PDA

View Full Version : saw blades

Milomade
09-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Can someone explain to me what the numbers mean?
I bought a pack of vallorbe saw blades grade 2/0

These have been fine to cut my 0.3mm sheet metal but I'm having trouble using them to cut anything thicker. What saw blade grade would you recomend for thicker metal. I'm not sure whether a higher number guage is finer or courser [if that's the right word to use]

The Bijou Dragon
09-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Hiya,

The bigger the number the bigger the teeth so a size 4 blade is coarser than a size 2 blade and a size 2/0 blade is coarser than a 4/0 blade.

On the website it says:

Guide to size of blade required = approx. 2 1/2 teeth the gauge of metal being pierced.

While that's a bit difficult to understand I take it as being the thickness of metal (gauge) x 2 1/2.

However it's a bit confusing as it doesn't specify anywhere the amount of teeth to the inch or cm for each blade so unless the information is elsewhere it doesn't really help.

If you use a coarser tooth blade you do have to put more effort into it which can lead to more broken blades.

Just take your time and cut for longer imho.

Edit - Just did some further research for you : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saw_piercing

HMPjewellery
15-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I Wish....

Cooksons would do a variety pack of saw blades with a guide to go with it!? (such as 0.5 sheet = (number) blade, 0.8 sheet = (number) blade and so on....a wall poster perhaps...

they would sell like hot cakes for sure, especially for people like me who, no matter how hard she thinks can never work out what blade she needs:rolleyes:!

Hannah thinks shes on to something here!:o

mizgeorge
28-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Does this help:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/mizgeorge/bladesizes.jpg

That said, I usually bung a Vallorbe 2/0 in for everything ;)

(sorry for the clunky picture but I'm not at home and don't have my good software here!)

bustagasket
28-07-2009, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=mizgeorge;1661]

That said, I usually bung a Vallorbe 2/0 in for everything ;)

[QUOTE]

Mut admit thats the one my tutor recommended i get, and i use it for everything too

Solunar Silver Studio
28-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Does this help:

(sorry for the clunky picture but I'm not at home and don't have my good software here!)

It sure does help...and it isn't clunky at all..cuts and pastes beautifully and is printing out as I type!! I'll laminate it later and stick it on my 'studio' wall!!

Great stuff!!...and if we get a few more NICE people who KNOW lots of STUFF and who paste it on a post in a similar clunky style...we could print all of them off and make our own wallcharts!!...that should please Hannah (HMP) too!!:)
Barbara

CyberPaddy66
23-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Juts a quick question about the gauge column... is that what the blade manufacturers recommend you use when cutting that gauge of metal?

mizgeorge
23-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Yes it is :)

Lindyloo
23-08-2009, 09:43 PM
What does the last column mean?

Lindyloo
23-08-2009, 09:45 PM
And how did you cut and paste that Barbara? My cursor won't select it.

CyberPaddy66
23-08-2009, 09:48 PM
What does the last column mean?

It's the drill size you require for a pilot hole to pass the blade through in order to cut out a shape inside another I believe.

Lindyloo
23-08-2009, 09:51 PM
oooohhhhhh

ahunter
09-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks to HMPjewellery suggestion a new saw blade set is now in stock.
Pack of 72 sawblades three sizes, 24 of each size 1, 2/0, 4/0.
Price £9.49 (inc VAT).
Saw Blade Set, 6 Dozen 2 Dozen Each No.1, 2/0, 4/0 - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Saw-Blade-Set-6-Dozen-2-Dozen-Each-No.1-20-40-prcode-999-096W)

Product information has also been updated on all saw blades to include the information requested. I'm just putting the finishing touches to the product information on the new set.

I Wish....

Cooksons would do a variety pack of saw blades with a guide to go with it!? (such as 0.5 sheet = (number) blade, 0.8 sheet = (number) blade and so on....a wall poster perhaps...

they would sell like hot cakes for sure, especially for people like me who, no matter how hard she thinks can never work out what blade she needs:rolleyes:!

Hannah thinks shes on to something here!:o

Di Sandland
09-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!

MuranoSilver
09-10-2009, 03:20 PM
now THAT is bloomin fabulous! :) :)

The Dragon
09-10-2009, 04:12 PM
:":Going to add them to my basket right now.

Thanks []

Vivia
05-11-2009, 08:35 PM
And I was just thinking about needing a 'Selection Box' type saw blade pack... cracking service! Thank you :D

Solunar Silver Studio
06-11-2009, 07:31 AM
And how did you cut and paste that Barbara? My cursor won't select it.

Sorry, I missed this one! Did you ever manage to cut and paste it Linda? If not - all I did was left click about 1cm away from the bottom right corner (if you do it too close you get a 'no go/no entry' type symbol) anyway left click and hold down while you drag up to the left top corner. About half way across the selected area turns blue to select it - so just right click 'copy' and away you go to paste where ever you fancy!!

You probably did this ages ago - but when I saw that you had asked me a direct question I couldn't ignore it - I'm just sorry it's a bit late!!:o

snow_imp
06-11-2009, 09:50 AM
I just received my 2/0 blades that George suggested for cutting jump rings - I splashed out on an adjustable saw too as my coping saw is way too big.

I'm going to try cutting some jump rings from sterling silver wire at the weekend but I have a couple of noobie questions as I've never used a saw on metal before.

I'm assuming that no lube is needed during sawing - or am I wrong?

Does the coil of wire heat up while being cut?

mizgeorge
06-11-2009, 09:55 AM
I would use some lubrication!

I like cut lube (bur life), but you can just use a candle, or beeswax. Apply it to the back of the blade to minimise it clogging up your teeth. If you're cutting really fast, the coil can warm up a little, but not enough to really feel.

If you've got some copper wire knocking around, have a practice on that first - you may find you mangle your first couple of coils getting used to sawing.

snow_imp
06-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I would use some lubrication!

I like cut lube (bur life), but you can just use a candle, or beeswax. Apply it to the back of the blade to minimise it clogging up your teeth. If you're cutting really fast, the coil can warm up a little, but not enough to really feel.

If you've got some copper wire knocking around, have a practice on that first - you may find you mangle your first couple of coils getting used to sawing.

Thanks George - I have got some copper wire I was practicing weaves with so I'll try on that first. And I actually have some candles at the moment to!! So I think I'm set for my first try.