PDA

View Full Version : Don't Spoil My Fun!!

Solunar Silver Studio
30-08-2009, 07:36 PM
:'( I have just bought myself a uv curing light just so I can play with your new Photopolymer Kit...

Ooooo - I was so excited!!:dance:......

But the only photopolymer things I can find on the website are the plate refills...

And I can't find either in the Cookbook!!:N:

What's a girl to do...except perhaps go paint her nails?

How do I get a Photopolymer Plate Kit into my basket?.....Hmmmmm?? :help:

mizgeorge
30-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Don't know the answer Barbara, but good grief those refill plates are expensive!!!

I use an imagepac system (the most basic one starts at under £20), which is cured with a regular desk light, and the same size refill plates cost less than £1.70, and less still if bought in bulk.

As far as I can work out, the end results are pretty much identical.

Di Sandland
30-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I was gonna buy the kit featured in the Cooksons catalogue this week - out of stock! Now I don't feel so disappointed - sorry Barbara.

mizgeorge
31-08-2009, 09:35 AM
If you want to have a look at the imagepac system (originally designed for rubber stampers), take a look here:

http://www.imagepacdaylight.co.uk/Default.asp

I can't say I use mine that often (I use art clay only rarely, and barely ever stamp these days) but it's an excellent piece of kit, and very easy to use.

Di Sandland
31-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Cheers, George - far more affordable plus the benefit of not needing UV!

Solunar Silver Studio
31-08-2009, 10:59 AM
...but I've gone and got a light now!!:'(.

They do look a lot cheaper don't they? I wonder if they still work with the uv....are they even the same thing??:confused:

I get the impression they are liquid filled sachets - am I right? Whereas the Cooksons ones are plates you can cut to the size you want.....

Have you had experience with both types George? Or you Nic? Is there any one who can give a comparative analysis??

When anyone 'Cooksons' comes on line...could they see what is going on with the PPP Kits in the mini catalogue. I know there are at least 2 people in Runcorn who wanted to order it...so multiply this up country wide and you have a lot of disappointed customers!!

:-()....If you haven't got it...don't flaunt it!!....:mad:

MuranoSilver
31-08-2009, 11:28 AM
The image pack ones do fabulous impressions but tend to be a bit more "wibbly"
(like the jelly like texture stamps that you get from card making suppliers)
the PPP version is more of a defined thickness and is good for rolling the clay onto.
The Image pack are better when stamping onto the clay (on top)
I've found the ppps beter for being on the bottom. :)

mizgeorge
31-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi Barbara!
Yes, the imagepac system uses a little gel sachet - they come in all sorts of sizes though, and I can usually fit a couple of good images onto even the smallest size (or lots of bits of text to use up the extra space. You can make them a bit harder with extra light curing as well, but I agree with Nic, they do work better on top of the clay rather than underneath. And for both, of course, you have to remember to use reversed images (I still forget this sometimes!)

I used photopolymer plates in the past, with excellent results, but find the imagepac system more convenient tbh, as well as quite a bit cheaper. It does take a bit of experimentation to get the lamp distance right, but the company are incredibly helpful, and actually replaced several sachets for me free of charge at the beginning when I was following the directions and they didn't work perfectly. I can happily send you an example of a stamp made with mine if you like?

I tried searching for the kit advertised in the mini cat to no avail as well. The refils seem to be the only thing showing anywhere on the site.

There are several art clay suppliers that do have the photopolymer kit in stock though ;)

Di Sandland
31-08-2009, 11:39 AM
As I am mainly interested in using text, I think the imagepac system would probably be fine for me?

mizgeorge
31-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Shall I send you one to try Di?

Di Sandland
31-08-2009, 12:05 PM
George that would be great. Will pm you.

Solunar Silver Studio
31-08-2009, 12:57 PM
The image pack ones do fabulous impressions but tend to be a bit more "wibbly"
(like the jelly like texture stamps that you get from card making suppliers)
the PPP version is more of a defined thickness and is good for rolling the clay onto.
The Image pack are better when stamping onto the clay (on top)
I've found the ppps beter for being on the bottom.

Hi Barbara!
Yes, the imagepac system uses a little gel sachet - they come in all sorts of sizes though, and I can usually fit a couple of good images onto even the smallest size (or lots of bits of text to use up the extra space. You can make them a bit harder with extra light curing as well, but I agree with Nic, they do work better on top of the clay rather than underneath. And for both, of course, you have to remember to use reversed images (I still forget this sometimes!)

