PDA

View Full Version : The maxflame torch

mrsmccawber
10-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Hello all, am new to the forum and relatively new to silver jewellery making. Bit of a love hate relationship but am sticking at it. I was wondering if anyone had experience of the Maxflame torch that Cooksons sell. Try as I might, following all instructions to the letter, it won't fill properly. Flame lasts about a minute and then fades to nothing. Easy to empty it of Butane so it's obviously not filling properly. Have tried about three different brands of Butane to no effect. Before I return the thing, wondered if anyone out there has any ideas?????

Stacey
10-10-2014, 11:38 AM
I have the torch and have had no problems at all. One fill lasts a long time. If you are certain you are filling it correctly then the one you have is faulty and should be returned.

Ada
10-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Hi

There's a video here that might help with checking you are filling it correctly:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uTlbWjizVis

You could also give Cooksons a call and see if they can advise.

I had a similar problem with a different torch; a quick chat with the distributor (who was extremely helpful) and it became clear that I was using the wrong refill!

I hope you resolve this.

mrsmccawber
10-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Many thanks for that, from the video I seem to be doing what's required. Only thing is I might have sullied the interior with cheap butane. Anyway, will take your advice and call Cooksons before I send it back. Thanks again.

Dennis
10-10-2014, 12:30 PM
On the Cookson video, the demonstrator does not seem to show the actual filling of the torch, unless I missed it.
There are four points to watch:

1. Hold the torch upside down to fill it.
2. From the nozzles inside the cap of the refill container, choose the one that does not leak when using it.
3. The foot of the torch can prevent you from seeing properly, so remove it for filling.
4. Oh and of course make sure the torch is turned off when you start filling

There should be a soft hissing sound, but no splattering around the nozzle until the torch is full. If filling successfully, the body of the torch will become chilly. Do not continue once the torch is filled, because forcible overfilling will cause it to flare and scare you. Dennis.

mrsmccawber
10-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Thanks Dennis, I seem to be meeting all the criteria you mention, so I think I may have a faulty one.

Ada
10-10-2014, 01:05 PM
On the Cookson video, the demonstrator does not seem to show the actual filling of the torch, unless I missed it.

Perhaps not, but the video on the link I included does :)

Hopefully, between that and your clear description, success will follow. I remember how frustrating it was when I couldn't get mine to fill properly.

Dennis
10-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Perhaps not, but the video on the link I included does :)Hopefully, between that and your clear description, success will follow. I remember how frustrating it was when I couldn't get mine to fill properly.

Yes I've watched that video now Ada and it is pretty thorough. I think Cookson have missed an opportunity there and, yes I think mrsmccawber's torch is faulty too.

There was one interesting slip of the tongue in the u-tube video though: The demonstrator said that when you reduce the air hole and get a bushy flame, that was an oxidising flame.
I'm pretty sure in my own mind that it's a reducing flame and therefore less prone to generating firescale. Dennis.