PDA

View Full Version : Drill help

ruby
31-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie and could do with some advice from all you experts.

I've just starting to get into jewellery making and build up my toolkit, and I'm a bit confused about what kind of drill to get. There seem to be three on the cooksons website very similar in price (approx £40) but I can't really tell the difference between them! Which of these is best for a beginner?

Also, do these kits contain what I need to polish pieces properly or do I need the additional polishing kit?

Any advice gratefully received :)

Thanks,

ruby

mizgeorge
31-08-2009, 07:21 PM
It depends on what sort of drilling you want to do to be honest. For making holes, I used a hand drill (archimedes and bow types) until I could afford to get a proper pendant drill. I have a dremel (a valentine's present from my OH about 10 years ago!) but really only use it only for cutting coils of wire.

If you want to use any drill for polishing, I would try to get one with a foot control at the very least, you seem to run out of fingers otherwise! I've always found it rather complicated to have to set the speed with one switch and then switch on and off with another, rather than having variable control. I can't actually see what's included in the kits, but I think the polishing kit is on the expensive side to start out with. I still haven't got half the stuff in it :) There again, I enjoy polishing by hand, so perhaps I'm missing out on something.

I think there people around with the hobby drills though, so I'm sure one of them will be along to help :)

Can I also say welcome to the forum - you'll find lots of lovely helpful people around in just about every style of jewellery making you could ask for.

Emerald
31-08-2009, 07:29 PM
The Drill in Cooksons looks a really good price and you seem to get a lot with it i have a variable speed and up to know have had no problems :Y:

bustagasket
31-08-2009, 07:43 PM
I dont have any advice but welcome to the forums anyway :):~:

ruby
31-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, and the warm welcome.

I don't want anything too fancy (or expensive!) so JasonJohn's recommendation seems a good bet.

Thanks very much.

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 10:11 AM
I started out with a mini drill (Mini craft) and a flexi shaft, though I now have a pendant drill. It was good though :). Also worth considering you can cheap pillar drills at B&Q (I still use mine, bought it for £30 own brand) for crucial straight holes....a little hand vice archimedes drill is invaluable too for drilling.
And welcome to the forum, let us know how you get on!
Em

Atelier Ava
02-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Em, I still have and use my Mini Craft, it has been an amazing workhorse and is only now showing signs of giving up. I am going to treat myself to a pendant drill very soon but until then the Mini Craft has been one of my best investments.:)
Paula

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 03:14 PM
It is good isn't Paula, especially all the attachments to make it variable speed, pillar drill, flex shaft etc
Em

ben b
02-09-2009, 06:43 PM

caroleallen
02-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Pendant drills are best. I also have a dremel with flexi shaft but I can't get it to work properly. It loses speed when the flexi shaft is attached for some reason. I just keep it as a spare in case my pendant drill packs up as I'd be lost without it.

ben b
03-09-2009, 12:53 AM