PDA

View Full Version : Lithoplate

Vanessa
18-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Hi all

Does anyone know where I can purchase soft soap? My tutor has advised we start to make models of our insects, I've made an initial model from fimo and now want to progress on to make a further model from aluminium as was also suggested. I haven't got aluminium but do have a stash of lithoplate which I can shape and super glue together. I've read on an old aeromodelling forum that to anneal lithoplate or aluminium you should rub it with soft soap then heat it gently with a torch until the soap bubbles and turns black. I know soft soap is a green gloopy substance but have never seen it on sale anywhere... any suggestions?

Thanks V

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Dennis
18-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Soft soap is still around, mainly for leather care: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=+buy+Soft+soap+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp&gfe_rd=cr&ei=_uNCVMWIBtLH8geavoKwCw

Even so, I would just try a wetted bar of plain soap, Vanessa, I'm willing to bet that it will give a good even coat. Let us know whether it works

mizgeorge
18-10-2014, 11:36 PM
I just rub a bar of regular dry soap onto aluminium when annealing. I aim for a whitish film that's fairly even. When it turns dark brown/black, it's annealed. It just washes off afterwards.

ps_bond
19-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Similarly, I use a small bar of ordinary soap when heat treating small bits of steel to reduce scale; warm the metal slightly, rub the soap on.