PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice needed re: Platinol

15-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Hi folks, today I received my first bottle of Platinol, read all the hazard instructions (scared me half to death!) but I didn't read any specifics about how to apply the Platinol. I know from other peoples previous posts that if using to highlight words, to use a paintbrush, which I did. But it didn't occur to me that I would need to rinse it off.... Not until now that is, about 4 hours later!#-o Arrgghh! Can anyone advise what I should do? Rinse it as much as possible and then neutralise and sand to remove any excess? Also, should I wear gloves when rinsing it or is it ok with your hands? Many thanks, the sooner you can advise the better as I can get on and remove it without leaving it on any longer! (Ps. It is on a piece of fired PMC). Thanks

mizgeorge
15-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Rinse - definitely!
Neutralise - I would do so on PMC as it remains a lot more porous than, for example, regular sterling. I use a bicarb solution.

Then just polish back - I use micromesh for this, but polishing pads will work just as well, and you should get a good shine everywhere other than recesses.

I have no problems with rinsing using my hands, but if you're dipping, always use tongs or good gloves.

15-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Rinse - definitely!
Neutralise - I would do so on PMC as it remains a lot more porous than, for example, regular sterling. I use a bicarb solution.

Then just polish back - I use micromesh for this, but polishing pads will work just as well, and you should get a good shine everywhere other than recesses.

I have no problems with rinsing using my hands, but if you're dipping, always use tongs or good gloves.

Thanks so much George, really appreciate the response and excellent advice. Just noticed you are in the Cotswolds- me too, in the Five Valleys :-)

Dennis
15-10-2014, 08:50 PM
As George says, the finish can be varied according to what you use on it.

For instance a natural bristle nail-brush and soap will just give a sheen, but improve the recesses.

A silver cloth is the most gentle of all for rubbing up the highlights until you reach the antique effect you are after. Dennis.

mizgeorge
15-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks so much George, really appreciate the response and excellent advice. Just noticed you are in the Cotswolds- me too, in the Five Valleys :-)

You're not far at all then - I'm in Ciren, so just down the road :)

PeppermintPurple
16-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Ooh....what happens if you don't rinse ? Not used any yet, but considering buying ......

CJ57
16-10-2014, 10:19 AM
If you don't rinse then you won't stop the process immediately although being in the air for a length of time will eventually stop the process I would think as the solution eventually goes 'off' when it loses colour. It's quite toxic so I wouldn't want the residue on my skin to be honest but as I've not tried not rinsing and always wear gloves, then I can't say what will happen to the skin of your customer, not a chance I'd like to take