I used photopolymer plates in the past, with excellent results, but find the imagepac system more convenient tbh, as well as quite a bit cheaper. It does take a bit of experimentation to get the lamp distance right, but the company are incredibly helpful, and actually replaced several sachets for me free of charge at the beginning when I was following the directions and they didn't work perfectly. I can happily send you an example of a stamp made with mine if you like?

I tried searching for the kit advertised in the mini cat to no avail as well. The refils seem to be the only thing showing anywhere on the site.

There are several art clay suppliers that do have the photopolymer kit in stock though

Thank you both....you are being incredibly helpful here! ...and yes please George, I would love to see one of your stamps!!

I sent an email to them from your link above George to ask if I could use a uv tunnel to cure the sachets...since I have bought the damn thing now!!...and he (Paul) replied in about 5 minutes saying that it can be used and he would send me further details...so that was very helpful...Good customer service!!:Y:

Anyway - I haven't got enough now to put in an order to Cooksons - so I am joining up with a friend to get my bits and bobs...but he was also interested in the polymer plates - so between us... and Di, Cooksons has missed out on a few quid. I was also going to order some polishing sticks...... 998 024 in the Cookbook - non existant on the website.....:N: I'm not having a very good weekend!!:'(

mizgeorge
31-08-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm with you on the polishing sticks Barbara, I spent a ridiculous amount of time (and variations on spelling and name) trying to find them on Friday and failed dismally. I don't mind if stuff's out of stock, but having it in the big book and no reference at all on the website (even just a note to say discontinued) is infuriating!

PM me your address and I'll pop something in the post to you - can't promise how relevant it will be, but it'll be an example at least!

MuranoSilver
31-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Are we talking those little thin white jobbies??
I've got some of those polishing sticks and couldn't get on with them...
Does anyone want to give them a go?

Solunar Silver Studio
31-08-2009, 01:08 PM
You are a little gem George!! :ta: It will be great just to see what sort of finished article I will be aiming for! I'm beginning to get all excited again!! :dance: It's not often I get the chance to try some new technology with a price tag I can afford!!:-D Thanks for all your help girls...you can be sure I'll be back with loads of questions within 10 days or so!!:rofl:

Solunar Silver Studio
31-08-2009, 01:13 PM

I wondered what you were talking about there for a moment!!:confused:.... Yep, thems the ones...bonded glass fibre. It has its own special little write up in the book. I've never used them before...but still on my quest for finding the perfect polishing tool for my nooks and crannies I thought I'd give them a go!... I take it you wouldn't recomment them for your little crevices then?

mizgeorge
31-08-2009, 01:13 PM

Them's the ones Nic!
I love 'em for little fiddly corners :)

swap??

MuranoSilver
31-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I didn't get on with them but if you or George can use them I'd be glad to help!
Think they're in my bench drawer at work, I'll have a look tomorrow for them :)
Nic x

mizgeorge
31-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Bless you Nic []

Emerald
31-08-2009, 03:42 PM
there for a moment!!:confused:.... Yep, thems the ones...bonded glass fibre. It has its own special little write up in the book. I've never used them before...but still on my quest for finding the perfect polishing tool for my nooks and crannies I thought I'd give them a go!... I take it you wouldn't recomment them for your little crevices then?

if you want to polish cut out crevices soft string covered in rouge is very good:)

AlexandraBuckle
31-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I didn't get on with them but if you or George can use them I'd be glad to help!
Think they're in my bench drawer at work, I'll have a look tomorrow for them :)
Nic x

I got some of those too and also didn't get on with them.

I can send mine to whoever doesn't get Nic's :)

Solunar Silver Studio
02-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I just thought I would let you know that I got my NEW uv light in the post this morning.... It is a lot bigger than I thought so I could do all sorts of stuff with it!! All I need to do now is decide what sort of photopolymer to use in it... I have had a couple of really helpful replies from the 'liquid in sachet' people....so I think they will get my custom - at first anyway! I still don't know what happened to the Cooksons stuff though....:dontknow: Has anyone had any updates??

