PDA

View Full Version : Can I put lamp work beads in the tumble polisher and expect them to stay shiny?

susieq
31-10-2014, 12:03 AM
Well, just that really.

I am very very very close to being able to post in this months theme competition, which i think may be a first for me for this year! Components tumbling as I type although it could all go pear shaped when I try to assemble everything at the eleventh hour tomorrow. (Tomorrow being payday from the day job with after work drinks, so it really will be eleventh hour). I can't do anything more tonight, unless I assemble various bits now, which means adding lamp work glass beads and throwing back into the tumbler.

But will the shot scratch the beads? I do have pointy bits in the shot, but the edges are quite rounded.

Thoughts? (other than being more organised in the future ....).

Thanks, Susie

caroleallen
31-10-2014, 08:00 AM
I don't know Susie but if you have a spare bead, it's worth a try to see how it goes.

Claire D
31-10-2014, 10:36 AM
I've tumbled sea glass and had no problems whatsoever. I haven't tried it with lampwork beads yet but I know someone who does tumble those as well as czech glass beads and she says as long as they're good quality ones then they're fine. I think the only way is to try it!

mizgeorge
31-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Lampworked glass is absolutely fine to tumble - glass is harder than stainless on the mohs scale by about 0.25-0.5, but you need to be sure there aren't any undercut dots, very raised surface decoration (including silver wire) or anything else that could be compromised by being bashed about a bit. You need to be sure the beads have been annealed as well - but that's always the case for anything bigger than a spacer!

You can also use your tumber with either reducing grades of grit or with cut up bits of wet and dry paper/micromesh to 'etch' the beads without needing acid.

Claire D
31-10-2014, 12:13 PM
You can also use your tumber with either reducing grades of grit or with cut up bits of wet and dry paper/micromesh to 'etch' the beads without needing acid.

George,
If you were to do this would you still put in the steel shot? Or would it just be bits of wet and dry and some water? Sounds like something I want to try!

mizgeorge
31-10-2014, 12:47 PM
I generally just use the cut up bits of wet and dry (or grit if you have a separate barrel) with a handful of pony beads (the plastic ones) for bulk and the beads. No shot. The results can be lovely, with a soft matte finish like sea glass. Not all glass behaves the same, and any little nooks and crannies tend to stay fairly shiny, so best for plain shapes.