PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic bangles.

Patstone
15-10-2014, 08:07 AM
My mum bought a magnetic bracelet for hubby as he has arthritis in both knees, he doesn't wear it as he doesn't like jewellery other than his wedding ring. I also have a touch of arthritis in my knee but always scoffed at the bracelets thinking they couldn't possibly work. Tried on hubbies for a few days and the pain is definitely less. Don't like the colour of it as its a cheap gold colour, will it still work the same if I take out the magnets and make a silver bracelet with them in as silver is non magnetic.

Dennis
15-10-2014, 06:10 PM
The placebo effect is such that almost any so called treatment could make you better Pat. Hence the success of charlatans. The effect, if not of lasting value, will often wane after 2-3 weeks.

To test it truly requires a double blind trial of a significant number of volunteers, where neither the volunteers nor the experimenter, know what the 'remedy' contains. In this case it would be magnets for some and inert disks for others.

Once the successes and failures are recorded, it will be time to disclose whether they are statistically greater for those who have been treated with the supposed remedy. Dennis.

Patstone
16-10-2014, 12:30 PM
My mum who is 96 bought it for hubby as he is in so much pain, jokingly I put it on and said the pain in my knee had disappeared. Forgot that I had it on and went to bed and in the morning noticed that the pain in my knee had really gone and that I still had the bracelet on. That will teach me to scoff. Who knows if it works or not, my gut tells me its rubbish, but the mind is a powerful tool, and if it convinces me that the bracelet works........who am I to argue.

caroleallen
16-10-2014, 12:59 PM
My daughter's horse had very painful arthritic legs so we bought some magnetic leg bandages. We noticed a huge improvement.

Patstone
16-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Your daughter has a horse too, so has mine. In a previous life I was married to a farmer so we all rode, not sure what came first with her, walking or riding.

caroleallen
16-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Sadly not any more Pat. He broke a leg and had to be put down. She's riding someone else's horse now but is desperate for her own.