PDA

View Full Version : Loose Powder Production???

lolabead
17-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Hi,
Does this make sense to anyone? I asked a supplier if the beads were colour enhanced or dyed in any way and they said they're a 'loose powder production'.:-O

susieq
17-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Sorry,can't help but it reminded me of the time my mother asked me to buy her "dust". Sorry for hijacking the thread. I miss my mum. Alzheimers is horrible. :-(

Can't you just say you've never head that particular term before and can they elaborate?

Susie.

Dennis
17-10-2014, 09:14 PM
From a quick look I would guess it refers to the fusing of powdered glassb to create beads as here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Old-Akoso-Powder-Glass-Beads-from-Africa-/10000000000724845/g.html

BarryM
18-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Probably referring to powder coating - a method that is used to provide a very hard wearing coloured coat onto metal objects. A very fine powder of (often) a variety of enamel is formed into a liquid - about the consistency of paint, the object is then dipped into the solution (or it is sprayed on) and allowed to air dry - it is then fired in a large oven. This is used industrially in many applications where really large pieces (whole steell girders) can be coated in a continuous process on an automatic assembly line. An Austrian compamy I used to work for used powder coating on all their products (warehouse picking systems) - they had an overhead conveyor system that transported the suspended items through the whole process.

Same priniciple can be used on quite small items and if used properly can give an excellent finish, but proper surface preparation is vital as is absolute cleanliness - air borne dust will ruin the finish.

caroleallen
18-10-2014, 08:05 AM
I suppose "powder coating" is what a lot of us do when sifting enamel. Never heard it referred to as such though. For a hollow metal bead you can paint it in gum tragacanth and dip it into powdered enamel before kiln firing.

mizgeorge
18-10-2014, 10:20 AM
I suspect this is nothing to do with powder coating.

If the beads in question are glass, they're likely to be african, and made from recycled bottles, which are ground up and roughly 'fired' into new beads. These are popular with a lot of buyers because of their fair trade and eco credentials. They're not Akoso beads, but can be quite pretty (if a little unstable).

However it's more likely that they're 'gemstone' beads, which are made (usually in China) from gemstone dust and resin. They're then labelled as turquoise, pink agate, purple howlite, or just about any name the seller likes. They tend to be round, or smooth, rather than faceted and are pretty horrid. Try tapping one with a hammer to see what you get!

lolabead
18-10-2014, 01:15 PM
I suspect this is nothing to do with powder coating.

If the beads in question are glass, they're likely to be african, and made from recycled bottles, which are ground up and roughly 'fired' into new beads. These are popular with a lot of buyers because of their fair trade and eco credentials. They're not Akoso beads, but can be quite pretty (if a little unstable).

However it's more likely that they're 'gemstone' beads, which are made (usually in China) from gemstone dust and resin. They're then labelled as turquoise, pink agate, purple howlite, or just about any name the seller likes. They tend to be round, or smooth, rather than faceted and are pretty horrid. Try tapping one with a hammer to see what you get!

thanks everyone...yes George they are 'gemstone' labelled as turkey turquoise. To be honest I thought they were quite nice as I've put them with some tomato red glass Czech beads in a boho style necklace. Now though I'm thinking I don't really want this in my jewellery...=:-O

t1ggerk1ns
18-10-2014, 07:15 PM
It is not unusual to find even quality turquoise beads made from dust. One of the problems is that turquoise is really soft and so when trying to shape it it leads to a lot of wastage. This method of producing both beads and cabs gives a lower cost item but can still be called turquoise.