PDA

View Full Version : Creating circular flat spots

Nick martin
17-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Hi all,

Got a design idea in my head but there's a small detail that's puzzling me.

For example.. Imagine a solid silver sphere, well I'm trying to figure out how to create 'circular' flat spots at random points on the sphere.

Of course I could plane off flat areas with a file, but that would wreck my design, so need to create circular flat spots instead. Any ideas please?

I'm sure it'll be obvious and I'll look very stupid, but I've currently got brain freeze!

Thanks,

Nick

Dennis
17-10-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm a bit lost here Nick, because it seems to me that the only way to create circular flat areas on a silver ball is to remove silver by:

Filing, touching it on a grind stone, or possibly using flat ended burrs such as these from Walsh.

https://www.hswalsh.com/product/fraizer-fig-412-wheel-head-please-select-size

However they would need the control afforded by a small pillar drill and a drill vice. Dennis

Tabby66
18-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Just to help my thinking Nick, approx what size sphere and what size(s) flat spots??

Patstone
18-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Those burrs may work Dennis, but you would have to do it very carefully otherwise you could end up with a ridge which would be difficult to remove.

caroleallen
18-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Would it be easier to make it in wax and get it cast?

Patstone
18-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Yes that's a good idea, much easier.

Nick martin
18-10-2014, 08:24 AM
The size of the sphere would be quite small due to the weight of it with it being solid. Maybe size of a small marble.

Each 'facet' needs to be circular and flat. Basically I'm wanting to flush set a lot of small stones into these facets at random points so.. If the stones 2.5mm then I'd be making the facets 3.5mm or thereabouts.

Like the idea of those cutting wheels Dennis although as you say, Id need to use a pillar drill and a vice but reckon that could work.

Regarding the wax casting, although it would be simpler to create the facets in wax, it's creating the wax ball that would stump me!

Thanks everyone,

Nick