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Missing even more trade I didn't even know they had them as I only use the website since they charge for catalogue.
I like the UV PPPs, nice and firm good depth for clay. I get mine from www.pajed.co.uk.
Also you can use UV light for UV resins....
Em

Solunar Silver Studio
05-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi Barbara!

There are several art clay suppliers that do have the photopolymer kit in stock though ;)

The postie has just come and delivered your little prezzie! Thank you so much George...I can't wait to have a play now!!:dance:

Do you only really use the A8 size? I suppose it will be the most practical for pmc use won't it?

I've just looked at the site again ...is there anything else that you recommend I get...what are the exposure salts, and are they really necessary?

I've got loads of acrylic offcuts here which I could back the finished stamps with as I assume this would make them more stable in use - especially if they are better used on top of the pmc. Is there anything else I need to think of??

I must say - I am really impressed with the stamp...when 'wibbly' was mentioned I was expecting the consistancy of a jelly cube but this is really quite firm, isn't it?

It really was good of you to send it George :ta:, you are a real sweetie!![]

mizgeorge
05-09-2009, 10:28 AM
You're welcome Barbara - I thought you might like that design! And yes, any old bit of acrylic works perfectly as a backing. Clear is best so you can see what you're doing - it's one of the nice things about this system rather than the convention rubber texture sheets or stamps.

I do like to use the salts, I think they help harden everything up - I think they're pretty firm. You can also overcure a bit to get an even deeper etch, which can help with very fine designs.

As for size, I think they have a selection pack, and the larger sachets are more economical. However, I tend to want to make things RIGHT NOW and it's a pain having to come up with extra design bits to fill a sheet to justify using a larger one! I definitely use the smallest ones most, and then the a7 for making larger text areas or backgroundy stuff.

If you've got an ink pad knocking around, you can use it on paper too! They're also a very easy way of making your own logo stamps for packaging and stuff.

Di Sandland
05-09-2009, 10:33 AM
The postie has just come and delivered your little prezzie! Thank you so much George...I can't wait to have a play now!!:dance:

Do you only really use the A8 size? I suppose it will be the most practical for pmc use won't it?

I've just looked at the site again ...is there anything else that you recommend I get...what are the exposure salts, and are they really necessary?

I've got loads of acrylic offcuts here which I could back the finished stamps with as I assume this would make them more stable in use - especially if they are better used on top of the pmc. Is there anything else I need to think of??

I must say - I am really impressed with the stamp...when 'wibbly' was mentioned I was expecting the consistancy of a jelly cube but this is really quite firm, isn't it?

It really was good of you to send it George :ta:, you are a real sweetie!![]

What she said - thanks George. I am sold. And I love that design :X

Solunar Silver Studio
05-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Ooo - I never thought about using them for packaging.....WOW!! ...brain explodes with new ideas!!!:dance:

I'll invest in the exposure salts as well then...how much do you use of them each time? They have a 50g or a 350g. How many stamps will the 50g do?

I feel like Christmas has come early!! I just wish I had a bit more time to do things. I've just got some new enamels as well - and I want to have a play with those too!! Well - I guess - at least I'm not a bored housewife!!:-D

Di Sandland
05-09-2009, 10:42 AM
My postie was exceptional down-laden this morning:

Lapis Lazuli for a commission piece
New purchased lampwork beads from Rob
A lampwork bead pressie from Rob
Enough jump rings to sink the titanic (for that commission piece - thanks George)
My sample photopolymer plate
My order from the P word (and about time too)
Some AAA Biwa pearls for another commission

Died and gone to heaven - just chocolate needed for Utopia.

Emerald
05-09-2009, 11:01 AM
lol perhaps the P people have a mole on the forum.

mizgeorge
05-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Barbara, I have a 50g pot that came with my original kit, and is still going strong three (or it might even be four) years later. I don't make a huge number of stamps now, but I've made a fair quantity in the past, so they certainly last a long time!

mizgeorge
05-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Di, I'm so please it all arrived so quickly - I did warn you that was a lot of rings! They should last a little while ;)

I giggled yesterday afternoon (after I'd been to the Post Office) when you said you liked Celtic designs - what a good guess that turned out to be!

Di Sandland
05-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I giggled yesterday afternoon (after I'd been to the Post Office) when you said you liked Celtic designs - what a good guess that turned out to be!

My book stash contains a goodly number about Celts and Celtic design. Apparently, they were blue-eyed red-heads you know ;)