PDA

View Full Version : Finishing an embossed piece

silver70
23-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Hi,

Me again with more questions! Let me know when you are bored! Haha!

I am now onto finishing an embossed piece - a flat pendant with an embossed pattern.

I am a little unsure of how to finish it - can I use the radial disks I purchased from cooksons all over or do I need to do the raised bits as a seperate entity?

Am a bit scared if I finish all over I will grind down the embossed pattern if you see what I mean.

Many thanks for your patience!!

caroleallen
23-10-2014, 07:01 PM
How have you embossed the pattern?

silver70
23-10-2014, 07:37 PM
With the rolling mill.

caroleallen
23-10-2014, 07:48 PM
It should be fine with radial disks or you could polish it with a mop.

silver70
23-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks - I am just thinking before the mop - it's scratched and needs a "sand" - just don't want to ruin the highs and lows of the pattern! Thanks.

caroleallen
23-10-2014, 09:14 PM
I think I would use micro mesh.

CJ57
23-10-2014, 10:59 PM
Just a wee reminder to have a good finish before you texture, scratch free so that you aren't having to work the pattern too much

Dennis
23-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Yes, heed what Caroline says and make sure there are no scratches and disfigurements before you texture. Then cover vulnerable parts with masking tape while piercing and filing. A gritty work top and bench peg will introduce hideous new scratches.

The best way to finish textures without diminishing them is by burnishing alone. This can be achieved in a tumbler, but simplest of all is a wet jeweller's brass brush and liquid soap.

Most of my work is textured and is finished in that way.

If some recesses are too narrow and get missed out then a blue radial disk run quite slowly will work. I might then return to the brush to even out the shine.
Anything coarser, will begin to undo the texture. Dennis.

silver70
24-10-2014, 05:22 AM
Many thanks all - it's not all textured - it's patterned in some places and not in others. But thanks will try all the above!

Can't wait for my radial disks to arrive! :)