald
04-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh wow that looks brilliant.

I tend to add up all my material cost and then how much i would like to be paid per hour and then add an extra couple of quid on top lol, i will never make any money will i#-o

Di Sandland
04-09-2009, 10:11 PM
much better pictures! I don't know how to help you with pricing tho - other than to say that getting those crystals along with the two silver spacers inside the haem donuts can be a pain in the bum! To thread mine that had only that aspect it took 30 minutes (those little spacers are a bugger). Yours must have taken double that because of the other part of the design.

Not being much help am I? I'll just get me coat...

Bernie
04-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Those are spot on, great shots.

bustagasket
04-09-2009, 10:14 PM
wow now you can really see the colour of the crystals thats an amaxing difference well done!