PDA

View Full Version : Stone Identification Help...

Pickle
29-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Hi there,
On a walk this morning, I found this stone on the banks of the river Tweed, just on the England/Scotland Border. Got all excited thinking it's a rough Cheviot Agate type thing or maybe Jasper but now I'm not sure. Shards of it, almost glass-like are splintering off when I go at it with a mallet and chisel. A steel file doesn't make a mark on it. It's translucent when held up to the light. Wet and dry photos attached. Anyone any ideas or inklings? I have a handful of Cheviot agate and Cheviot jasper cabs to set for Christmas presents - would be great to say that this is what the cabs would look like in their raw form...as you can probably tell, I'm a bit of an agate-lover :-)
xx684168426843

CJ57
29-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Looks like agate of some sort, have found similar in the fields in Fife or at Balmerino or Arbroath beaches. I'll have a look for them later and we can compare. I think I chucked them into the gravel in the garden as I though if I hadn't done anything with them after 30 years.....

Pickle
29-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks Caroline....now where can I stash mine for years until I forget about it? hehehe!! It's really heavy so could possible make a good door stop ;) x

Dennis
29-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Is it flint? you could make arrow heads, or invent a tool for cutting things.

Goldsmith
29-10-2014, 03:09 PM
I have got boxes of stone stored in my shed that I bought from a lapidary company when they closed down, I ought to find someone who wants to buy them.

James

Pickle
29-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Probably Dennis - was just reading up on flint/chert - valuable in its time but not now we have steel!!
Wow James - some lovely looking specimens there. Have you ever tried cabbing any of them?

Goldsmith
29-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Probably Dennis - was just reading up on flint/chert - valuable in its time but not now we have steel!!
Wow James - some lovely looking specimens there. Have you ever tried cabbing any of them?

No I have not cut any cabs, but I have sliced a few for antique restoration work, that was before I sold my slab saws to Stu.

James

BarryM
29-10-2014, 04:36 PM
It looks distinctly like some from of metamorphic rock to me - possibly a metamorphosed quartzite?? A gneiss?

Pickle
31-10-2014, 09:33 AM
It looks distinctly like some from of metamorphic rock to me - possibly a metamorphosed quartzite?? A gneiss?
Thank you Barry and everyone for your thoughts. I have come to the conclusion that if I can smooth off a shard I may see if I can make something nice for me when I get the time. The rest will, indeed, take pride of place as a doorstop :)