PDA

View Full Version : settings for quartz tips newbie questions

Rockpapersilver
13-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Hi all
I am trying to learn about settings and have managed to make a few bezels from scratch and the more I learn I realise the more there is to know! I'm going to try most of the obvious settings out but there are a couple I am puzzled about. I wondered if anyone can explain how to set a cab or a crystal tip with a siver band going across it like a belt? (see picture of amber below) I can't fathom how it is done as surely it needs to have a really snug fit or it would drop out? is cement used? and what about a crystal tip as a drop? (see other picture below) Does the stone have to be cut in a certain way or is there another technique involved? I enclose a couple of photos as examples. I have tried to search for tutorials but I don't even know the correct name of the settings and other keyword type searches have provided unfruitful. Thanks for any help!

Didi
13-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Hi there. If you're wanting to get into stone setting try John Cogswells book. Its fab and covers most settings
Good luck
Didi

Rockpapersilver
13-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Thanks Didi, I'll check it out. Does anyone know what the settings are called on the examples I gave? ie are they bezels of some sort?

Dennis
14-10-2014, 08:43 AM
There are several ways of doing this, but here are some ideas:

For the crystal, ideally you would drill or get it drilled right through and then use a slightly loose rivet. This would allow the bail to swivel, which gives extra movement.

If you are nervous about cracking the crystal, a thin tube rivet can be used. This can be spread at each end with a sharp object such as a scriber, and only tapped very lightly at the end with a tiny hammer or riveting wheel on a flex shaft.

For the cabochons, it does seem a pity to cover them, as the purpose of a setting is to show off the stone. However it could be done by pushing the stone in from behind and then setting the back edge by the usual methods of pushing and rubbing over.

Dennis.

Rockpapersilver
14-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks Dennis, that's helped to de-mystify it for me a little! I agree with you about covering the cabs, it is a shame to conceal part of the whole, but interesting to see how it's done, so thanks for the information

CJ57
14-10-2014, 01:50 PM
I own one of those crystals and I have to admit on looking at it I can't tell how it's fitted. I wonder if it's just glued but I'm loathe to give it a yank to see:) mine does appear to have some glue residue, no sign of a rivet, which is how I would do it if the stone was drilled.

Dennis
14-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Yes although I am not phobic about glue, it is difficult to hide around translucent stones, and liable to interfere with the refraction of light.

CJ57
14-10-2014, 02:09 PM
I think the hexagon is perhaps specific to certain stones as mine is also a tourmaline and they are for protection. The clear dowsing crystals are mounted quite differently and I think also glued as there is no obvious sign of any fixture
They are well made and I don't think we could make them as cheaply as they sell them

Rockpapersilver
14-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks Caroline - I appreciate your input. Each time I see these crystals it puzzles me how they are made, so thanks for your thoughts :)

CJ57
14-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Thanks Caroline - I appreciate your input. Each time I see these crystals it puzzles me how they are made, so thanks for your thoughts :)
Just my thoughts so not gospel but I do have them in front of me!
Maybe as they tend to be sold as spiritual pieces there is something else afoot that we don't know about, little workshops of little people beavering away :)

Rockpapersilver
14-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Just my thoughts so not gospel but I do have them in front of me!
Maybe as they tend to be sold as spiritual pieces there is something else afoot that we don't know about, little workshops of little people beavering away :)
Ha - yes, I LOVE that notion =D>

Gemsetterchris
10-02-2016, 05:08 AM
I'm sat at 7am with first coffee of the day wondering wtf am I reading.
Definately sounds like Peter speak.

ps_bond
10-02-2016, 06:39 AM
Well, it caught my attention - but perhaps not in the way the (ex) user wanted. I'd been expecting it.

Nick martin
10-02-2016, 07:06 AM
The other method for the 'belt setting' on the cabochons of course, is to make a very snug fitting and to use something like a laser welder / PUK to weld the seam shut. The heat generated is so minimal and localised that it wont wreck the stone.

However I think its a daft setting because the stones covered and its not that pleasing to the eye!

Nick

china
18-02-2016, 02:35 PM
I don't know about the UK but here in Australia crystal points as shown are simply fixed with epoxy