PDA

View Full Version : Where to start

Sassoon
21-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Hi, can anyone help me Iv been making and selling jewellery on a small scale mainly to family and friends for a few years, I'm now looking to expand but I really don't know where to go from here,
I'd love to have my own web site where I could sell my stuff Iv listed on Pinterest and esty in the past,
please any advice is welcome, Thanks John.

Dennis
21-10-2014, 09:42 PM
You could start by putting key words and phrases into our search box, top right.
For instance 'how to sell' brings up a page with three threads of interest to you: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/search.php?searchid=460239

enigma
21-10-2014, 09:56 PM
A website is great but you have to look on it as a platform rather than a way of marketing on its own.
Its a viewing centre for people to see ( and hopefully purchase!) your work, but you then need to get your target audience to see it.
As far as the website goes you need to consider how you want to list things etc, I had mine from when I painted but if I was starting a new one for jewellery I would have gone with one that had more options available for each listing.

Marketing is always the biggest challenge really though. If you can find yourself a niche market it makes it easier I think-google ad words works well for me for example but Im not sure it would work so well unless you had something of a niche market as you would get lost in the competition :/

Lucie
22-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Selling online can be great, but I think most people seriously underestimate the volume of work & time a decent SEO takes.
If you haven't got a spare £100 a month to pay someone (which by the way, I don't :-O), buy a few SEO books on Amazon & see how you think you'll get on with it.
It doesn't have to be expensive, but I seem to end up splitting my time 50% jewellery making, 50% marketing.
You can have an amazing website, facebook / twitter page, but if you're on page 8 of a Google search & only have 100 friends as facebook fans, it can be unbelievably frustrating!

Tabby66
22-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Hi, can anyone help me Iv been making and selling jewellery on a small scale mainly to family and friends for a few years, I'm now looking to expand but I really don't know where to go from here,
I'd love to have my own web site where I could sell my stuff Iv listed on Pinterest and esty in the past,
please any advice is welcome, Thanks John.

Hi John, Are you looking for advice regarding making or selling to a wider market?? Or both??